42 replies to this topic

#31 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,480 Thanks
  • 3,377 posts

Posted November 26, 2014 - 09:08 PM

I've been  :watch_over_fence:

Can't wait to see what you come up with, I have the same type bucket, but no mounting brackets. Been thinking about this project for almost as long as you. (well maybe longer) Originally was going to make a simple 3 point to mount to the back of the tractor, but a lift of some kind on the front would be so much nicer.

attachicon.gifIMG_1611.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_1612.JPG

That looks like a Swisher bucket similar to mine.Randy%20bucket2.jpg

• bgkid2966 and Bmerf have said thanks

#32 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted November 26, 2014 - 09:53 PM

If I had a bucket like that, I'd be building a FEL!

Show me some plans and I will build it with electric actuators! The Johnny bucket will get some bracing on the back like the Swisher. Bracing will make it easier to mount and will strengthen the bucket itself. I am going to have more daylight time for working on this when 2nd shift starts Monday afternoon.

Geno

#33 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted November 26, 2014 - 10:10 PM

That is the one I have. How does the wizard like it, does it tax the frame any? From what I gather, they are winch operated for the lift? How high will it lift? 

Bgkid2966 was wanting his to lift between 3-3 1/2 feet. I am hoping he comes up with an innovative lift system. This would be ideal for my application. Light duty unit for the around the house type jobs. 

I have no winch, but extra hydraulic ports (and an extra cylinder) for the front of the Ford 195. I have a choice of cylinders, both short: one with 6" of travel, the other ~10"+. I was thinking of extending the bottom pivot and using a scissor type arrangement for the lift, but don't want to have it sticking 5' out the front.

If I had a bucket like that, I'd be building a FEL!

I thought about a full FEL, but I would have to add an additional hydraulic system to handle the load; plus all the extra expensive cylinders.(Parts I don't have) I really don't need it, as I already have this for the bigger jobs:

IMG_2235.JPG

Bgkid2966, I hope you don't mind the   :hijacked:

I am thoroughly interested in your build. I am hoping for inspiration from your perspiration. 

• KennyP and bgkid2966 have said thanks

#34 AfterShock95 OFFLINE  

AfterShock95
  • Member No: 63122
  • 420 Thanks
  • 365 posts

Posted November 26, 2014 - 11:00 PM

My fear is it stressing the front of the frame
  • bgkid2966 said thank you

#35 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,440 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted November 27, 2014 - 07:05 AM

Show me some plans and I will build it with electric actuators! The Johnny bucket will get some bracing on the back like the Swisher. Bracing will make it easier to mount and will strengthen the bucket itself. I am going to have more daylight time for working on this when 2nd shift starts Monday afternoon.

Geno

I have some measurement from a loader frame. Just haven't had time to put them on in a drawing!

• bgkid2966 said thank you

#36 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,480 Thanks
  • 3,377 posts

Posted November 27, 2014 - 09:55 AM

The way mine is mounted most of the load is spread across the upper and lower frame and causes no issues, even when used as bulldozer, which I frequently do.

Randy%20bucket%20underside%20front%20vie

#37 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,440 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted November 27, 2014 - 10:49 PM

Hey Geno! Check this out! Loader Plans! I was searching through some things and found this. I had printed it out some time back. I don't have a clue where I got them. Be advised the front page call out for the square tubes and the following pages are different sizes. But I think there is enough there to build a loader for most any GT.

#38 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted November 28, 2014 - 09:04 AM

Hey Geno! Check this out! Loader Plans! I was searching through some things and found this. I had printed it out some time back. I don't have a clue where I got them. Be advised the front page call out for the square tubes and the following pages are different sizes. But I think there is enough there to build a loader for most any GT.

Awesome!  I will be studying those plans! :thumbs:  :thumbs:  :thumbs:

Geno

#39 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted December 14, 2014 - 04:07 PM

Looks like 2 inch tubing like on a Reece hitch

It does appear to be 2 inch tube. That will make some of it easier.

Geno

#40 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted February 16, 2015 - 11:27 AM

I have drawn up a mount plan which will make it easier to switch between the bucket and the snow plow.

Bucket mount.jpg

I know all the dimensions are not correct to the tractor. I did this as a basic template to work from. There will be one on each side and will make the swap include two pins and two electric plugs.

Geno

Edited by bgkid2966, February 16, 2015 - 11:30 AM.

• toppop52 said thank you

#41 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted February 22, 2015 - 10:19 AM

The bracket pictured in the previous post mounts to the frame where the 3 holes are in front of the foot rests and the quick hitch in front. I may also weld another bracket to this for the Frankenstein bolts to engage.  The 3" square on top is the receiver for the bucket and snow plow. There will be one of these on each side of the tractor.  Time is not a friend right now while on 2nd shift. I just cannot get rested. Back to day shift in about a month.  Hopefully some progress will follow the change of shift.

Geno

#42 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 22, 2015 - 07:47 PM

I am pretty sure those plans were drawn up by a guy who posts on that other forum under the handle Blacksmith. He has freely shared them for several years. There are pictures of it mounted on his Dayton (MTD 990) on the net and they are worth checking out.
One thing I noticed was that the inlet and outlets were in the right upright and the plans show a vent in the left upright.
Which would mean that the crossbar/upright support would be part of the hydraulic reservoir?
That is interesting since most of these loaders only use the right upright as a reservoir. I have seen both upright used with a connecting hose? This would more than triple the hydraulic reservoir? Other than more radiant cooling of the fluid, I wonder what the advantage would be. It would definitely require accurate welding to assure no leaks.
  • KennyP said thank you

#43 TUDOR OFFLINE  

TUDOR

Tractorholic

• Member No: 915
  • 543 Thanks
  • 497 posts

Posted February 23, 2015 - 02:28 AM

I am pretty sure those plans were drawn up by a guy who posts on that other forum under the handle Blacksmith. He has freely shared them for several years. There are pictures of it mounted on his Dayton (MTD 990) on the net and they are worth checking out.
One thing I noticed was that the inlet and outlets were in the right upright and the plans show a vent in the left upright.
Which would mean that the crossbar/upright support would be part of the hydraulic reservoir?
That is interesting since most of these loaders only use the right upright as a reservoir. I have seen both upright used with a connecting hose? This would more than triple the hydraulic reservoir? Other than more radiant cooling of the fluid, I wonder what the advantage would be. It would definitely require accurate welding to assure no leaks.

Mine uses a 3/4" hydraulic hose between the bottoms of the 2 uprights. With a max flow of 6 gpm, it doesn't take long to dump a 1.6 gallon reservoir system if a  pressure hose blows. If the head end seal on one cylinder starts leaking, it's also amazing how quickly the fluid level drops without the operator noticing. Three or four hours working on dirt, which soaks up the drops of fluid before you can notice, and there isn't much left in the reservoirs. The posts hold about 0.8 gallons each.

• JD DANNELS said thank you