22 replies to this topic

#16 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted January 25, 2014 - 09:08 PM

I did not realize the K301 had the balance gears.  I thought they were on the k321/k341 engines only.  I wonder if that is why the K301 in my recently purchased 312 grenaded.

• WNYTractorTinkerer and dodge trucker have said thanks

#17 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted January 25, 2014 - 11:06 PM

I did not realize the K301 had the balance gears.  I thought they were on the k321/k341 engines only.  I wonder if that is why the K301 in my recently purchased 312 grenaded.

could very well be.... some of each model series had them others didn't,  being that the 312 was supposed to be Deere's "Cadillac" of garden tractors (compared to the competitors anyway)  it wouldn't surprise me they'd do all they could to make theirs run smoother than the rest.

#18 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted January 25, 2014 - 11:54 PM

hey, another unfortunate person stuck in Illinois.... Kankakee here  getting to work in Joliet has been a chore since the new year

I got my M12 on the bench and after working the bore with steel wool (sat too long between its strip thru the machine shop and being assembled LOL)  I did put in a steel governor gear that I got from feebay.. I am at  exactly "that point" to either out the crank back into the block and line up the gears or to take them out.... can't find my small snap ring pliers when I need em....

I never took the gears out when I sent the block for machining. they spin very free, with no telltale "slop" 
My thoughts are to remove them and go see my buddy at motion industries, match up new bearings/bushings and press them in...
that way I can keep the balance and hopefully prolong their demise. this engine is an exact identical replacement to what's on my Woods ZTR the one on the bench is a spare I took off of a twin that I got as a parts machine.
Do those gears have needle bearings or bushings, or what? (I'll know the answer once I find my snap ring pliers LOL)

IMHO, the removal of the gears falls under "an ounce of prevention".
  • olcowhand and dodge trucker have said thanks

#19 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted January 26, 2014 - 10:20 AM

IMHO, the removal of the gears falls under "an ounce of prevention".

I have seen engines (not just kohlers) both ways-- with and without the gears,--but I can't say that I've had 2 of the same engines "back to back"  with the difference being one has/the other doesn't have  balance gears...

as has been said elsewhere, often its hard to tell whether a given engine has them or don't unless (stealing from briggs, here) they have some ID on them like a "Synchro balance" sticker for instance, until it is taken apart.

A couple years ago I did have 2  Briggs engines,  apart at the same time, both of which DID have balance setups in them/ and 1 of the engines was destroyed because of them... (but lack of oil probably was the real reason behind that)   these were both 12.5 HP,  vertical shaft  aluminum L head ones.  I rebuilt one of them, and had to raid both of the engines to get enough parts to get 1 good running engine between the 2... and that was even after sending the block and crank that I used, in to be machined---and buying new rod and piston because of the needed machine work...(I was hoping to be able to get them both functional, at that time)

but an alum Briggs vs a K series kohler is an apples and oranges comparison. 

the briggs aluminum is definitely regarded as a throw a way, where these kohlers geneally are built to last "forever" and are more likely to be rebuilt, when something does happen.   this is 1 reason  why I was wondering if I should leave the balance gears in on this rebuild... even if that means finding new bearings for them. 

My Woods ZTR, which this engine is being built for has the exact same engine on it down to the spec number and all... I take it that means that the engine on the mower now also has balance gears.

the engine on the mower now, is still in good shape.  I have no plans on swapping engines unless/until "something happens" to the one that's on the mower... at present it uses no oil between changes, and don't smoke or knock/// so it may be a while before this engine I am assembling on the bench, actually gets put to use. But I want it "ready to go" just in case... and I want to get it together, oiled,  and sealed up so I don't have to spend hours cleaning the machined surfaces with steel wool again....

but with all the talk here of taking them out I guess I'll be bringing my snap ring pliers home from work tomorrow and taking the gears out of this one.

Edited by dodge trucker, January 26, 2014 - 10:22 AM.

#20 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 26, 2014 - 12:04 PM

All I'll say is I've seen many balance gears bust a picture window into a block, but never seen them do it once taken out!  :smilewink:

• WNYTractorTinkerer and dodge trucker have said thanks

#21 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted January 27, 2014 - 12:42 PM

FWIW - the original engines in JD 120's and 312's did NOT have balance gears according to the Deere service manual that I dug out of storage.  Replacement engines would have had them.

Edited by Trav1s, January 27, 2014 - 12:42 PM.

#22 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 27, 2014 - 02:36 PM

I took the balance gears out of my Kohler K341 when I redid it and I can't tell a difference in vibration. Nice piece of mind knowing they are not in there waiting to come out.

• olcowhand and dodge trucker have said thanks

#23 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted January 27, 2014 - 07:58 PM

yeah I looked thru the link to brian miller's helpful tips and he says same thing