• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ricky racer OFFLINE  

ricky racer
  • Member No: 49307
  • 39 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted November 23, 2013 - 08:54 PM

I fired up my "new" PK this afternoon to move it so I could get the Cub snow blade out from behind it. The previous owner had a small coil spring (extension spring) pulling down on the clutch pedal. That didn't make sense to me, putting pressure on the throw out bearing, so I removed it. Once I started the PK I noticed a noise that I hadn't noticed before. I traced it to the clutch pedal. When I applied a bit of pressure to the pedal, the noise went away. While the noise is present, I can feel a vibration in the pedal but it seems not so much like a vibration but something contacting part of the clutch assembly as it's rotating. Any idea what that could be?

• hamman and JRJ have said thanks

#2 hamman OFFLINE  

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,519 Thanks
  • 2,551 posts

Posted November 23, 2013 - 09:09 PM

Im not sure about your PK but the gibson tractor we had as kids had a grease zerk on it. Our Allis Chakmers WCs and WD  also have one. Hope this helps. As I said I don't know for sure. Roger.

• JRJ and ricky racer have said thanks

#3 Gtractor ONLINE  

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,384 Thanks
  • 3,807 posts

Posted November 23, 2013 - 10:29 PM

sounds like the throwout bearing is just barely touching the pressure plate.  It is possible the previous owner put the spring on so the throwout bearing was firmly planted on the pressure plate as it made the noise stop.  Of course after a while it will wear the throwout bearing out because they weren't designed to run continuously.  Been too many years since I been into one to remember if there is any adjustment to those.  Maybe a [factory] return spring on the throwout bearing shaft/pivot is gone/broken?

• JRJ and ricky racer have said thanks

#4 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,489 Thanks
  • 6,364 posts

Posted November 24, 2013 - 01:21 PM

Well, common to have T-out noisey on these. No adjustments or place to grease. If been running on it, probly wore out the clutch release fingers. Three of them on pressure plate. Also can have wear on the throw-out fork or where it touches the bearing casting. Sounds like you will be tearing into it to fix.  Have to remove front sheet metal and loosen bellhouse at the 8 bolts that hold it on and loosen engine and pull it forward. No way to just remove trans and drive on these to access. Throw-out bearings are common item at good auto stores. Any of other parts can be gotten on epay usually, or other sources.

These clutches push kinda hard and have quick on/off action and are easy to make you jerk tractor.  Wonder if fella had hard time pushing and added the spring for assist?  Wasn't good idea in long run if so.

• ricky racer said thank you