13 replies to this topic

#1 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,079 posts

Posted November 23, 2013 - 02:45 PM

The other day my old garage door opener stopped lifting the door. Took it apart and found the worm gear tore apart.

Found the tag and it was built in 1994. Figured no parts available. Looked up sears parts direct and every single part that's in it could be had and was in stock.

Ordered up the parts for 25 bucks. Sure beats 200 bucks for a whole new opener. Plus I like to prove my manhood by repairing stuff instead of buying new.

I am highly impressed. I never bought anything from sears other than a stove once. I think they might have just gotten a customer out of this.

Edited by toomanytoys84, November 23, 2013 - 02:47 PM.

• hamman, tinbender7, bgkid2966 and 1 other said thanks

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,292 Thanks
  • 28,625 posts

Posted November 23, 2013 - 03:17 PM

One of the most popular brands ever in appliances has been Kenmore. Sears was so lucky here.

The real reason for the longevity and the easy repair of many of their appliance lines were most of them were built by Whirlpool. The manufacturer supplies the parts and the service information.

And so it goes with your door opener, the manufacturer is the one who is till providing parts... Not to say that Sears isn't without kudos here, they order the product from many different companies, and provide an easy and direct way to get the parts that are available.

As a side note, they also support their employees who serve in the military very well.
  • IamSherwood, tinbender7, HDWildBill and 2 others have said thanks

#3 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted November 23, 2013 - 03:18 PM

That's a good deal. I never had much luck at Sear's. Their Craftsman mechanics tools is about all I like there.

• toomanytoys84 said thank you

#4 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted November 23, 2013 - 03:27 PM

MH81 you just sparked my memory. We once had a M....g washer & dryer just total junk. My third time going to get a part I asked the parts guy what is the best appliance to get & without hesitation he said Whirlpool & Kenmore & that's because Whirlpool makes both. The little lady bought  the Kenmore top loader set & after about six years she is very happy with it & so am I. My wife also bought an old wringer washer by Kenmore at an auction circa I believe late 50's or early 60's. It's pink with chrome & works like new. It's another one of her prize possessions.

Edited by Sawdust, November 23, 2013 - 03:28 PM.

• IamSherwood, tinbender7 and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#5 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,706 Thanks
  • 8,562 posts

Posted November 23, 2013 - 03:31 PM

I like Sears direct because I have had very good luck getting parts for some old craftsman equipment and they have the manual there to download.  I can't say much for their current inventory, it seems to have gone the same way as everything else.

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,292 Thanks
  • 28,625 posts

Posted November 23, 2013 - 04:18 PM

I will emphasize that the new Whirlpool is a thin shadow of itself. Especially in the laundry department.
  • HDWildBill and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#7 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,079 posts

Posted November 23, 2013 - 04:26 PM

I can't say much for their current inventory, it seems to have gone the same way as everything else.

May be that people just don't fix or repair like we used to. I prefer to repair but really I am cheap

Edited by toomanytoys84, November 23, 2013 - 04:27 PM.

• HDWildBill said thank you

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 23, 2013 - 04:51 PM

Too bad it looks like Sears may be headed for the bin! The company is in some trouble and who knows if they can rescue it. It would be sad if it disappears . They did offer some of the best after sale service out there. It's a different world now in retail. In the old days the Sears catalog order offices were in all the small towns. They were a popular alternative for shopping. Now the internet and the big box stores are out there but they will  never be able to offer the good service that sears did. 

• IamSherwood, tinbender7 and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#9 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,706 Thanks
  • 8,562 posts

Posted November 23, 2013 - 05:34 PM

We actually still have one of those stores in a town just south of us.  Unfortunately I think some of the issue is the calber of people.  I was in the catolge store a couple of years ago, with a friend, we were ordering a couple of storage buildings.  We had to wait at the counter while the 2 employee's finished their conversation for 5 minutes.  I told them if that is type of service I could expect then I woudn't be back and I haven't.  They acted like no big deal.  There's a big sears store about 35 miles to the east.

• Alc, IamSherwood, tinbender7 and 1 other said thanks

#10 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,454 Thanks
  • 6,623 posts

Posted November 23, 2013 - 06:18 PM

I think I replaced the same worm gear !!!  It was a Sears garage opener ,We have one of those Sears Parts store not too far away  , I think they even had that in stock .

#11 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,755 Thanks
  • 7,700 posts

Posted November 23, 2013 - 06:19 PM

We actually still have one of those stores in a town just south of us.  Unfortunately I think some of the issue is the calber of people.  I was in the catolge store a couple of years ago, with a friend, we were ordering a couple of storage buildings.  We had to wait at the counter while the 2 employee's finished their conversation for 5 minutes.  I told them if that is type of service I could expect then I woudn't be back and I haven't.  They acted like no big deal.  There's a big sears store about 35 miles to the east.

The difference in you and me is that I would have demanded they pay attention to me and if I got any attitude or lip I would have demanded to speak to the manager or picked up my phone and called corporate.

• tinbender7, HDWildBill and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#12 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted November 23, 2013 - 07:14 PM

Yep .replaced the one in my Craftsman opener too. We bought the house in '98, still has same opener that was in it when we bought. I clean/Lube rail and adjust chain regularly and seems to keep going. I helped replace the same gear in my neighbors last year, I think his house was built in '98  and it was original.

Good thing there are still parts out there for them.

My mom used to always buy Kenmore washer/dryers, usually got a good 15 years out of them. The last washer she went with GE, had to have a ton replaced on it already in the last 5 yrs. I have a Kenmore washer, 19 yrs old, I've only replaced the "dog ears" in the top that make drum ratchet, the Kenmore dryer is 15 yrs old now, had to replace heating coils. They have been good to us.

#13 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,079 posts

Posted November 23, 2013 - 10:04 PM

The gearing looks like it was ate by rabid mice. When I took the cover off it looked like white plastic confetti flying out

#14 bgkid2966 ONLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted November 24, 2013 - 07:50 AM

I have had good luck with Sears stuff also.I hope they continue to make the parts available.

Geno