• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,745 posts

Posted December 27, 2013 - 06:58 PM

Do you have a good rebuild shop for starters/generators/alternators close by? If so, take the s/g and regulator to them. they'll let you know real quick what's going on.

• MH81, HowardsMF155 and OldBlue120 have said thanks

#107 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted December 28, 2013 - 01:06 PM

Do you have a good rebuild shop for starters/generators/alternators close by? If so, take the s/g and regulator to them. they'll let you know real quick what's going on.

Ditto on what Kenny said.  Look in the yellow pages or internet for a shop nearby and take that stuff there, they should be able to tell you what is up and repair or replace as needed.

• OldBlue120 said thank you

#108 OldBlue120 OFFLINE  

OldBlue120
  • Member No: 50196
  • 87 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted January 03, 2014 - 10:12 AM

Well I snapped my throttle cable. This looks like it will be a fun fix seeing as it is -3 out and about -25 with the wind chill.   I wonder if there is enough cable there to extend it or if I am going to have to replace it. Apparently it froze up. Not sure how. I pushed it too hard and it snapped. 

No snow blowing for me for awhile I guess. 

OH but an interesting discovery. I was up in there with some pliers trying to do something and my pliers hit the Ammeter and sparks went flying like it was 4th of July off the connection. Gee Whiz I wonder if that is part of my electrical drain off the battery?

#109 OldBlue120 OFFLINE  

OldBlue120
  • 87 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted January 22, 2014 - 09:15 PM

Well now I have really done something... I don't know what but the Snow Blower (two Stage) has totally seized up. Locked!  I can't budge it. I normally could rotate it manually while I was oiling the chains etc. It will not budge.

Is there a lock on it that I may be missing somewhere that locks it in place?

I like wallow into a bunch of loose gravel and propelled those suckers way across the yard like buckshot  and that was about 5 minutes before the lock up.  It ran pretty smoothly for about 100 yards and then the PTO died and I noticed dangling wire from it so I turned off everything and brought it back to the house and replaced the broken wire all nice and new and then the PTO would engage but only move it like a tiny bit like not even at all just trying to work but then stop.  So I think the wiring is good again but now it is locked up.

I cleaned that auger out and I can't see any sign of a rock. I even took my air compressor and blew every flake of snow out of everywhere and couldn't see any sign of a rock unless it somehow got behind the inside of the upper stage auger and is behind it. It would have to be a small rock.

Anyway any ideas on how to deal with this would be appreciated.  It was so bitter cold the last few days I said forget it. I'll wait until it really warms up like to 20 or 25 maybe and then have at it.

#110 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,341 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted January 22, 2014 - 10:12 PM

It might not be a rock. The machine may have melted enough water to get it in the "nooks and crannies" and it won't turn. Ice is a powerful adversary and only heat will free it up. Is there anywhere you can get the blower in above 32?

#111 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted January 23, 2014 - 06:35 PM

I would take the drive belt off and see if the blower augers will spin.
If they don't, then I'd remove the chain that drives the first stage auger.
That should tell you if ou have a jammed auger or gear box.

Joe
  • Sawdust and OldBlue120 have said thanks

#112 OldBlue120 OFFLINE  

OldBlue120
  • 87 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted February 08, 2014 - 02:57 PM

I would take the drive belt off and see if the blower augers will spin.
If they don't, then I'd remove the chain that drives the first stage auger.
That should tell you if ou have a jammed auger or gear box.

Joe

Well I took off the drive belt from the  PTO still locked.   I took apart the front Auger and took the chain off it and that was a job, but once the chain was off the auger spun freely. I couldn't get the Auger to come off though. One of the metal ring that has a lock screw on the outside on the end with the chain on it would not come off. I doubt its been off in 40 years and it wouldn't budge. I unscrewed the lock bolt, clamped it, pulled tugged pry'd from behind it nothing! So I guess troubleshooting over on the outside horizontal auger it spins so the lock up must be in the assembly for the inner auger and all those chains are locked, but it seems like the outside auger needs to come off to get the other one out. I don't see how to disconnect it. Time to study the manual again. I took the turning blower head off so I can see down inside the auger and there are no rocks lodges in behind it of around it, I am pretty sure of that so I think it is in the mechanism and chains somewhere. I greased it all up regularly so I don't know why something would seize up. I'll keep digging.

• MH81 and Rock farmer have said thanks

#113 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted February 08, 2014 - 05:35 PM

Sounds like your problem may be in the 90 degree gear box.
I think that that may be relatively easy to remove?
I'm battling a similar problem on my 2 stage blower.
The chain to the first stage auger fell off. When I reinstalled it, it fell right off again.
My blower is the newer closed side model.
Weather permitting, I'll take the blower off the tractor tomorrow. And see what's wrong with mine.
Good luck with yours! And keep us posted.

Joe

#114 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,341 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted February 08, 2014 - 06:54 PM

Was hoping to hear it was an easy fix. Sorry it's fighting you.

#115 OldBlue120 OFFLINE  

OldBlue120
  • 87 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted February 15, 2014 - 07:10 PM

021.JPG

Well the snow blower got a total rebuild. I disassembled everything and was right down to taking the 90 deg. gear box off the back connected to the second stage auger. Well that adjusted the auger a little and clink. This rock fell out. A little pebble hosed that entire thing up. So anyway it got completely rebuilt including wiring to the PTO. So that included new grease lubrication inside the gear box, which I think the old grease may have been in there 40 years.

Well another 12 inches + coming tonight so maybe we'll be back in the action tomorrow.

• MH81, HowardsMF155 and Rock farmer have said thanks

#116 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted February 15, 2014 - 07:33 PM

Looks like that is a two stage snowblower?  If so, that will be an impressive snow moving machine!

#117 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,341 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted February 15, 2014 - 08:22 PM

Well, it's great that you found the issue... But odd that that is what it was.
So glad to hear that he blower is running again and that you had a chance to do some general maintenance. Even got the PTO wired up right. :dancingbanana: nothing like a job off the list.

#118 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted February 15, 2014 - 09:22 PM

Glad to hear You got it fixed!
Where was the rock?
I got mine back in service today.
Blowing snow 40'
I did manage to clog the shoot with slush.
My LGT 165 is my Fay ver rate (spell check dose not know the word)
tractor by far!
image.jpg

Joe

#119 OldBlue120 OFFLINE  

OldBlue120
  • 87 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted September 10, 2014 - 02:24 PM

Glad to hear You got it fixed!
Where was the rock?
I got mine back in service today.
Blowing snow 40'
I did manage to clog the shoot with slush.
My LGT 165 is my Fay ver rate (spell check dose not know the word)
tractor by far!
attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Joe

Sorry I missed this for so long.  I disassembled the entire snow blower and a small rock finally dropped out of the inner blower.

• Rock farmer said thank you

#120 OldBlue120 OFFLINE  

OldBlue120
  • 87 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted September 10, 2014 - 02:27 PM

Does anybody know a good source online or in Midcoast Maine to buy new Starter Generators and Voltage Regulators for 1972 Ford LG120?  I decided to buy some new ones or working used ones and install them and if I can get the old ones working or fixed I'll save them for back ups.

Anybody?