Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Converting A Walk Behind Snowblower To A Walk Behind Blade.

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted November 22, 2013 - 02:46 PM

Me Likey

:thumbs: :D :rocker2:

• Don Campbell said thank you

#17 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted November 22, 2013 - 03:17 PM

Is that thing hydrostatic drive or gear? Asking because of the larger tires. You sure do work fast!!

#18 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• Member No: 7818
  • 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted November 22, 2013 - 07:52 PM

Gear driven , it will be fun tomorrow to use it .

#19 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted November 23, 2013 - 10:45 AM

Well, Deb followed me out in the blowing snow to take a video of the new power shovel in action . She is downloading it in a few minutes. It actually worked awesome !!  54" swath and plenty of power and traction was 95% so i was very pleased. 4 inches of lake effect it was the perfect storm. 4 to 6 more inches tonight .

Attached Thumbnails

• aafirsttime1.jpg
  • aafirsttime4.jpg
  • aafirsttime5.jpg

• MH81, bgkid2966, twostep and 1 other said thanks

#20 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted November 23, 2013 - 10:00 PM

Obviously doing the job.

Nice work.

#21 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted November 23, 2013 - 10:29 PM

Looks to work great! Nice job as always! :worshippy1:  :worshippy1:

Geno

#22 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted November 24, 2013 - 12:32 PM

Another 4 inches of snow in Gaylord today so I used the walk behind blade again to push everything to the side . But today I fired up the jd455 for the first time to see if the blower still worked. It did a great job . I felt the tires spin a couple times and after I got off to clean it I saw the rear weights were not on. That will make a difference, ha,ha.

Attached Thumbnails

• aaabackup.jpg

Edited by Don Campbell, November 24, 2013 - 12:33 PM.

• trowel and bgkid2966 have said thanks

#23 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted November 24, 2013 - 07:15 PM

what model was that blower, it looks like my 828D   what are you gonna do with the left overs, may be good spares to have...

and what exactly happened to it again, that prompted you to abandon it as a snow BLOWER?

#24 MadAtGrass OFFLINE  

MadAtGrass
  • Member No: 49320
  • 76 Thanks
  • 46 posts

Posted November 24, 2013 - 09:42 PM

I have the back of a blower that I thought about doing the same thing with. I don't know it it will even move snow if I put a blade on the front of it. Is this the first time you've done a project like this?

#25 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted November 25, 2013 - 08:43 AM

I plowed my driveway again yesterday 4 more inches of powdery snow and it worked excellent again. It's not for heavy snow being belt driven . It's for those days you get 2 or 3 inches and you just want to push it over to the side then later hit the snow with the snowblower. I don't like that blower running so long for just 2 inches so I often shovel my driveway to a windrow on each side and then hit it with my jd455 and 47 inch 2 stage blower. This is the first time I tried this. The jd 828D sat for the last four years . I bought it new and it had less than ten hours on it. I decided to put it on craiglist for sale . I put gas in it and it was leaking all over out of the carb bowl . I tour apart the carb and it was a rusty mess so i ordered a new carb. Got the carb and it run like new until I engaged the blower and it started clanging and clunking like crazy. Tore apart the auger , gearbox and the auger was all rusted to the shaft just like weld . I soaked it and beat it with a sledge hammer and no luck . I ended up cutting it all off . Tore apart the gear box and it looked like brand new . I decided to turn it into a project I thought of a long time ago. I will actually get more use out of it this way than as a blower . I love how quick it cleans my driveway . The gearbox , gears , augers and chute I will put on craigslist as i saw those parts are very pricey on e-bay. They should be worth $150.00 total because they want a few hundred just for a gearbox. Some reason that auger rusted on that shaft against the bearing . I am very pleased with my new walk behind snow shovel.

#26 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted November 26, 2013 - 08:49 AM

Third day of using the walkbehind blade. We just had a inch plus drifting and the city plow closed up the end . This was perfect for the 54 inch push blade. Those are the days i would have been out hand shoveling because I would not want to start a tractor.

I think I will use it everytime 4 inches or less to windrow . I am going to try next time starting in the middle of the driveway and pushing the snow to both edges and end up with two big windrows. That way i won't have to change the angle of the blade. Then I can use the 455 , 47" blower to move the snow in the yard.

#27 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted November 28, 2013 - 09:33 AM

Four days of plowing my driveway and it worked great again. What a handy little outfit for cleaning the driveway in a hurry when it is just light snow and not worth firing up a tractor. People driving by on the street do a doubletake . They must think what the heck is he got now, ha,ha.

• shorty said thank you

#28 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,565 Thanks
  • 3,947 posts

Posted November 28, 2013 - 10:26 AM

That is neat. I never would have guessed that it would have enough weight for traction. That is a good sized blade on there.

#29 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted February 09, 2014 - 10:54 PM

ancient thread/ so it was an 828 D   only 10 hours on it, a shame it rusted all up like that... and todays gas.... isnt doing us any favors either.  I have an 828 D as well, got it in a trade a few years ago. mine too is like new still. I dont think it had more than a few hours on it when I got it; though curiously there's no model/serial number sticker on mine. 

do you have any of your left overs from the blower still?  Let me know I may be interested depending on what exactly you may have left,, as spare parts... I dont plan on getting rid of mine any time soon especially with 2 driveways and my only kid being 20, he wont be around forever.... so that leaves the driveway clearing up to me.

I remember all the gearbox problems Dad had with the Sears 2 stage he bought back in like 1979, I replaced the gearbox on that one a couple times..... the 1st time was warranty (it was that new when it first  had issues)

mine leaks out the mouth of the carb too, if it's not running-- and I forget to shut off the gas valve under the tank.

#30 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted February 18, 2014 - 06:10 PM

I just should have used it every winter just a couple times but didn't . I had no idea it would ruin the carb and set up the shaft . 5 years of sitting in a damp shed I deserved that. For now I'll keep the parts as i am always thinking of new projects. I would actually like to put a self powered snowblower on the front of the mini loader with a 30 hp engine. Now that would be fun. Low range is SO SLOW  it would work great blowing snow .

• Alc said thank you