• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 jskimeister OFFLINE  

jskimeister

• Member No: 1703
  • 0 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted December 18, 2010 - 05:38 PM

I had a friend of mine move to fla and leave me with an ht20 with a mower, blower, and tiller. Well being the procrastinator that I am I decided to wait until now to put the thrower on. I see that I am missing 2 arms that attach to the back of the blower mount and 2 springs that must be for counterbalance of the blower weight. I can make probably everything that I need I was just wondering if I could get some pics of how its mounted. The blower is a 48 inch 18148. Thanks for your time. Also have a JD 400 with a mower deck and tiller. Planning on building a FEL for my wife with the JD.

#2 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted December 18, 2010 - 05:45 PM

Welcome to the Forum!

There are a couple knowledgeable guys here on the large frame Bolens that should be able to help you out.

If you dont have one already.. here is the parts list for the Blower. CLICK HERE

#3 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,115 posts

Posted December 18, 2010 - 06:17 PM

Don't have any pics of how it mounts but will try to explane.The two rods you refer to are 5/8 dia and have a clevis on both ends are somewhere around 18-23 inches long.If you have the tiller they may be on it.One end mounts to the rock shaft and the other goes on the back holes of the blower.The two uprights around 6-8 inches from the back mout to the ears hanging doen on the frame behind the front wheels.You are correct on the springs they are for counter weight.Should be a 1/4 inch flat bar sticking out of the front of frame that was added to put the springs on one on each side.If you don't have the rods on your tiller let me know and i will measure mine for a more precise lenght.

#4 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted December 18, 2010 - 07:04 PM

Planning on building a FEL for my wife with the JD.

Man are you slick or what! "For the wife"! I think I'm gonna build some attachments for my wife too! :thumbs:
Seriously though, I know many women who use garden tractors a lot, so just ribbing you if this is your case.
Welcome to GTT! You should like it here. I don't have any knowledge of your problem, but others here sure can help.

#5 Deck_Drive OFFLINE  

Deck_Drive

collector of sears

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 736
  • 96 Thanks
  • 348 posts

Posted December 18, 2010 - 07:10 PM

welcome to GTtalk. Its a great place to be

#6 jskimeister OFFLINE  

jskimeister

• 0 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted December 18, 2010 - 11:57 PM

BHTS thanks that may be enough to help. I don't have the arms but it would appear that they need to be long enough to reach the back of the blower when it is mounted ? How does this thing raise? I have 4 "fulcrums" from the mower mount. I assume these will need to come off? The "rock shaft" ? Is that the devise used to raise and lower with the hydraulic cylinder? I wish I would have taken the time this summer to look at this thing. I thought it was a basket case as cosmetically it is,, but when I lifted the hood I was quite pleased with what I found (and didn't find) there.

Olcowhand. Both my wife and I come from farms. Not currently farming but still have the land. She's pretty good with equipment. I just like to build stuff....been racing something with a motor all my life.

#7 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,115 posts

Posted December 19, 2010 - 12:11 AM

I will take a pic tomorrow and show you how it mounts and also measure my arms so you have a lenght.

#8 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 19, 2010 - 05:52 AM

jskimeister:welcometogttalk:

Glad to have you with us.

You'll find lots of help here.

#9 jskimeister OFFLINE  

jskimeister

• 0 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted December 19, 2010 - 08:46 AM

Many thinks. I can build or cobble nearly anything , but I need to see it, explaining it too me just never seems to work...guess its how my brain is wired.

#10 jskimeister OFFLINE  

jskimeister

• 0 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted December 19, 2010 - 03:42 PM

Well I sat down and figured an ez way out. It works well though I think I have a better way to skin the same cat but I guess as long as it lifts it (w/o springs for now) it will do. I found out my ample figure will not offset the blower even with wheel weights so I will set about putting a 5 gallon bucket of lead tire weights on the back for traction

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_5590 (Large).jpg

#11 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,115 posts

Posted December 19, 2010 - 06:11 PM

Well i was going to add some pics for you but looks like you got it.:thumbs:

From the pics looks like the spring brackets are on the tractor but hard to tell.You will need the springs for sure as that blower is around 500 pounds and puts alot of stress on the rock shaft witout them.

#12 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted December 19, 2010 - 06:14 PM

Found this picture on the web....

HT20.jpg

I had no idea the 2 stage blowers were so heavy!

#13 dryrun OFFLINE  

dryrun

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1559
  • 56 Thanks
  • 342 posts

Posted December 19, 2010 - 06:45 PM

Man are you slick or what! "For the wife"! I think I'm gonna build some attachments for my wife too! :thumbs:
Seriously though, I know many women who use garden tractors a lot, so just ribbing you if this is your case.
Welcome to GTT! You should like it here. I don't have any knowledge of your problem, but others here sure can help.

What Daniel said

regards George

#14 jskimeister OFFLINE  

jskimeister

• 0 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted December 23, 2010 - 05:31 PM

Well i was going to add some pics for you but looks like you got it.:thumbs:

From the pics looks like the spring brackets are on the tractor but hard to tell.You will need the springs for sure as that blower is around 500 pounds and puts alot of stress on the rock shaft witout them.

Yes I was looking at some of my old hood hinge springs from an old chevy truck.....looks like it might just work.