29 replies to this topic

#16 TerryD OFFLINE  

TerryD

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5916
  • 132 Thanks
  • 254 posts

Posted November 19, 2013 - 01:41 PM

I am a list maker too. It feels great at the end of the day when I get to cross something off.
  • hamman, IamSherwood, Cvans and 3 others have said thanks

#17 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted November 19, 2013 - 02:30 PM

My motivation is the fact that it just keeps piling higher & higher if I don't get things finished.  It might take me a long time to complete some jobs due to having to do other jobs, but it always gets done eventually.

• hamman, Cvans, boyscout862 and 3 others have said thanks

#18 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted November 19, 2013 - 03:07 PM

I second what WildBill said. The full spectrum light bulbs can help with the depression and lack of energy that comes on from a lack of sunlight.  A multivitamin can help too. These help with the energy. You will have to provide the motivation. Since I'm retired, I just nap more. Good Luck, Rick

• Alc, hamman, Cvans and 4 others have said thanks

#19 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,513 Thanks
  • 5,031 posts

Posted November 19, 2013 - 04:16 PM

This is an interesting subject. I have one suggestion for you list makers, Don't leave your list laying next to a pencil or it's liable to grow at a rate that only Superman can keep up with.  :smilewink:

• DougT, Alc, hamman and 5 others have said thanks

#20 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted November 19, 2013 - 06:30 PM

Didn't accomplish anything its 630 still cooking dinner and waiting for the family to get home. Took 30 minutes to get a fire going. Darn chimney was cold
  • hamman, boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#21 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted November 19, 2013 - 06:56 PM

My motivation is to go to Garden tractor Shows, Plow Days, makes want to get things done.

When you see other peoples stuff and use your own tractors at shows, plow days, pulls, that's the best motivation I found that works.

• Alc, hamman, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#22 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted November 19, 2013 - 07:07 PM

The only thing that keeps me moving is the fact that if I don't do it, nobody else will then I'll be even further behind.  

I have the opposite problem: if I don't do it, my wife will hire someone who will.  Then I have to work twice as hard to pay for it.  And pay for it I do with the endless reminders of her having to hire someone.  Easier just to do it and get it over with.

• Alc, hamman, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#23 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,752 Thanks
  • 8,921 posts

Posted November 19, 2013 - 07:54 PM

MD:

Mountain-Dew.jpgMountain-Dew.jpgMountain-Dew.jpg

• powerking56, Alc, hamman and 2 others have said thanks

#24 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • 11,752 Thanks
  • 8,921 posts

Posted November 19, 2013 - 07:57 PM

Or have your in-laws move in with you. I now get 'the look' times two. In stereo. Before and after. (I got in a $hitload of trouble the time I said that to the wife) I dream stuff up to get away. I have drove my truck once in the last two months. It's been washed 3 times and waxed once.

• hamman, IamSherwood, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#25 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted November 19, 2013 - 08:01 PM

Cat, just pull one of those large excavators down here & clean the sludge out of our manure pit.  Good excuse to get away, and we get the heavy deposits out of our pit at the same time.  That way both of get get the sh!$ out of our systems!  :smilewink:

• hamman, KennyP, Cvans and 3 others have said thanks

#26 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted November 19, 2013 - 08:18 PM

My problem is I got so much going on I get side tracked. Since I'm recovering from surgery it is even worse. I may work on several projects during the day & nothing is getting completed. A good example is today. I started out working on a home made spot welder, got aggravated because I'm loosing three volts coming out of the foot switch I built...wire too small. Checked on ebay for GT I'm watching.  Put new tires on trailer two weeks ago, got small leak around bead...pulled wheel off to fix, decided to paint wheels since I got them off. Pulled some wires for the new lights. Wife wanted me to burn three boxes of old receipts etc. that were out dated...might as well burn some scrap wood at the same time. Started cleaning the gas grill & realized it's so worn out no point of doing that but I'm thinking about removing the grill & putting a wood table about six feet long & four feet wide for a mobile work/assembly table for outside. Checked out ebay again getting close. Moderated a train forum for awhile banned several spammers. I repaired an extension cord. Looked for a dust chute I lost off my miter saw. Worked on the head light plate on my MF12 that's begging for finish paint. Pulled some sheet metal off the Cub 1250 if you remember I have a broken governor cross shaft. My therapist upped my weights on my left shoulder so I think I can fix the Cub...maybe. Came in ate dinner forgot about the GT on ebay went down for $115.99. Got a lot done but again nothing is finished. By the way this is what I lost http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1423.l2649

• hamman, Cat385B, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#27 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • 11,752 Thanks
  • 8,921 posts

Posted November 19, 2013 - 08:55 PM

Jim, I can help you:

Point the miter saw towards the door and quit wasting time looking for the bag.

You're welcome!

• hamman, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#28 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted November 19, 2013 - 09:19 PM

I'm a list maker too. I find it helps me to stop thinking about all the things

I need/want to do. There's always lots to be done, and I think less gets done

if too much time is spent thinking about that. Do it like D Brown said.

Look at the list. Pick what's most important or what you want to do, and go from

there.

Stay away from too much MD. That stuff will ruin your figure.

Good luck.

• hamman, boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#29 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,585 posts

Posted November 19, 2013 - 09:35 PM

toomanytoys , you have started something! I just came in from the garage where I was getting the rest of the wiring materials ready for the other two walls and ceiling lights I haven't put in yet.

cat, how did you know that's how I have my miter saw? You been snoopin again. (actually a hose run ot the window)

My wife doesn't make lists for me but I feel guilty enough I just do what needs to be done........well when I get to it. I seem to have a lot more energy as time goes on. Time I have money not so much. right now I have 8 projects ( not all GT related) that I wanted to do this winter. Not going to be able to do all of them, just found out I have to help a friend move in the next few weeks. That will take up a bunch of time and that will cut into the project time.

Remember. " if the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy".    Roger.

• Alc, boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#30 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,870 Thanks
  • 3,199 posts

Posted November 19, 2013 - 11:32 PM

Daylight? What's that? Sun's up about 7:45am., sets around 5:00pm.--- when it's not overcast or snowing--- and we haven't hit the shortest day yet. Lately all my project time has been taken up moving snow around, just got the cattle yard all cleaned out so we can think about sorting and shipping calves, and today we get another 8" of the white stuff to blow out of the way. We had a high temp. of -10 C. and the power was out for five hours. Sure glad we were motivated to cut and stack wood earlier this fall. We make lists too, makes getting things done easier, but just knowing that there is nobody but the two of us to get things done is the best motivator of all--- if we don't do it, nobody does it, and "nobody" does a rotten job!

• hamman, KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks