48 replies to this topic

#31 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted November 23, 2013 - 09:48 AM

I've plowed with both my Massey 12G and my Massey 12Hydro.  The hydro has only a single speed rear end, and I found I was constantly making small adjustments to it to try and keep the speed I wanted (top speed is around 9mph, not plowing there) as ground conditions changed.  One of my sons was really bad about being heavy handed with that hydro and would start spinning the wheel at Warp 9 when it would start to slip.  With the gear, I just selected a speed and off we went, no need for adjustments.

I also understand that hydros will build up heat when used for extended periods at high load, such as plowing a field.  I suspect the problem is worse with a single speed hydro that a dual speed unit, but I don't know  

#32 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted November 23, 2013 - 12:13 PM

That Sears did a great job.  Pretty interesting going through the flames.  I think the fire extinguisher is a good idea.

Thanks for sharing the great photographs and videos.

• Walkinman1 said thank you

#33 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 34918
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted November 23, 2013 - 09:47 PM

Howards, I'm looking forward to trying out my Ford 165 for plowing when it's done as it's the biggest GT I have but the foot control hydro doesn't seem like it will be ideal. I guess I won't know until I try tho, it may just be one of those personal preference things :D
  • HowardsMF155 said thank you

#34 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted November 23, 2013 - 11:07 PM

No way to know till you try it.  I'm not saying it was bad, just different.  I'm wondering if I could put some sort of detent in the speed control handle at a lower speed, then just push it  to that speed.  

#35 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted November 24, 2013 - 07:46 AM

No way to know till you try it.  I'm not saying it was bad, just different.  I'm wondering if I could put some sort of detent in the speed control handle at a lower speed, then just push it  to that speed.  

That sounds like it might be a good solution, that way you won't have to babysit the control as much.  That tractor must be geared fairly high though as 9 mph is quite the top speed, at least compared to all of my gear driven tractors!

• HowardsMF155 said thank you

#36 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted November 24, 2013 - 08:20 AM

I've plowed with both my Massey 12G and my Massey 12Hydro.  The hydro has only a single speed rear end, and I found I was constantly making small adjustments to it to try and keep the speed I wanted (top speed is around 9mph, not plowing there) as ground conditions changed.  One of my sons was really bad about being heavy handed with that hydro and would start spinning the wheel at Warp 9 when it would start to slip.  With the gear, I just selected a speed and off we went, no need for adjustments.

I also understand that hydros will build up heat when used for extended periods at high load, such as plowing a field.  I suspect the problem is worse with a single speed hydro that a dual speed unit, but I don't know  

I am a HUGE fan of hydro, but they do create a lot of heat.  My Bush Hog JBI with the Wisconsin TJD engine, it's hydro got pretty hot during my plow day.  I am going to try & put an oil cooler on it before next year.  It is a single speed rear end, kinda geared between a normal Hi/Lo.    Hard pulls with a single speed create higher pressures, thus more heat.  Almost all hydro's create more heat under plowing concitions than the factory cooling fan can deal with.

Howards, I'm looking forward to trying out my Ford 165 for plowing when it's done as it's the biggest GT I have but the foot control hydro doesn't seem like it will be ideal. I guess I won't know until I try tho, it may just be one of those personal preference things :D

I've also always been a HUGE fan of foot controlled hydro.  But after 2 years of plow day with foot control, I've found it is NOT the hot setup for plowing.  One's foot/ankle gets very tired & achy from holding the position.    Hogzilla will be getting a hand control rod along with the foot pedal before next year with a friction hold system of some sort.  The Bush Hog HD-12 was built with just that.  In the pic below, you can see the handle shaft connected directly to the pedal.  Just above the pedal you can see a bolt above the pedal's shaft.  The bolt pushes against some sort of composite material, which in turn presses against the shaft to hold the position.  Tension is simply controlled by turning the bolt in or out.  

hd-12.JPG

• KennyP and HowardsMF155 have said thanks

#37 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted November 24, 2013 - 08:27 AM

One of the many mowers I've had was a Lawn Boy (toro) rider. That thing had the best system
There was a handle in the dash with notches in it. Set your speed by foot, pull handle to that notch once handle engaged, you could go faster by foot, but no slower, it worked like an adjustable stop.
On the brake peddle shaft, there was an arm that lifted the dash rod, allowing the hydro to snap back to neutral. Worked great... Hope I explained it well enough to get the idea across.
  • KennyP and HowardsMF155 have said thanks

#38 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted November 24, 2013 - 08:39 AM

One of the many mowers I've had was a Lawn Boy (toro) rider. That thing had the best system
There was a handle in the dash with notches in it. Set your speed by foot, pull handle to that notch once handle engaged, you could go faster by foot, but no slower, it worked like an adjustable stop.
On the brake peddle shaft, there was an arm that lifted the dash rod, allowing the hydro to snap back to neutral. Worked great... Hope I explained it well enough to get the idea across.

The Massey & Snapper 50 & 55 series (as 1650/1655) their system was the opposite.  The limiter handle in the left of the dash tower set the high speed limit.  You still had to hold the pedal, but it wouldn't let you push the pedal to a faster position.  Foot off the pedal & it returned by itself to neutral.

• MH81 and HowardsMF155 have said thanks

#39 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted November 24, 2013 - 08:57 AM

I suppose this would count as a thread hijack, but what if you re-did the control linkage on the hydro so that the control knob still went full travel, but the control on the hydro unit only traveled about half-way?  From what has been said about hydros in the past, the unit should still have full power available, just not the same top speed.  Plus, with control travel still full throw, speed control should be a little finer.  Anybody?

Daniel, Alan, thanks for your input  above.

#40 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted November 24, 2013 - 09:08 AM

I suppose this would count as a thread hijack, but what if you re-did the control linkage on the hydro so that the control knob still went full travel, but the control on the hydro unit only traveled about half-way?  From what has been said about hydros in the past, the unit should still have full power available, just not the same top speed.  Plus, with control travel still full throw, speed control should be a little finer.  Anybody?

Daniel, Alan, thanks for your input  above.

Actually, the HD-12 kind of has that covered as well.  The arm on the far end of the pedal shaft has at least 3 holes to slip the hydro control link arm into.  The further out, the further it can push/pull the hydro control shaft, but put the link rod closer in, then it has a finer response, and not full speed.  Just a quick pull of a hair clip to change the hold location.

• MH81, KennyP and HowardsMF155 have said thanks

#41 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted November 24, 2013 - 09:17 AM

Actually, the HD-12 kind of has that covered as well.  The arm on the far end of the pedal shaft has at least 3 holes to slip the hydro control link arm into.  The further out, the further it can push/pull the hydro control shaft, but put the link rod closer in, then it has a finer response, and not full speed.  Just a quick pull of a hair clip to change the hold location.

#42 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted November 24, 2013 - 09:19 AM

No worries about thread hijacking, this is interesting info and it's addressing questions I had so keep it rolling!  There's some good ideas in here for the hydro control options, I like the concept of the system that MH's rider had, seems like cruise control would be nice on the long runs so you can give your foot a break but the other systems would probably work well too, I guess it's just personal preference...There's more than one way to skin a cat!

#43 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted November 24, 2013 - 09:20 AM

Ok, not sure what happened up there.  I tried to quote Daniel, got two windows, couldn't get out of one, wrote down my thoughts, then they disappeared when I hit "post".

Anyway, that is what I was thinking of with the Massey.  The way that control is set up, drilling a hole further up the control arm would reduce the throw and give me what I'm looking for.

#44 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted November 24, 2013 - 09:29 AM

I'm glad to see this discussion on Hydro control. I would like to put a foot pedal on the FF, but it could be a pain plowing. Can't leave the hand control if I do as the FWD/Rev is not in a straight line, offset at neutral. Guess I need to see more on the BH set up.

#45 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted November 24, 2013 - 09:31 AM

...drilling a hole further up the control arm would reduce the throw and give me what I'm looking for.

Something like this ^^^^ along with perhaps a tension adjustment on the foot control so that you don't have to hold it all the time might be just the ticket.  With a hand control they pretty much hold steady anyways so just adjusting the amount of throw would probably work beautifully....