48 replies to this topic

#16 KC9KAS ONLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 5,178 Thanks
  • 4,570 posts

Posted November 22, 2013 - 05:19 AM

Thanks for the videos and photos.

I too plowed for the 1st time this year and was amazed as how well my Wheel Horse B-80 worked!

• Walkinman1 said thank you

#17 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 34918
  • 766 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted November 22, 2013 - 07:01 AM

Look's like fun...their for a second I thought I was watching a Joey Chitwood thrill show when you went plowing into the flames, you might be onto a new hobby like extreme plowing :rolling: The Sears pulled well, what gear were you using?

I was pulling in high range, 2nd gear, at a little less than half throttle. There was one time I felt a little heat on my leg when I went thru lol, just added a little more excitement... In retrospect next time I will grab the fire extinguisher out of my truck and keep it with me, just in case :D
  • tinbender7 and T Guiles have said thanks

#18 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,648 Thanks
  • 4,173 posts

Posted November 22, 2013 - 07:02 AM

This Sears is so hot that the field is burning!

• Walkinman1 said thank you

#19 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 766 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted November 22, 2013 - 07:03 AM

Thanks for the videos and photos.
I too plowed for the 1st time this year and was amazed as how well my Wheel Horse B-80 worked!

KC, I'm not really familiar with the B-80, is that 8 hp? Gear or hydro?

#20 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,954 Thanks
  • 29,757 posts

Posted November 22, 2013 - 07:18 AM

It was my first time ever plowing with a GT and my first time with a moldboard (only other time I plowed I got about 40 acres under my belt with a quad gang disc behind a big articulated Deere) and I was surprised how well it did. For only having the factory 30 something lb wheel weights on it and not being ag tires I was impressed but next time I'll bring my chains and maybe load the tires.

I'm not sure on the plow, I was meaning to ask, how do you measure them to determine what size they are? Kinda slipped my mind in the excitement of it all :D

I'll pass the photo compliments along as they are all courtesy of my lovely girlfriend...

This is the general idea. I usually flip them over, but you get the concept.
image.jpg
It's the widest part of the plow as you pull it thru the ground.
On the sears, the 6&8" didnt have braces on both sides of the main beam at the three point, the 10 did. I didnt see the RH brace in the pics, so I'm guessing on 8.

#21 T Guiles OFFLINE  

T Guiles
  • Member No: 39800
  • 953 Thanks
  • 749 posts

Posted November 22, 2013 - 08:13 AM

I'd keep the flames,...... that was really neat   :thumbs:. I've got a little sears ss 12 and would like to repower it with a motor off a B-80 i've got laying around, it's neat to see other tractors work it give me a starting point thank's again 

#22 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 766 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted November 22, 2013 - 08:47 AM

When I bought this Sears I was a little iffy about the Tecumseh as all of my other experience has been working old Kohler's, working on newer Briggs and blowing up newer Tecumseh's... Well, after this let's just say it has me convinced. The way it pulled that plow nearly effortlessly and barely even had any traction issues despite the tires and lack of weight has me thoroughly impressed. I liked it before but I really fell in love with it last weekend. My buddy was trying everything he could think of to talk me into leaving it out there for him :D

#23 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 766 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted November 22, 2013 - 08:48 AM

This is the general idea. I usually flip them over, but you get the concept.
http://gardentractortalk.com/forums/public/style_images/GTtalk/attachicon.gif image.jpg
It's the widest part of the plow as you pull it thru the ground.
On the sears, the 6&8" didnt have braces on both sides of the main beam at the three point, the 10 did. I didnt see the RH brace in the pics, so I'm guessing on 8.

Thanks MH, I'll get it measured up and see for sure but I'm with you, pretty sure it's only an 8"

#24 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 7,723 Thanks
  • 5,573 posts

Posted November 22, 2013 - 09:22 AM

Nice job, too bad I can't see videos here at work.

I have all Tecs on my sears, my 16's can pull their load. I wished the stator hadn't burnt up at Daniels plow day, it was plowing really well.

The Tecs usually wear great on the inside, their big achilles heals are the SSI modules and carbs.

Looks like you have plow set pretty well, doing a great job when you can hold a beverage in one hand while plowing!!!

What are the handle bars for across the hood?

• twostep said thank you

#25 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 34,695 Thanks
  • 43,734 posts

Posted November 22, 2013 - 09:29 AM

You did an awesome job plowing. Looks like real good dirt for it. It is fun to plow!

#26 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 766 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted November 22, 2013 - 09:56 AM

Nice job, too bad I can't see videos here at work.
I have all Tecs on my sears, my 16's can pull their load. I wished the stator hadn't burnt up at Daniels plow day, it was plowing really well.
The Tecs usually wear great on the inside, their big achilles heals are the SSI modules and carbs.
Looks like you have plow set pretty well, doing a great job when you can hold a beverage in one hand while plowing!!!

What are the handle bars for across the hood?

I guess you'll just have to watch them when you get home ;) lol

I could've used a cup holder, at least for the ends of the rows but otherwise it was going really easy :D

The handlebars are part of the cab mounting structure (the P.O. put bicycle grips on the ends I assume to protect the operator as they are fairly sharp) I was planning on taking it off for summer use but after doing some looking I now know why he left that part on, the nuts on the backside are impossible to get to! So on it stays lol.

You did an awesome job plowing. Looks like real good dirt for it. It is fun to plow!

Thanks Kenny! That dirt has been well fertilized for years so it's really nice although it was quite hard packed as they were experimenting this year with minimal tillage to reduce erosion. Their crop yields weren't quite what they're used to (the weeds were stealing from the plants) so it's back to full tillage for now. I think plowing is now my favorite activity for seat time, used to be snowblowing but plowing is just a blast! Too bad you're so far away, they (and I) would've welcomed another tractor to speed things up...
  • KennyP and TAHOE have said thanks

#27 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted November 22, 2013 - 12:41 PM

That did a great job and looked like fun.  I couldn't watch the videos last night as I could only connect with dial up.  I finally got to see the vids and could tell your friends were totally enjoying it too!

I did my garden last spring with a Sears 10 hp and it worked great with no weights whatsoever and the narrow tires.  I did have to go fast though to keep it going well.  This fall I used the 12 hp sears.  This one has the wheel weights and I have chains coming from a member here.

#28 KC9KAS ONLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 5,178 Thanks
  • 4,570 posts

Posted November 22, 2013 - 04:44 PM

KC, I'm not really familiar with the B-80, is that 8 hp? Gear or hydro?

Yes, it is a 8hp K series Kohler and a 3 speed with high/low (6 speeds forward). I have chains and fluid in the tires....Oh, here is a photo

2013-10-12141411_zps7e434ab5.jpg

And a video.

th_video-2013-10-12-12-27-16_zps4db86ff5

• MH81 and KennyP have said thanks

#29 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 34,695 Thanks
  • 43,734 posts

Posted November 22, 2013 - 04:59 PM

Ain't it fun to work these tractors?

• MH81 and twostep have said thanks

#30 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 766 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted November 22, 2013 - 05:05 PM

Looks like that little wheel horse was doing just fine pulling that plow. I've never plowed with a hydro tractor but it seems that the gear drives might be easier on the lower hp engines as far as getting the power to the ground...?