1250 Electric Troubles

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 buicfrank OFFLINE  

• Member No: 49368
  • 4 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted November 23, 2013 - 10:20 PM

Greetings gentlemen. I've lost my electrical charging system. Also having trouble with the nuetral switch. I know that all the switches have to be in certain positions for the blades to engage, BUT would this have anything to do with the charging system?  The battery (new) won't stay charged.  And the electric guage always stays on discharge.  Any ideas?

Thanks Frank

#2 shorty ONLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,327 Thanks
  • 3,756 posts

Posted November 23, 2013 - 10:32 PM

Welcome to the forums Frank!

Some one should be along shortly that will know more about your tractor.

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 24, 2013 - 06:15 AM

There shouldn't be a direct link between them. Here are some basic checks. If you have a wiring diagram try to verify the wiring to make sure it's all connected properly. Make sure the regulator and alternator coil are connected and that the connections are sound. A bad connection in the charging circuit is all it takes to keep it from working properly. Have a look for fuses and check that none are blown. Make sure you have a good connection from the engine chassis back to the - terminal on the battery. If all this checks out you can check the alternator coil for continuity and also charge the battery with a charger to make sure it's able to take a charge. 

• sacsr said thank you

#4 KennyP OFFLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,689 Thanks
  • 39,064 posts

Posted November 24, 2013 - 07:34 AM

Welcome to the forum! Here's a diagram in case you don't have it. And a service manual if you need that too.

CC 800 to1650 electric.jpeg

Attached File  19241-86-108-109-128-129-149-169-800-1000-1200-1250-1450-1650 SM.pdf   31.94MB   83 downloads

• sacsr and Sawdust have said thanks

#5 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,523 Thanks
  • 7,383 posts

Posted November 24, 2013 - 07:46 AM

Welcome to GTT. I have a JD that doesn't charge right. If the battery is drained to much it will act strange including the PTO just stopping in the middle of mowing. Good Luck, Rick

#6 jms180 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 863 Thanks
  • 1,160 posts

Posted November 24, 2013 - 08:32 AM

Welcome to GTT. With a volt meter you can check for AC voltage coming from the alternator and DC voltage at the regulator with engine running.

#7 Jlaws OFFLINE  

• Member No: 31172
  • 541 Thanks
  • 365 posts

Posted November 24, 2013 - 10:26 AM

Frank , it sounds to me like that you might have 2 electrical issues .  Check the 3 pin voltage regulators plug connection , they sometimes get corroded . With the engine running 1/2 throttle or above the two outside pins should read around 24 to 28 volts A/C . The center pin should  read 12 to 14 volts DC .

I'm going from memory but those voltages should be close and vary depending on engine RPM's .

When checking the center pin make sure you find a good clean area for the ground ( black ) probe on your voltmeter. If you have the AC voltage but nothing on the DC side (center pin) then your regulators bad .

As for your cranking issues , sometimes the PTO switch gets corroded and gives the appearance that the neutral safety switch or key switch is going bad . The PTO switch has contacts in it that close in the off position , and if the PTO switch plug has corrosion it won't crank .

I have a cub 1450 which uses the same wiring as your 1250 and I have to sometime wiggle the PTO switch while its in the off position to get it to crank.  Especially if its sat for a while as it appears the contact inside my switch oxidize after damp weather .

It appears to clean the contacts after I turn the PTO on and off a few times , and I've learned to live with it .

Good luck , Jess

Edited by Jlaws, November 24, 2013 - 10:48 AM.

• Sawdust said thank you

#8 buicfrank OFFLINE  

• Member No: 49368
  • 4 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted November 24, 2013 - 01:14 PM

Thanks for the ideas. I will probe them.  Frank