#1 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,625 Thanks
  • 2,577 posts

Posted November 24, 2013 - 09:53 PM

As I get older I seem to get a  more and more passioate about the meaning of Thanksgiving. In my early adult life it was about working and making money and being able to provide for my family. As time progressed and I grew to be a husband and father I realized that this time of year is for being thankful for what I have and how I got there. I've been lucky to have had some great jobs and lived in a time that a lot of history has happened. I'm not happy for the history of some events but they happened and I have to be thankful to be able to say I was here or I was there when this happened. My family has always been supportive and I have been able to stay close to my family. My sister describes our family as a " Very loving and close, but communication disfunctual" family. We try to stay in touch,some more than others however sometimes it's tough. Usually we get together on Christmas Eve at my brothers house for a party. We travel the farthest and have fun doing it. We don't get to see our grandkids all that often but we do at Christmas. I know that all of our kids (3) love us and miss us as we do them.  I am grateful for all my friends in my life. I consider friends I haven't met but do converse with on social media as part of this Thanks.

I am very grateful for this forum and being allowed to be a part of it. I have had the pleasure of talking to and being apart of some transactions here and haven't yet met a member here I don't like. I would like to meet several of those on here that I interact with and maybe some day I will. Until then I have to imagine in my mind how all of you look and hope that when you do the same for me you are generous in your imagining what I look like (LOL) , I read things on here and I feel privledged to have been allowed to see a little into your lives and your passions of not only this hobby (or Disease as my wife calls it) but you other hobbies, likes and dislikes and a small view of your world. It does mean something to me.

From our family to yours I would like to say May You and Your Family have a very safe and Happy Thanksgiving where ever you are. For those of you who have family members or friends in the millitary and their families I hope you take a minute to to give thanks to them for all that they do and what they have sacrificed.

May God Bless You All.                 Roger.

• powerking56, Alc, KennyP and 19 others have said thanks

#2 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted November 24, 2013 - 10:06 PM

Well said Roger.  I am just hoping that I am able to participate in our Thanksgiving this year.  Weather was showing some low temps and precipitation for us on Wednesday and Thursday of this week earlier today.  If thats the case it means I will be out and about clearing roads.  Hoping at this point they are wrong.

God bless to you and yours as well.

• Alc, hamman, sacsr and 5 others have said thanks

#3 T Guiles OFFLINE  

T Guiles
  • Member No: 39800
  • 952 Thanks
  • 749 posts

Posted November 24, 2013 - 11:39 PM

Thank's for the post.All to often I tend to get caught up in this thing called life, and need to be reminded of how important the little things are Thanks and have a great Thanks Giving and Christmas

• Alc, hamman, IHCubGuy and 4 others have said thanks

#4 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,835 Thanks
  • 3,185 posts

Posted November 25, 2013 - 12:13 AM

A happy Thanksgiving to all--- we had ours last month, but whenever it is celebrated I hope it raises the same awareness of family and good fortune in all of us. Peace be with us.
  • Alc, hamman, KennyP and 7 others have said thanks

#5 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted November 25, 2013 - 12:28 AM

Roger

Happy Thanksgiving.  It was an interesting read.

• hamman, IHCubGuy, bgkid2966 and 2 others have said thanks

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,367 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted November 25, 2013 - 02:31 AM

Roger, thanks for reminding us what Thanksgiving is all about! I think your sister has pegged most families!

• hamman, IHCubGuy, bgkid2966 and 2 others have said thanks

#7 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted November 25, 2013 - 07:28 AM

Couldn't have put it better myself, Roger!  I feel like I have several 'Thanksgiving's' each year...some with family, others with friends, and I look forward to them all.  As I grow older, each experience seems to become much richer, and I find myself letting go of things that motivated me to be busy in the past, and take the opportunity to interact.

• Alc, hamman, IHCubGuy and 3 others have said thanks

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,219 Thanks
  • 28,590 posts

Posted November 25, 2013 - 07:44 AM

Thanks for the well wishes, Happy Thanksgiving and Continued Blessings to your Family as well.
  • Alc, hamman, IHCubGuy and 2 others have said thanks

#9 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted November 25, 2013 - 09:36 AM

Thanks Roger.  This year both of our daughters are coming down with their respective families.  We will have all 4 kids and 12 grandkids here.  Sure hope the weather doesn't through a kink in our plans.

• Alc, hamman, IHCubGuy and 2 others have said thanks

#10 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted November 25, 2013 - 03:01 PM

Thank You Roger for the well spoken words at a time when everyone needs to be thankful for what they have. I am sending my thank yous to all and send prayers to all, have a safe and enjoyable holiday.

Dick

• hamman, IHCubGuy, sacsr and 1 other said thanks

#11 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,226 Thanks
  • 5,069 posts

Posted November 25, 2013 - 03:34 PM

I agree.

I'm 30 now.  I was very lucky to get a good job at 19(and keep it for the last 11 years).  I was making 20 dollars an hour 11 years ago.  I've had and lost a lot.  I was married the first time at 26.  Miserable time.  Thinking back now I don't think I ever realized just how unhappy I was.  I had a lot more money in those days as I worked every chance I got to try to stay away from my ex-wife, and then keep her happy with money.  Losing battle.  We divorced.  I lost everything I had.  From my dogs to my favorite chair. 

I worked all that time, lost everything I had ever worked for.  Life was at a very low point for me then.  I was very unhappy, and quite honestly I was ready to give up.  I am not afraid to admit if it wasn't for my parents I probably would of jumped off a bridge.  I had met several women after my divorce, but they were just looking for a meal ticket or they were very immature for their ages.  Then I met my current wife.  I never knew that I could be so happy. 

I am so thankful for her.  I honestly don't think I could ever thank her enough for being in my life and putting up with me.  She also brought my wonderful step daughter into my life that I love to death.  Me and her are very close.  I hope it stays that way as she gets older.  Quite possibly again we might blessed with another child(fingers crossed that it goes better this time) 

Another guy had posted on another forum about all the things he was hoping to get for Christmas.  I sat here in my chair thinking about what I could want.  I realized there is nothing I want.  I have a wonderful wife, step daughter, a home, and a meager lot of land to call my own.  There is nothing more in this world that I could want.  Honestly all I want for Christmas is another year of happiness with my family.

Edited by toomanytoys84, November 25, 2013 - 03:35 PM.

• MH81, Alc, hamman and 6 others have said thanks

#12 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,625 Thanks
  • 2,577 posts

Posted November 25, 2013 - 05:16 PM

toomany, sometimes we get caught up in the want for material things and not the want for a relationship with our family. I blame that on our way of life and the times we live in. They say 3rd time is a charm and that is where I am now and have been for 22 yrs. I have no wish for Christmas this year. My only hope is for all that I have to be all tha tI need for a very long time. The love a family and some good health. I find now more that ever that what I can do for others is somehow enough for me. I look around and see others that need more than I do. Roger.

• MH81, sacsr, HDWildBill and 3 others have said thanks

#13 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,226 Thanks
  • 5,069 posts

Posted November 25, 2013 - 07:04 PM

You are exactly right. It took me awhile to figure it out.
  • hamman and oldedeeres have said thanks

#14 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,433 posts

Posted November 25, 2013 - 07:31 PM

I myself am taking time to be home with my wife this week. Wed is a option day at school an i opted to stay home and relax so tomorrow at 11 im done with school till next monday morning.Also itll do me good to reflect on this year since its almost over an friday were gonna put up christmas stuff up around the house and spend time with each other and the animals.

• hamman, bgkid2966 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#15 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,475 Thanks
  • 2,532 posts

Posted November 25, 2013 - 10:08 PM

I too send out best wishes for the Holiday Season, and hope that your time spent with Family and Friends will be times to cherish forever. Never take these things for granted, and always hold them dear to your heart. We are all here for just a little while, so make the most of it, and reach out to those in need. Forgive those that have wronged us, and remember those that have pasted.

Times are tough for a lot of folks right now, including myself, and the future doesn't look any better. Even though the world seems to be in a state of contentment right now, there are still needs out there to be met. My goals have changed from meeting my own needs, to meeting the needs of others. I can't give much, but I'm willing to give all that I have. I'm Thankful for the job that I have, even though it may be limited, and I pray that my Boss can still provide me some work. My Family supports me with encouragement and Love, and for that, I will continue to go strong. Sometimes are easy, yet others are hard. But no matter how much it hurts, I will continue to strive on. 

Funny how life is, that most people with a lot of money and who are well off, can have anything they want, whenever they want, but aren't ever happy, as the material things that they own, don't give them the Love that they are looking for. Value and appreciation to them usually involves stocks, bonds or property investments. Most of them don't have good Family relationships, and are usually fighting with most of the ones who care about them the most. For them, I pray. 

Others, like me, on the other hand, don't have much as far as money, material things, or big fancy houses, but yet we are happy or content with what we have. The Love of both Family and Friends carries us through our everyday life style, and makes us put our value into the things that really matter, like relationships, trust, and commitment. We care about respect and appreciation, as these are what we desire from others. We work hard for what we want, and aren't afraid to get dirty doing the things we love best. You make us mad, we forgive and forget, then move on and call you a friend. That's just how we roll, and for these things, I'm Thankful and Blessed.

I hope I didn't steal your thread Roger, as that wasn't my intention. I just wanted to put something else out there for all of us to be Thankful for or to think about. May God Bless you all this Holiday Season, and I wish Happiness and safe travels to all!

Edited by johndeereelfman, November 27, 2013 - 08:59 PM.

• hamman, sacsr, backwoods and 2 others have said thanks