• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted September 10, 2014 - 04:02 PM

Check with the site sponsors. I'd be stunned if one of them doesn't have what you need.
  • OldBlue120 said thank you

#122 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted September 10, 2014 - 07:52 PM

Does anybody know a good source online or in Midcoast Maine to buy new Starter Generators and Voltage Regulators for 1972 Ford LG120?  I decided to buy some new ones or working used ones and install them and if I can get the old ones working or fixed I'll save them for back ups.
Anybody?

I'm told Napa auto parts is a good source for Kohler parts.
But, my local Napa has been somewhat disappointing in all respects.

Joe

#123 OldBlue120 OFFLINE  

OldBlue120
  • Member No: 50196
  • 87 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted September 16, 2014 - 06:37 AM

Check with the site sponsors. I'd be stunned if one of them doesn't have what you need.

Thanks. I know this may sound crazy but can you show mw where the list of sponsors are. I have looked all over trying to find this, maybe they are called something different? Where are they?

#124 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted September 16, 2014 - 06:58 AM

Does anybody know a good source online or in Midcoast Maine to buy new Starter Generators and Voltage Regulators for 1972 Ford LG120?  I decided to buy some new ones or working used ones and install them and if I can get the old ones working or fixed I'll save them for back ups.

Anybody?

If you ever get to Liberty try Burleigh electric.  He is an old-time starter/generator guy.  I haven't been there in a while, internet says 589-3512 very nice guy to work with.  He stocks all the old brushes wouldn't be surprised if he had complete rebuild kits.  He could rebuild it if you didn't want to try it yourself, they're not hard to do.

Napa used to have Bosch style regulators.  Will need to try them here soon.  Last time in Car Quest they said they no longer have them.

#125 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,394 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted September 16, 2014 - 07:02 AM

Thanks. I know this may sound crazy but can you show mw where the list of sponsors are. I have looked all over trying to find this, maybe they are called something different? Where are they?

On the Forum page, they (Site Sponsors) should be right at the top of your screen above the Barn (where all the tractor brands are).

#126 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted September 16, 2014 - 07:12 AM

They are here:
http://gardentractor...-site-sponsors/
  • KennyP and OldBlue120 have said thanks

#127 OldBlue120 OFFLINE  

OldBlue120
  • 87 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted September 16, 2014 - 08:29 PM

Well I haven't look for new ones yet cause I got to thinking.... How do I make due with what I've got?

So I started digging around where all the old tractor parts were and found a delco remy starter generator, but the end was busted off.  And there was a voltage regulator buried in there as well, kind of rusty, but she cleaned up.

REFLECTING ON MY DAD'S LOGIC........

My mother always complained, "WHY ARE THERE PILES OF JUNK EVERYWHERE?!"  

In which my Dad responded, "ITS NOT JUNK, I'LL USE IT SOMEDAY, .....FOR SOMETHING."  

So I knew he was pretty good about tossing out something he couldn't use that was shot or burned out but he would save it if he could use it or a part of it or a combination of both. So I was guessing these where in working order. I hoped. They are older than me after all.

So I knew that either my voltage regulator was shot or the starter generator was shot, or both.  So I took them both off and replaced the voltage regulator with the one laying around. and then I took off the starter generator and took the good end off the one on the tractor and replaced the busted end off the one that was in the pile of "junk" and installed them both and started her up and whammo  check out that meter. right over where I want it and even with the lights on.  I didn't start up the PTO as I have nothing hooked up to it but I am guessing that I am good to go.

In retrospect I wish I had done one then the other to try to better determine which one was faulty, but heck I am glad as can be this appears to be settled.  

So rethink those piles of junk.  Oh and I LOVE the shut off valve on the gas tank. Ford's are so well built and thought out. 

002.JPG 003.JPG 004.JPG 005.JPG 006.JPG 007.JPG

• MH81, Rock farmer and Oldford have said thanks

#128 OldBlue120 OFFLINE  

OldBlue120
  • 87 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted September 16, 2014 - 08:33 PM

And I am thinking for once Dad is staring down from heaven above and saying, "You finally did something right, I'm proud of you."

• tinbender7 and Rock farmer have said thanks

#129 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted September 16, 2014 - 08:50 PM

And not only do You get to keep the money in your pocket,
Your tractor has American made parts in it!

Joe

#130 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted September 19, 2014 - 10:52 AM

I have been looking thru dad's piles of stuff as well. Finding things in there for stuff we never owned.

#131 OldBlue120 OFFLINE  

OldBlue120
  • 87 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted October 11, 2014 - 02:11 PM

Anybody have any ideas on how to install these damn things?  I frigged around with it for quite some time and it never came close to being on.  Best as I can tell something is missing To try to get it up under the tractor where the thing hitches on the angle is not enough the front is hung up by the front steering mechanisim before the back end can get high enough to go in the groove where the connects under the seat.

I guess something is missing on this.

Back t the homestead I guess.  But I haven't seen anything that resembles what I think I need.

I guess I wont be grading the driveway today. No sir.

PLow.JPG

#132 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,394 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted October 11, 2014 - 02:24 PM

Have you downloaded this manual? I believe it is for your blade. Maybe something in there will help.

#133 OldBlue120 OFFLINE  

OldBlue120
  • 87 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted October 11, 2014 - 04:10 PM

Oh yeah that did it right there.  I am missing the whole hitch plate gizmo. The manual I had did not have nearly as much info on it.

Thank you.

Well I need to find a hitch plate.  

FOr now I stopped wasting time and put the snow blower on and it is purring like a kitten.

• MH81 and KennyP have said thanks

#134 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,394 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted October 11, 2014 - 04:27 PM

Good Luck!

#135 OldBlue120 OFFLINE  

OldBlue120
  • 87 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted October 12, 2014 - 08:20 AM

Good Luck!

It seems to me though that the blade control handle that sticks up on the left side of the tractor is going to be in the way of the left front tire.
Maybe with the hitch plate on there the whole thing is positioned differently and it isn't an issue.