9 replies to this topic

#1 zolt OFFLINE  

zolt

• Member No: 1713
  • 10 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted December 19, 2010 - 02:57 AM

hello,
I'm new to gt talk and find it very informative reading. lots of people with lots of experience...
I just got a model 10, picking it up tomorrow and thought I'd start by asking a very basic question. Is the only real difference among the 10, 12. 14, and 16 the engine (horsepower)?
if I have to rebuild mine is it worth it?( I've been reading that the Tec. engines are a "throw away". it looks a lot like my 12 hp in my '74 sears tractor at the cottage.
any info or comments will be appreciated,
thanks,

#2 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 19, 2010 - 05:50 AM

zolt :welcometogttalk:glad to have you with us.

The 10 and 12 MF's are similar but the 14 and 16 quite different.They are physically bigger ,the engine sits differently ( crank is fore and aft instead of side to side ),they are shaft drive to the trans instead of belt drive.There are other differences ,that's just to name three.

The Tec engine isn't a bad engine,they have problems just like everything else.I have a Tec in one of my Bolens and have not had any trouble with it.

#3 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted December 19, 2010 - 09:43 AM

hello,
I'm new to gt talk and find it very informative reading. lots of people with lots of experience...
I just got a model 10, picking it up tomorrow and thought I'd start by asking a very basic question. Is the only real difference among the 10, 12. 14, and 16 the engine (horsepower)? if I have to rebuild mine is it worth it?( I've been reading that the Tec. engines are a "throw away". it looks a lot like my 12 hp in my '74 sears tractor at the cottage.
thanks,

In 1976 the 10 and 12 should be the same except for the engine, both being geared models. The 14 ans 16 should be the same except for the engine, both being hydrostat.
The HH100 is a good engine, although the Solid State Ignition units can go bad and replacement SSI's are hard to come by and pricey. You can convert the SSI unit to stadard parts using the Ed Stoler conversion, but it will still cost a few bucks. IMO opinion, the Tec engines are just as reliable and tough as any thing else, maybe with the exception of the SSI unit?
Post some pics when you get it..... Good luck.
Oh, btw, your sears most likely has the same Tec HH series engine as the Massey. Sears may have also used the OH in some later models?

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted December 19, 2010 - 10:04 AM

A lot of guys have put in Replacement engines over the years, but have later gone looking for an original to put back in. The Tec engine will be a good engine for you (SSI not withstanding) and if you decide to take it to shows, you have the original engine in it.

I guess it kinda depends on what's wrong with it...

#5 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted December 19, 2010 - 11:17 AM

very good engine
the only problems you will have when it comes to rebuild time is there is no aftermarket for the parts and you will have to pay$ good money for parts
or you can repower with a newer OH tecumseh

#6 101 senior OFFLINE  

101 senior

• Member No: 1393
  • 171 Thanks
  • 326 posts

Posted December 19, 2010 - 01:00 PM

hello,
I just got a model 10, picking it up tomorrow and thought I'd start by asking a very basic question. Is the only real difference among the 10, 12. 14, and 16 the engine (horsepower)?
if I have to rebuild mine is it worth it?( I've been reading that the Tec. engines are a "throw away". it looks a lot like my 12 hp in my '74 sears tractor at the cottage.
thanks,

I would take a Tec engine over a Briggs any day. They are not a kohler, but if you keep good oil in them their good engines. easy to rebuild for a limited number of times including oversizing. I ask you, when is the last time today that you buy a 1960 something-- w/ a Cast iron block engine that you take home, put gas in it, and it runs? Good luck w/ your project.

#7 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted December 19, 2010 - 03:28 PM

:wave: Welcome to GTTalk Zolt! Any of the old iron is worth rebuilding IMHO.

#8 zolt OFFLINE  

zolt

• 10 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted December 19, 2010 - 04:01 PM

About my 'new' Massey 10
that sounds good(about the engines being same) cuz the poor sears mower deck is worn right out but the motor is still as reliable as ever,
another questionm while on the sears topic, sort of, why cant i find any pictures at all about the sears tractor? --- i found plenty on all the ones that people are collecting but not the 74---it is just a very basic model and i guess nobody gives a hoot-ha,ha,
thanks,

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted December 19, 2010 - 11:49 PM

why cant i find any pictures at all about the sears tractor? --- i found plenty on all the ones that people are collecting but not the 74

Did it start out looking like this?
SS12_01a.jpg
If so, it's a SS12 or Suburban 12.

#10 zolt OFFLINE  

zolt

• 10 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted December 20, 2010 - 12:01 AM

i wish it looked like that ----very nice by the way,
i know it is not an ss or suburban,
it is at the cottage so i'm just trying to remember but it is very compact, boxy with 4 speed transaxle,
vertical shaft 12 hp, with round air cleaner on right and muffler beside it,
i've used it for several years and i cannot believe i can't remember how it looks---the joys of old age---

Did it start out looking like this?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]8403[/ATTACH]
If so, it's a SS12 or Suburban 12.