#1 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted November 20, 2013 - 02:36 PM

has commenced again, thanks to toomanytoys's thread. Since I have been feeling better I have gotten a lot more done and accomplised more lately. When we built the garage we ran electric and gas to it and got the initial lights in the garage part. Wired one wall for plugs, wired for stick welder and mig welder. Need to wire rest of the walls , (all on seperate circuts) and the lights for the work room. Need to run wire for outside lights, and outside recepticals. Going to run wiring for front wall first. Then the wiring for the lights in the work room. Each wall of the workroom will have plugs on their own circuts. Got all the wiring and recepticles boxes etc.. Just need to get the ferrels for the grounds and we will be all set. No heat in there yet so we have to take a few breaks.  Roger.

• Alc, IamSherwood, sacsr and 4 others have said thanks

#2 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted November 20, 2013 - 03:05 PM

I guess it is getting colder up there, I know it is here, and no heat.   Just be careful and keep safety in mind.

• hamman and JRJ have said thanks

#3 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted November 20, 2013 - 03:27 PM

I build a 2nd garage a few years back and had to have it inspected by the state.

I had to have 2 ground rods for each new circuit box - ran the service wire from one garage to the other

the ground rounds - one can be close to the garage and the other has to between 6 to 10 feet away from the garage

the inspector said that he would have liked the ground wire in the service tube that goes into the garage

he said that he is having a hard time getting the electrians to do that so he he let me get by with the ground wire outside the service tube

each outlet circuit has to a ground fault on it

any out outside outlet has to be a ground fault

here in Iowa you can do your own wiring but it has to be inspected by the state

if you do not call the state for the inspector to inspect your wiring they can fine you $500 or more

he said that they know that a new garage or building goes up- because they drive around and if they see some new building 

they might stop and ask who did the wiring and if you said you and/or a friend did it you might be fined

and then they will inspect it

the inspector I had was a great guy

the first time he came he explained what I had to do to fix, what needed to be done properly

after I got them fixed I call him and a day or two later he came back and looked it over and that all is good

I had to paid $75 for the inspection - they charge for how many circuits you have and filing fee

• hamman, sacsr, HDWildBill and 2 others have said thanks

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 20, 2013 - 04:20 PM

That sounds like a good system you have there. Here you are supposed to get the work done by a licensed electrician but an inspection would only happen if you are working under a building permit, which only needs to be taken out for jobs over a certain $ figure or jobs that involve new structures over a certain size etc. Many people do their own wiring and I wonder if it could get them in trouble with insurance if there is ever a fire claim for instance. I like your system which gives you the option of an inspection for a reasonable cost. It's interesting to hear how things like this are managed in other parts.

• hamman, lyall, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,545 posts

Posted November 20, 2013 - 04:54 PM

That sounds like a good system you have there. Here you are supposed to get the work done by a licensed electrician but an inspection would only happen if you are working under a building permit, which only needs to be taken out for jobs over a certain $ figure or jobs that involve new structures over a certain size etc. Many people do their own wiring and I wonder if it could get them in trouble with insurance if there is ever a fire claim for instance. I like your system which gives you the option of an inspection for a reasonable cost. It's interesting to hear how things like this are managed in other parts.

Give insurance companies any excuse and they don't pay. Good Luck, Rick

• hamman, Team_Green and JRJ have said thanks

#6 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted November 20, 2013 - 04:55 PM

We had a building permit for the building and that was inspected with no problems. The only thing the inspector didn't see was the "hurricane straps" that tie the trusses to the walls. They were there, we just put them on from the outside so we didn't have to drive nails through the gusset straps on the trusses. Perfectly legal he said and signed off.  I pulled an electrical permit for the inital electrical work and had that inspected. Inspector asked if I had an electrician help me. I told him no, just us and his guidence. It passed with only one change. I had to seperate the neutral and grounds by putting in a seperate bar in the garage breaker box. We ran the " Mobile Home",  wire, which is direct bury, from the house panel to the garage in condit (plastic) along the back wall of the house off the ground. We then had to trench 35' from the house to the garage to lay the wire in it. I ran a locating tape on top of the wire 8" from the top of the ground. Using conduit from the ground up thru the wall to the box in the garage. In that trench we also laid cable for a TV or satellite and stainless gas pipe for a future furnace. Both the building and electrical inspectors were great to work with. As I add the extra plugs and lights I can get a permit for each additional circut for $10.00. When I get done I will have 6 extra circuts to pay permit price for. I will be glad when it is done so I can move on to put up the last two walls for the work room. I really want to wait to do that until I can afford to have the floor poured. Right now it is crushed limestone.  Thanks. Roger. 

• IamSherwood, JDBrian, CRFarnsworth and 2 others have said thanks

#7 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted November 20, 2013 - 07:09 PM

Most of my work calls for permits. The worst thing you can do is lie or try to pull something over on an inspector. Most will work with you to help get the job done right. They don't allow neutral & ground to share the same block any more in most places. Looking forward to your progress.

• hamman and JDBrian have said thanks

#8 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,319 Thanks
  • 4,665 posts

Posted November 20, 2013 - 09:23 PM

Code calls for GFCI circuits at new installations of grade level plugs in garages..  It is also true about the Neutral stake being on a separate stake located at least 6 feet from the ground's stake and that ground wiring must be totally isolated from the Neutral in the box and all circuitry as stated above..  

**Do this when you wire the plug circuits..  Always run the circuits like this-  Hook the conductors (white & black wires) in the box together wire to wire with a jumper to each plug from that wire to wire connection.  This will ensure you have the best power carrying without heat-up in the circuit..  There have been issues from the tried and true hook the two wires both on the 2 screws on the plug..  Look @ the side of your plug between those two screws and there is a little tab (which is removable in case you want to isolate each plug from one-another)...  If you have 5 plugs in a circuit hooked up in this way the first plug's little tabs are carrying all of the power drawn to all the plugs after it in that circuit..    I cringe every time I see circuits wired like this after someone complains of excessive breaker trips..  Rewiring the plugs in the whole circuit in the fashion I described above solves it almost every time unless they just have too many things running at once..  (truly overloading the circuit)  It takes longer to do but the peace of mind is definitely worth it in my opinion..  

Have your wiring inspected as strongly suggested in above posts and you'll be fine..  

Do exactly what your inspector tells you to fix if it doesn't pass and you'll be fine..  There are tons of videos on wiring on YT so watch them but keep my suggestion in mind when running the circuit..   

Just my 20 cents for what it's worth.. :ok:

• hamman and JDBrian have said thanks