• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 custom8mm98 OFFLINE  

custom8mm98

• Member No: 30
  • 1 Thanks
  • 60 posts

Posted February 23, 2010 - 10:10 PM

i have a small pit smoker here on the city ranch, i have smoked several types of food on the smoker such as salmon, turkey, brisket, and both pork and beef ribs. By far my turkey is the best followed by the salmon. I keep it simple with salt,pepper, and apple juice. DO ANY OF YOU HAVE A SMOKER? what is your technique in cooking different meats?

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 24, 2010 - 06:01 AM

Chuck smokes turkeys I believe. I would love to do it sometime. Just don't have the extra space right now.

#3 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted February 24, 2010 - 08:16 AM

For turkeys I like to brine them in a simple brine of water, salt, and sugar, then I smoke them with a mix of oak, hickory, and cherry.

Pork butts are one of my favorite things to cook. I love pulled pork. I am having rib tips for lunch today.

I have a lot of cooking pictures on my site

Chuck

#4 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 24, 2010 - 09:38 PM

I gotta stop looking at your pictures of food Chuck LOL

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,612 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted February 25, 2010 - 09:17 PM

I "smoked" a turkey with my 54cal Black Powder......does that count? Then I tried just baking like a normal domestic turkey........it was awful. Could have made shoes with it!
Never owned a smoker....and I love smoked meats.
  • HANKG said thank you

#6 custom8mm98 OFFLINE  

custom8mm98

• Member No: 30
  • 1 Thanks
  • 60 posts

Posted February 26, 2010 - 09:57 PM

i can understand why you dont have a smoker daniel its a very time consuming process and you always talk of never having enough time to do anything. the last time i smoked turkeys it took almost 9 hours. salmon only takes about 2-3 hours. im going to try to smoke some jerkey, maybe i can send some out to you guys if it turns out worth a damn!

#7 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 26, 2010 - 10:23 PM

It sounds like it takes a good bit of time to smoke meat, I would imagine though you could still do other things while the stuff is smoking, just don't forget about it I guess LOL

#8 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 26, 2010 - 10:23 PM

I "smoked" a turkey with my 54cal Black Powder......does that count? Then I tried just baking like a normal domestic turkey........it was awful. Could have made shoes with it!
Never owned a smoker....and I love smoked meats.

It counts but it is the wrong type of smoke LOL

#9 Shawn OFFLINE  

Shawn

• Member No: 411
  • 0 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted May 06, 2010 - 09:45 AM

I've had great luck smoking Turkey with just shhaking some salt and pepper on them and putting chopped up onions and celery in thhe bird and in the water pan of the smoker. It was my first attempt at smoking anything and I haven't been able to beat the results ever since.

#10 WQDL753 OFFLINE  

WQDL753

Bolensholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1407
  • 59 Thanks
  • 301 posts

Posted November 17, 2010 - 04:05 AM

Bump!
I know this is an old thread, but I am the bootcamp here and I just found this one!
So, I've been smoking meats for some time, I'm no expert but I've got some experiance above my belt lol.
First, for those intimidated by the process don't be. You've gotta plan ahead, but don't worry about the meat, it makes it tough. A handy thing I've used over the years is a wireless thermometer with two probes. One is for the meat the other is for pit temp at the grate. The pit temp side has a high and low alarm so it makes it easier to enjoy your favorite frothy drink and only tend to the fire when needed.
Next, this is a low and slow method in dry heat, a brine goes a long way toward a final product you can be proud of. Twelve hours in the brine is recomended, this gives it ample time to do it's magic. I won't try to explain how it works, but it won't make it salty and the flavors you add here will get deep into the meat, so don't overwhelm it.
I feel I'm getting long winded here so now lastly, for poultry(aka gobble gobble) Any fruit or nut bearing wood gives a nice sweet undertone to the flavor. I also like maple as well, but apple may be my favorite. Even if I did get spoiled by all the pecan I collected after the last hurricane we had when I was in VA.
Final note for beginers, you will see that the outer layer of meat is pink. This is NOT undercooked, it is the smoke ring. The thicker it is the deeper the smoke penetrated the meat.

#11 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,202 posts

Posted November 17, 2010 - 06:19 AM

Even though I'm reading this thread at 6AM it still makes me hungry!:beerchug:

#12 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted November 17, 2010 - 08:34 AM

Yep about time to talk turkey again. I need to make some phone calls and see how many I am cooking this year. Last year I cooked 8 on Thanksgiving day and 3 the weekend before. As of right now I am cooking at least 3. Will be nice to fire up the smoker, I havent used the big smoker since the 4th of July.

#13 Big John OFFLINE  

Big John

• Member No: 1450
  • 21 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted January 25, 2011 - 12:22 PM

I have an electric smoker that I put an electric oven control in because it ran too hot. Best temp for smoking is 225 for most meats. A good book for this is " Cooking With Fire and Smoke" by Stephen
Schulz. Lots of good stuff. I got mine at Pages for all ages. I have smoked turkey, salmon, beef roast,
pork roast & chicken with good results. I always use the water pan. Big John.

#14 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 13, 2011 - 06:34 PM

Been smoking meats fo.r 30
years It's a big production I do a couple times every summer. I have one of the Brinkman tank type smokers.
It is high capacity so I usually throw a Brisket, Turkey Breast Pork Roast and often a loin roast on at once.
We prefer to slow cook the ribs on the grill.
The Turkey brest is soaked in a apple Cider Brine overnight before cooking. The others are treated to a dry rub my wife came up with.
I don't know what all is in it but do know the base is Cookies Flavor Enhauncer.
Truth be told Jo is the cook. I'm just the fire Man. It's my job to keep the fire going and maintain temp.
I'll use any good Hardwood, Hickory and Oak, closely followed by any fruit woods
We do so much at a time cause it's niec to fill the freezer with something to thaw for quick meals.

#15 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted February 13, 2011 - 07:46 PM

OK you guys have done now i got pull the smoker out and put some wild hog on. I put my dry rub on let sit overnight then smoke for 6-8 hrs over pecan wood. I can do about 100 lbs at one time. Get the smokers going folks