sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted November 20, 2013 - 05:53 PM

I ran an ad in the Lawn & Garden Tractor magazine. Got a call over today that first got me excited.....then I realized it was TOO good to be true. Problem is, I wanted it to be true, so you tend to try to rationalize it out.

Here's how it went.....I got the model you are looking for. It was my fathers he collected them for over 40 years. He said all the right things...but where he messed up, he tried to push me to make it all happen asap. I told him I travel up into that area and could probably arrange to pick it up, he quickly said I have a friend for 40 years that hauls down your way and he just happens to be going your way this week......it kept getting better.....the truck was actually coming with in 25 miles of my house. All I had to do was pay the freight by western union, and I could write a check  for the tractor and send it to him after I had received the tractor......now why would anyone send a gt hundreds of miles away and only want the freight up front?? Cause all he was hoping to get was the freight.

I sure wanted it to be true, but I did not call him back since I felt it was just a waste of time....bummer.....

I am only posting this so those who may have not already been in this situation can head it off at the pass.......

ALL MY LIFE I HAVE LIVED BY THE CREED IF IT SOUNDS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE, IT IS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE.

SOMETHING IS WRONG.

Never let someone push you to close a deal. Ask why does it happen to have to be done this fast??? I see it in my business too, the more they push to speed it up, the more I push to slow it down.

BE CAREFUL OUT THERE.

• olcowhand, daytime dave, MH81 and 17 others have said thanks

#2 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted November 20, 2013 - 06:18 PM

I think you did not the right thing; that sounds exactly how they work their skim.

Dick 

• Littledeere and sacsr have said thanks

#3 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted November 20, 2013 - 06:23 PM

Scott, I'm sure glad you trusted your gut.  The scammers are certainly out there, a week or so ago someone contacted me about some tractor stuff I have on CL.  I answered, even though I felt sure it was wrong, and sure enough got the old, "I'm not around but I'll send a check for extra" etc nonsense.

#4 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted November 20, 2013 - 06:47 PM

I don't know how many times I have received emailed junk like that.  If they catch me feeling feisty, I have been known to write back and say something to the effect of,

"I am out of town (just like always must be) and can't answer your question.  I have forwarded your email on the appropriate party, and hopefully you will hear back from them soon.  Thank you!"

Of course the email I copy in is spam@uce.gov  :shoot2:

If we all are abreast on the typical scheme, eventually their little game will all be flat as a week old can of soda pop.  We can laugh at all the sailors (who probably never went to sea in their lives) who want to send you twice as much as your asking price on a tractor. 

What's sad is people must still fall for the old dumb tricks, because the scammers keep trying!

Ben W.

• Littledeere, sacsr and HDWildBill have said thanks

#5 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,716 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted November 20, 2013 - 06:52 PM

Scott, the guy didn't happen to use the name Bill or William and be from PA did he? The "it was my father's" line sounds like his operation. Word oveer on the smokstak is that he is back out of jail from being caught the last time and starting up again.

• KennyP, Littledeere and sacsr have said thanks

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted November 20, 2013 - 06:55 PM

Scott, the guy didn't happen to use the name Bill or William and be from PA did he? The "it was my father's" line sounds like his operation. Word oveer on the smokstak is that he is back out of jail from being caught the last time and starting up again.

I do believe Scott told me the guy's name was Bill!

• Littledeere said thank you

#7 Sawdust ONLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted November 20, 2013 - 07:01 PM

Glad you didn't fall for that. The lines I get on CL is if you send a deposit I'll send my friend down with the item & you can pay him the balance because their serving in the military. I thought I would jerk this clowns chain awhile so I questioned him about how do I know if his friend would give him the money & he actually told me he would send a Paypal representative with him to make it legal.  :bigrofl:

#8 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted November 20, 2013 - 07:05 PM

His name was "bob" and yes he was from PA.  Maybe Bill is now Bob.

Edited by sacsr, November 20, 2013 - 07:08 PM.

• olcowhand and Littledeere have said thanks

#9 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted November 20, 2013 - 07:08 PM

His name was "bob" and yes he was from PA.

Oh well, so much for my memory Scott!  Could have sworn it was Bill.  :rolling:

#10 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted November 20, 2013 - 07:09 PM

Daniel....believe me.....only reason I remember it is because I wrote it down!

• olcowhand and Littledeere have said thanks

#11 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,526 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted November 20, 2013 - 07:22 PM

Last week I had a guy call me. Said he was from some IT Tech center and he needs me to start my computer so he can show me how my computer is downloading files. He will tell me where to go online. All this with a heavy  accent with English as a second language. So I told him he sounds like a scam. He gave a funny smirking laugh and hung up on me. Afterward my wife told me I should have played along and got some info to report.

• Littledeere and HDWildBill have said thanks

#12 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,716 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted November 20, 2013 - 08:51 PM

Well after reviewing the thread here  http://www.smokstak....ght=parts sales  It appears that he is no longer using the name Bill. The newer part of the thread starts on the second page. Below is a snipet about a guy named Richard that they feel fits the "bill".

I had a suspicion, a fast search showed the phone number he was given was the same 724-797-8536 number that has been associated with Bill before. This time he was using the name Richard Muldar of Harris PA with the same story of his dads 100+ tractor collection and just happened to have the exact parts that were needed from a couple of different tractors

• Littledeere, sacsr, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#13 Littledeere ONLINE  

Littledeere

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2778
  • 1,545 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted November 20, 2013 - 09:49 PM

Amazeing our little hobby is getting big enuff for the for the NO GOOD'S to come looking for us

Thank's for the heads up

#14 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,392 Thanks
  • 1,527 posts

Posted November 20, 2013 - 11:21 PM

I recieved a text when selling a jersey bull saying they would send me a check and pick him up later. I was suspicious since I said no texts in the ad, said no found out later it was a google phone number, they tried again and I blocked their number.
  • sacsr said thank you

#15 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,753 Thanks
  • 7,523 posts

Posted November 21, 2013 - 09:05 AM

I was talking to a State Police Watch Commander 4 years ago. He said that no matter how much you warn people they will still do the dumbest things. An old guy called him about the Austrailian Lottery notifying him. He told the old guy it was a scam and not to send any money. Awhile later the old guy came into the barracks demanding that the Watch Commander get his money back. The old guy admitted that he had been warned but it sounded so good that he sent several thousand dollars. He got nasty with the Commander when he said that all they could do was file the complaint with the others. The Commander then asked him to show who and where was the con man. The old guy was then quiet when he realised that he had no idea where the con men were. Thanks for the heads ups. Always deal face to face, and only take cash. Good Luck, Rick
  • sacsr and HDWildBill have said thanks