• Please log in to reply
152 replies to this topic

#61 OldBlue120 OFFLINE  

OldBlue120
  • Member No: 50196
  • 87 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted December 14, 2013 - 06:59 PM

I looked at your attachments and the one for the 10,etc HP is for 72 and newer tractors. The other one does not even show the PTO. Just out of curiosity, how many spots do you have on the back of the PTO switch for wires to hook in?

I believe on the back of the switch itself there are to stems with wires connected to them. I honestly have no idea where the wire from the PTO engaged light needs to connect. Obviously to the switch I would think since the light is supposed to come on when the PTO is engaged.

I should have taken a picture of it while I was working on it.   But I got it to work by just connecting disconnecting wires etc.  A wire had come disconnected and I plugged it back in and tada.

I'll take some pictures next time I am under there and get some good photos posted. I want to get it wired up right so the light works.

• MH81 and Oldford have said thanks

#62 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted December 14, 2013 - 07:08 PM

I would think the light would be after the switch & before the PTO. Not sure, though!

#63 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 34918
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted December 14, 2013 - 07:43 PM

Here's a shot of mine, there's a single wire from the switch to the light, the light grounds to the dash. uploadfromtaptalk1387068119980.jpg

Just realized I have a wire dangling under there not connected...I wonder what it's for as everything is working as it should?
  • MH81 said thank you

#64 OldBlue120 OFFLINE  

OldBlue120
  • 87 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted December 14, 2013 - 09:46 PM

Here's a shot of mine, there's a single wire from the switch to the light, the light grounds to the dash. attachicon.gifuploadfromtaptalk1387068119980.jpg

Just realized I have a wire dangling under there not connected...I wonder what it's for as everything is working as it should?

Thanks for the picture. A very big help. yeah I was wondering the same thing when I saw that wire hanging there, where does it go??? I think I have a few of them myself.
I will get a pic of mine and compare but now I see where the light wire needs to go anyways. I absolutely love this GT Talk forum.
  • MH81 and KennyP have said thanks

#65 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted December 15, 2013 - 03:03 AM

Glad you are getting answers and we all are getting an education on these!

#66 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted December 15, 2013 - 07:26 AM

Hey OldBlue120 that pic of your wires looks pretty good, looks like you're well on your way to sorting it out.  The p.o. of my 120 painted everything green including all the wiring, terminals, etc, not looking forward to the day when i'd have to try to figure it out.  Yours looks pretty good shape all original.

• MH81 said thank you

#67 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted December 15, 2013 - 07:30 AM

Paul, the blower turning is a great sight. Any snow to move since that vid was taken? Remember, most single stage blowers like to be "full" to work properly, I always found that meant around 5-6". If less or more, adjust speed as necessary.

#68 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 15, 2013 - 09:55 AM

Just found this topic. On many tractors the PTO is safety interlocked. Often this interlock is a source of trouble and gets disconnected as an easy fix. Both JD 300 series tractors I have were running without the interlock connected when I got them. To bad we can't get a diagram for your tractor so the wiring could be verified.  You should be getting some snow now in Maine to try that blower out. It's snowing hard here near Halifax and it's supposed to turn to rain later before freezing again over night. 

#69 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted December 15, 2013 - 10:04 AM

Brian, I think this tractor is prior to the interlock system.

#70 OldBlue120 OFFLINE  

OldBlue120
  • 87 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted December 15, 2013 - 11:48 AM

Well had a grand time snow blowing with old blue today. I think we got just about a foot and she cut right through it like nothing at all.

So I snow blowed for like and hour and then went in for awhile and came back out to snow blow to my hearts content and the battery was dead, clicking, etc.  Then I jump started it and ran for about 20 minutes, parked it, turned her off and tried to turn it over. dead as a door nail.

So something while the tractor is running is draining the battery dead. 

How in the world do you figure out what?   I guess I am off to buy a battery charger as well.

#71 OldBlue120 OFFLINE  

OldBlue120
  • 87 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted December 15, 2013 - 02:17 PM

Hey OldBlue120 that pic of your wires looks pretty good, looks like you're well on your way to sorting it out.  The p.o. of my 120 painted everything green including all the wiring, terminals, etc, not looking forward to the day when i'd have to try to figure it out.  Yours looks pretty good shape all original.

That pic was from walkinman1 and yes he had a pretty fine looking PTO switch area. Very nice of people to help each other out. I wish I was doing more helping, maybe someday. yes.   I think I have the PTO switch handled.  I have  a much bigger problem in that something is killing my battery every time I run the tractor.  I have no idea what.  

• Oldford said thank you

#72 OldBlue120 OFFLINE  

OldBlue120
  • 87 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted December 15, 2013 - 02:20 PM

Just found this topic. On many tractors the PTO is safety interlocked. Often this interlock is a source of trouble and gets disconnected as an easy fix. Both JD 300 series tractors I have were running without the interlock connected when I got them. To bad we can't get a diagram for your tractor so the wiring could be verified.  You should be getting some snow now in Maine to try that blower out. It's snowing hard here near Halifax and it's supposed to turn to rain later before freezing again over night. 

We got a foot of nice powdery snow switch I blew all over the place.  Everywhere. I have a few lessons to learn on smart snow blowing techniques so I don't blow the same snow a couple of times.

#73 OldBlue120 OFFLINE  

OldBlue120
  • 87 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted December 15, 2013 - 02:21 PM

Paul, the blower turning is a great sight. Any snow to move since that vid was taken? Remember, most single stage blowers like to be "full" to work properly, I always found that meant around 5-6". If less or more, adjust speed as necessary.

Oh yeah we got a foot of nice powdery snow and I blew it all over the place.  

• MH81 said thank you

#74 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted December 15, 2013 - 02:37 PM

Does the generator charge the battery?   Put a voltmeter on the battery while it is running should be over 13 volts. 

...to find out if you have a short with the engine not running remove a battery terminal then touch it to the post look for a tiny spark if so there is a short somewhere.

#75 OldBlue120 OFFLINE  

OldBlue120
  • 87 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted December 15, 2013 - 04:14 PM

We got a foot of nice powdery snow switch I blew all over the place.  Everywhere. I have a few lessons to learn on smart snow blowing techniques so I don't blow the same snow a couple of times.

Does the generator charge the battery?   Put a voltmeter on the battery while it is running should be over 13 volts. 

...to find out if you have a short with the engine not running remove a battery terminal then touch it to the post look for a tiny spark if so there is a short somewhere.

I added a new picture.