• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,462 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 06, 2014 - 07:47 PM

Scott, the Generator Kohler is a old style belted Starter/Generator engine and the 210 should have a gear driven starter driving a ring gear made info the flywheel. I would also check the PTO side of the crankshaft DIA. to make sure it's the same as the 210.

#17 victor3ranger OFFLINE  

• Member No: 48052
  • 310 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted June 07, 2014 - 09:17 AM

I am glad this thread is going.

I will be following this pretty close since I will be needing to learn how to rebuild these motors very soon.  I have never gone into one of these motors and I feel lost.

#18 210newbie OFFLINE  

• Member No: 58491
  • 1 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted June 09, 2014 - 07:44 AM

texas- deere - thanks for the hep -will check those to areas out-  do you know if the flywheel on the old one ( belted )  can be swapped to take a ring gear flywheel?, or do they bolt up differently?

#19 chevy2003 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 71489
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted June 03, 2015 - 10:44 AM

Hi All

This thread sort-of fizzled out a while ago, but the story never ended...
Maydog96--- did the 14hp engine make its way into the 210?
Thanks to Trav1s and lyall for their follow-ups to Maydog96. I have a newly acquired 1974 110
with a smokey tired 8hp engine. Locally there are some parts tractors that still have decent
12hp and 14hp engines and I would love to put the 14hp in place of the tired 8!

#20 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,154 Thanks
  • 4,567 posts

Posted June 03, 2015 - 11:13 AM

I do not have any photos yet- of the motor in my 210- I believe it to be the original- 10HP- I bought the unit from the original owner. 

It starts right up and runs fine, but its tired. My property is hilly so you feel it on the grade going up-  its chugging. Not bad where its flat. 

My thoughts were if the 14hp ( k321) was an easy swap I would pull the head, check to see what it looked like and if need be put a rebuild into it then swap the 10hp out. I could then rebuild the original motor if I wanted to have as a spare. 

Here are some photos of the k321 I can get for about $75- Think it probably was on a generator- not sure. I have not seen it yet, but its suppose to run, and looks to be pretty complete. I am wondering if things like the starter, oil pan, etc are the same, or completely different. Even though its pretty cheap- would hate to get it, if it would not work. so obviously trying to find that out here. 

I will try to post shots of the motor in my 210 over the weekend- not planning on yanking the motor until I have another one to put in, as it still runs.

Thanks for taking the time to look- 

Scott V 

Never saw a 'gold plated' Kohler before!!!   :good_job:   :good_job:   :good_job:

The small K-series are fairly similar but the difference on the JD's is the oil pan.  They can be removed and swapped between engines is the good news!  There is a ton of information about the K series in this MANUAL

D/L it and save it to your Hard disk or a zip drive for future reference.  I have had a paper copy of this for decades since I've been working on them quite a bit.  As before there's lots of knowledgable folks hearabouts to help if you ask..  

Tractor on!!   :driving_big_tractor:

#21 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,591 Thanks
  • 3,740 posts

Posted June 03, 2015 - 12:05 PM

I missed the other posts too.  Curious about the swap myself.  I happen to have a gold k181 that came off of a generator or compressor.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: john, deere, model, 210, 214, engine, swap