• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 MadAtGrass OFFLINE  

MadAtGrass
  • Member No: 49320
  • 76 Thanks
  • 46 posts

Posted November 24, 2013 - 10:43 PM

Since I found GTT I have been thinking about my first riding mower (tractor) and I think I remember it being a Huffy but it could have been another brand. I'm really not sure, but I Googled Huffy mowers and they look like the one I had. The problem is I can only remember so much with my swiss cheese brain.

I remember it had smaller tires than a regular lawn tractor. (My father's Bolens) and I think I remember it having a deck that you had to adjust by taking out bolts and dropping the deck, then bolting it in the new position. I know it looked like one of these three.

9301clk_27.jpeg Huffy Broadlawn 1313-td3a.jpg riding_lawn_mower_pencraft-huffy_175_ferguson_11728495.jpg

I clearly remember the rear hood supports, a 5 HP pull start motor, and a minimal dash. After that I know it was blue and white and had a cushioned seat. From there on I don't remember any names or decals that stand out.

If I know what I'm looking for I might be able to find one someday, but right now it's just fuzzy memories. I'm sure this doesn't fit as a priority GT, but it would be fun to have another one like the one I had as a kid.

• MH81, Alc, hamman and 6 others have said thanks

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted November 24, 2013 - 11:28 PM

I know what you mean. Having the one or one just like it is fun and kinda like a tribute to your childhood.

Good luck on your search.
  • hamman, oldedeeres, JRJ and 2 others have said thanks

#3 pwombles OFFLINE  

pwombles

• Member No: 7101
  • 200 Thanks
  • 220 posts

Posted November 25, 2013 - 08:32 AM

The feeling you will get when it cranks up will be priceless! I have the Massey Ferguson 8 that we had when I was growing up. The thrill I had when it fired up was undescribable. We also had a Montgomery Ward Transaxle 8 that got scrapped years ago and I always said that if I ever found another one, I would buy it. This fall, I found one and instantly struck a deal. I now have 2 boys and the look on their faces when they drive them makes it even better.DSCF5540.JPG DSCF5543.JPG DSCF4384.JPG

• MH81, Alc, JRJ and 2 others have said thanks

#4 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted November 25, 2013 - 01:39 PM

What a nice smile on the younger ones face.

Dick

• pwombles and MadAtGrass have said thanks

#5 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted November 25, 2013 - 02:54 PM

I think we all do especially thinking about that special thing we had growing up. I have very little of the things I had as a child because I would always give my stuff away when I out grew it. One of the things I think about a lot is a special bicycle Huffy came out with in the mid 60's. I wanted this bike so bad but my parents couldn't afford it at the time...it was $52. This was half my Dad's paycheck at the time. My Dad worked very hard I know to get this for me at Christmas time. I have wanted to buy this same bike many times but way too expensive. The first version in the summer was the one I'm showing but mine being the later version had a metal flake purple seat with a chrome sissy bar & a wood grain console around the gear shift knob. We're never too old to be kids again.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item4615a83d3d

• MH81, pwombles and MadAtGrass have said thanks

#6 MadAtGrass OFFLINE  

MadAtGrass
  • Member No: 49320
  • 76 Thanks
  • 46 posts

Posted November 27, 2013 - 12:55 PM

I wish our children had the same appreciation for things that we have. I had to settle for used everything, except underwear and my good school and church clothes. When I did get something new it was usually after my parents saved for it. My "allowance" was fully dependent on how many chores I got done, and whether there was any money. Usually I was allowed a candy bar instead.

The mower I'm looking for was purchased from my Uncle, and I think I paid him from what I had saved up to be able to make more money mowing the cemetery next door with the mower. My father had taken on that job for extra money and he split it with me when I did the mowing. 

Can anyone think of a mower similar to the Huffy that I could have had? For some reason the rear of the tractor doesn't look right, but the hood on the center mower looks just about perfect. I'll see if my wife and I can find any old pictures of it, but back then pictures were reserved for weddings and family reunions in my house.

• Sawdust said thank you

#7 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted November 27, 2013 - 01:20 PM

No worries, I'm trying to relive my childhood some too. Problem one is I haven't a clue the name on the first riding mower I used, I know where it went when Dad got rid of it, but it left there too. You might think typical story. Allow me to elaborate a little bit, I am only 23 lol.

Anyways, good luck in your search, I may start mine some day, but not sure there is anything to clue me in. No different than the first truck I ever drove. Still keep my eyes peeled for it, but doubt finding it. And to be truthfully honest about it. As much as I could enjoy them, they just don't have that same appeal as the classics.

#8 Bolens800uk OFFLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • Member No: 63893
  • 1,162 Thanks
  • 916 posts

Posted January 03, 2015 - 12:10 PM

Al, it could be a Rugg or perhaps a Mowett Mustang? I am no expert on these small lawn tractors. Good luck.

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,347 Thanks
  • 39,628 posts

Posted January 03, 2015 - 12:19 PM

No worries, I'm trying to relive my childhood some too. Problem one is I haven't a clue the name on the first riding mower I used, I know where it went when Dad got rid of it, but it left there too. You might think typical story. Allow me to elaborate a little bit, I am only 23 lol.

Anyways, good luck in your search, I may start mine some day, but not sure there is anything to clue me in. No different than the first truck I ever drove. Still keep my eyes peeled for it, but doubt finding it. And to be truthfully honest about it. As much as I could enjoy them, they just don't have that same appeal as the classics.

Casey, you haven't grown out of your childhood yet!

#10 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,222 Thanks
  • 5,065 posts

Posted January 03, 2015 - 03:36 PM

We had a huffy Fairlane and a huffy something. Can't remember right now when I was a kid.

I have never found either in good shape :-(

#11 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted January 03, 2015 - 03:52 PM

Listen to some Buddy Holly music . May not help but it won't hurt .

• KennyP said thank you