14 replies to this topic

#1 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • Member No: 46384
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted November 21, 2013 - 07:01 PM

Howdy ya'll!

I've got an 1855A recently.  Recieved 'er as a basket case, as in there were parts strewn all over the previous owners barns.  It took me 3 trips to his place as I was putting this gal back togather, but finally got-r-done!  The Onan on this thing is a pain in the... well.... anyway, got it running somewhat.  When she runs, she runs strong.  Got the eng. purring like a kitten one day, the next day it's a fight to get 'er running.  After a couple months of tinkering here and there, finally thought I had it going good.  Parked 'er outside overnight, went to start 'er the next day and nothing.  Not even a backfire.  I pushed 'er into the garage and set the heater to 60 (been couple degrees above zero here (ND)).  Today, nothing, no fire, nuttin.  Checked everything, all looked good so I cranked and dumped in a few drops of gas in the carb, she fired.  Cranked starter again whilst pouring a few drops at a time and she finally takes off.  Warmed 'er up, moved her outside to run awhile and she straightened up.  She now refuses to run unless the choke is 3/4 closed so I figure I'm going to have to remove the carb and give it a real good cleaning.

Until I get time to dig deeper, she will now run at full steam and sounds reallly good!  I got a deck with 'er, not sure of the size but the timing belt is still there.  She has not been used for many years, I have a feeling that belt will go to pieces just from sitting/no use for atleast 5 years.  That's no problem as I have a 60 inch deck on another gardern tractor.  I also have a snow blower that came with 'er.  That was fun finding all the pieces scattered out side the barn, but got that attached and running too.  Bad thing about that is the clutch will not work.  There is power going to the clutch so that's not an issue.  For now I did a couple tack welds so I could use the blower this winter.  Yup, with that thing running I got to say this is one dangerous piece of equipment, only way to stop the blower is shut down the eng.  GOT to find a clutch somewhere... they sure are hard to find.

I also recieved a ton of manuels with this thing for all the snapper tractors, mowers, riders and pushers, equipment and such.  If anyone needs one that is not online, give me a shout and I will make copies of them.  I'll pull the binders out and list exactly which ones I have but there is a lot of them, I think I have the dealers binders/manuels for snapper.

John

• sacsr, Dieselcubmike and Sawdust have said thanks

#2 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,945 posts

Posted November 21, 2013 - 07:40 PM

Welcome John
They are nice tractors
I have one also, I had to pull motor after only 3 starts due to broken starter bolt.
What a pain in the rear.
Good luck finding a new clutch.
You may want to check the intake runners. They can separate causing it to suck air.
You can remove, drill out factory rivets I guess they are, separate, clean.surfaces, then put back together with some RTV and drill holes in the little bosses and bolt together.
Your starting issue could be bad ignition switch or moisture getting in points.
  • sacsr said thank you

#3 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,561 Thanks
  • 3,941 posts

Posted November 21, 2013 - 08:18 PM

Welcome to the forums, John!

I don't know much about your tractor. but there are plenty here that do.

#4 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted November 21, 2013 - 08:53 PM

Hi there and welcome! :wave: If you get the chance be sure to post plenty of pictures :thumbs:

• gtcsreg said thank you

#5 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted November 21, 2013 - 09:07 PM

welcome to Gardentractortalk!  Glad u found this place.    That is a fine tractor u say u have,  but we can't know for sure  is yours without pictures!   Please, we want pics!  

When onans sit awhile their fuel pump gaskets can dry out and harden up.  and, did try replacing the fuel filter?

Edited by James henry, November 21, 2013 - 09:10 PM.

#6 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted November 21, 2013 - 09:30 PM

Thanks ya'll!

She has new fuel lines, new fuel pump, new inline filter and new vacuum line from block to pump, even a new starter.  I've removed/cleaned the top of the carb, gasket was good.  I have not removed the carb from the eng. yet, was hoping to wait til spring.  I'll check the intake runners like suggested, never thought of that.  If they are cracked or indeed seperated, I could probably spray some carb cleaner on them while running to see if there's any leaks.  Works on my bigger tractors, should work on a garden tractor.  I'll for sure do that before I remove the whole carb and tear into it.

Again, thanks!

#7 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted November 21, 2013 - 09:44 PM

Those onan carburator fuel pumps require a low suction pressure fuel filter...that's what the guy at GarysPlace on line told me when I bought a new carberator/fuel pump kit and fuel filter from his website. for the Onan motor on the Sears GT18 I used to have

#8 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted November 21, 2013 - 10:20 PM

Hi Frozenin Time.

Welcome to GTT.

:wave:

Good luck get it sorted out. You'll be happy when you do.

Keep us posted.

#9 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,945 posts

Posted November 21, 2013 - 10:23 PM

I think the lower half of the carb is part of the intake runners or those have to come off to be able to get lower half off. 

What kind of float did it have when you took carb apart? If it had a plastic one, then that might be a major part of the issue, those go bad pretty easily, best to get a brass float.

Someone on this forum or another had made a mechanical idler pulley system for the front clutch since hi was shot. Actually it was on this forum a few months back if I remember correctly.

#10 gtcsreg OFFLINE  

gtcsreg
  • Member No: 25875
  • 1,665 Thanks
  • 1,646 posts

Posted November 22, 2013 - 09:04 AM

Welcome, you'll find this is a great place to get helpful info from great guys who really care about you and your GT.

#11 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,705 Thanks
  • 8,562 posts

Posted November 22, 2013 - 09:33 AM

Welcome to GTtalk John.  Looks like you are getting plenty of help.

#12 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,456 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted November 22, 2013 - 09:37 AM

I'm not a big fan of the vacuum fuel pumps, I would rather have an electric. I worry about it sucking fuel into the crankcase, plus you have to crank a bunch for them to get fuel to the carb.

#13 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted December 05, 2013 - 06:03 PM

Finally used 'er for some snow blowing past couple days.  She's not all painted up, does not look new, I think she's purty just the way she is.  We tack welded the clutch so I could operate the blower but it does worry me, that thing spins all all times when it's running.  I won't run 'er with anyone else around for safety's sake.  I noticed if ya don't keep the blower stuffed with snow, it just dribbles out and blocks easily, so I run 'er in low-6.  That seems to keep the blower happy.  Now to figure out what tires to put on 'er.  The turf tires spin like crazy with barely any incline.  A bucket of rocks on the back is not enough weight to keep the tires bitting so we will see where I can find more weight to put back there.  She will get the job done but until I do more *improvements* it's a fight to use 'er.  Front end steers like an old log truck with no rear weight to speak of.  It's a work inprogress, one I'm sure I will enjoy.  I'll leave that weed green with 3-point blower in the barn, I'd rather use this one.  She has some serious character, love it!

Attached Thumbnails

• PC050559.JPG
  • PC050570.JPG

Edited by FrozenInTime, December 05, 2013 - 06:10 PM.

• olcowhand, IamSherwood, gtcsreg and 2 others have said thanks

#14 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted December 07, 2013 - 05:57 PM

Looks real good as she sits John & welcome to GTT glad your here.

#15 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted December 07, 2013 - 06:27 PM

Get yourself some chains for the rear tires, and pump about 7 gallons

of windshield washer fluid into each one. That'll give you traction.

Here is what I did last week for extra rear ballast. Works good.

But, I'm guessing you don't have much anchor chain laying around

out there in Norf Dakoota. :D