#16 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted November 21, 2013 - 09:45 AM

I know of a guy in PA that needs to be in jail but that's another story.

My wife and I sold a pop up camper for $500 back in 2002 I think. Made a deal, then we received a bank check in the mail for $4200. I emailed the person back, they said yes, please cash check, send me back 2500, keep your 500, and then pay my "hauler" the rest as "I own a wholesale company and they will pick it up for me". Being suspicious, I took check to bank and had then run it and check it out. Teller asked where I got it as he said it was a fake check, told him story of the sale. He said this was like 3rd one this week in out area, they get you to cash the check, send them the money, then you are out ALL the money once the truth comes out and you have to pay it all back. I went to police with all info, the said they would investigate. Meanwhile, I told person I had cashed the check, but if they wanted their money, they would have to pick it up in person. This went on for about a week and half, they were getting furious with me over email. I finally revealed to them we knew this was scam, police had all info and their IP address, etc. Nothing ever came about it though.

I did a search then for the name they used. This lady's name popped up on a camper forum, seems they did exact same scam to her buying a camper, although she fell for it, sent them the money. She had to sell both her old camper and the new one she had bought to cover the money from the bank. Then they turned around and was using her name to scam others.

A lot of scum out there these days.

• sacsr, HDWildBill and boyscout862 have said thanks

#17 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted November 21, 2013 - 10:27 AM

There are lots of scammer's out there.  They feed on your desire for either what you really want, like Scott, or your greedy nature, that most of us have to stifle.  As I understand it, they are all over the world.  The man who says he's a hundred miles away can be in another country, thanks to the internet and cell service.  I was told that lots of scam money goes to support terrorist types.

Be careful out there.

• sacsr and boyscout862 have said thanks

#18 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted November 21, 2013 - 10:46 AM

Always deal face to face, and only take cash. Good Luck, Rick

That doesn't always work either.  Just last night on the news a scumbag bought a van from this guy and used counterfeit money.  They seem to hit you by all angles.

A few years ago there was a scam where they called people posing as a relative in trouble in Europe or a friend of the child.  I got one posing as my oldest daughter.  She supposedly was in jail and needed money to get out.  I calmly told the person on the other end that if she was my daughter then she knew my answer.  There was silence and she said what do you mean?  I then replied "just what I thought scumbag!" and hung up.  I knew it wasn't my daughter, she live here in the same town and I had just talked to her 30 min's prior as she was headed to work.

It amazes me how people continue to support these scammer's & spammer's.

• sacsr and boyscout862 have said thanks

#19 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,545 posts

Posted November 21, 2013 - 11:08 AM

The counterfeit money is around but not as plentiful as fake checks. The Feds will be very interested in the fake money. Around here it's fake titles to cars that seem to be plentiful. When in doubt, get a picture and something with their fingerprints. Good Luck, Rick

• olcowhand and HDWildBill have said thanks

#20 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted November 21, 2013 - 12:21 PM

The counterfeit money is around but not as plentiful as fake checks. The Feds will be very interested in the fake money. Around here it's fake titles to cars that seem to be plentiful. When in doubt, get a picture and something with their fingerprints. Good Luck, Rick

That's what they said on the news article too.

#21 Bill 76 ONLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,646 Thanks
  • 1,060 posts

Posted November 23, 2013 - 12:06 AM

Yep just when you think you heard em all some bum is plotting to get your money instead of working a job to earn their own.

Most used lines of bull on craigslist have to be
1---RAN FINE WHEN I PARKED IT
2---NEEDS (some thing)EASY FIX

Beware guys and gals