• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis OFFLINE  

Dennis

• Member No: 1983
  • 6 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted November 19, 2013 - 05:41 PM

Has anyone ever pulled a engine 14 hp out of a bolens 1402 with a rear driveshaft. I sure could use some advice on the procedure. Are the motor bolted from the top or bottom. Is it easier to pull the driveshaft with engine or try to diconnect it from motor. Attachment of what it looks like.  The model of the engine is a briggs 14 hp  the model # is 400437    type is 012201.  Any help would be great

Attached Thumbnails

• P1010001.JPG
  • P1010002.JPG
  • P1010004.JPG

#2 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,345 Thanks
  • 1,754 posts

Posted November 19, 2013 - 10:13 PM

Hi, its easier to un bolt the stub shaft to remove the engine,and unbolt it from the engine cradle

#3 Dennis OFFLINE  

Dennis

• 6 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted November 19, 2013 - 11:38 PM

Hi, its easier to un bolt the stub shaft to remove the engine,and unbolt it from the engine cradle

Are you Talking about the 2 bolts you see in the picture?  And also how do you get to the 2 rear engine bolts ? Are they on the topside of the engine base....  Thanks

Edited by Dennis, November 19, 2013 - 11:40 PM.

#4 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • 2,345 Thanks
  • 1,754 posts

Posted November 19, 2013 - 11:58 PM

Ya, the 2 bolts that hold the stub shaft on,if you follow the engine cradle you will see the motor mount bolts

#5 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,115 posts

Posted November 20, 2013 - 09:18 AM

First remove the hood. Next unhook the wiring harness and the choke, throttle and fuel line and remove them through the firewall and hang out of the way. Next unhook the spring on the pto  Idler pulley and remove the belts. If I remember correct you can not get the motor unbolted from the cradle as there is not enough room so find the 4 bolts that mount the cradle to the tractor and remove them they are located at each corner and have the rubber mounts. As for the drive shaft I beleave that one has the two piece driveshaft and will slide right off as it is lifted out if not the two bolts will need to be removed from it.

#6 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • 2,345 Thanks
  • 1,754 posts

Posted November 20, 2013 - 09:50 AM

I have removed the engine mount bolts,barely enough room to do it but can be done,its tricky

#7 Dennis OFFLINE  

Dennis

• 6 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted November 20, 2013 - 04:13 PM

Ya, the 2 bolts that hold the stub shaft on,if you follow the engine cradle you will see the motor mount bolts

Got everything apart except the driveshaft.   Think the stub is just stuck to engine

#8 Dennis OFFLINE  

Dennis

• 6 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted November 20, 2013 - 04:16 PM

First remove the hood. Next unhook the wiring harness and the choke, throttle and fuel line and remove them through the firewall and hang out of the way. Next unhook the spring on the pto  Idler pulley and remove the belts. If I remember correct you can not get the motor unbolted from the cradle as there is not enough room so find the 4 bolts that mount the cradle to the tractor and remove them they are located at each corner and have the rubber mounts. As for the drive shaft I beleave that one has the two piece driveshaft and will slide right off as it is lifted out if not the two bolts will need to be removed from it.

Thanks for the info.Got every thing apart except the driveshaft think I might need a big hammer .  Stuck on engine

#9 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • 2,345 Thanks
  • 1,754 posts

Posted November 20, 2013 - 05:56 PM

Ya, they can be a little tight

#10 Dennis OFFLINE  

Dennis

• 6 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted November 20, 2013 - 06:55 PM

Ya, they can be a little tight

well a little wd-40 a bid hammer and a wedged chisel poped it off.   Engine is now on my work bench untill tomorrow . Then pull the fly wheel and check the coil and the stator or hopefully just find a wire shorted out