29 replies to this topic

#1 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,222 Thanks
  • 5,069 posts

Posted November 19, 2013 - 10:33 AM

I have so many projects looming at the house.  I am about burnt out from stacking fire wood, recent changes at work have kept me hopping at work, and I have a tough time in the winter with the lack of day light.  When the sun goes down, I go to sleep...

I have a garage door opener to install, and the complete gut and redo of the laundry room. 

I just can't get moving.  I just want to flop down on the couch when I come home from work.  Should I drink more beer?

• MH81, hamman, boyscout862 and 4 others have said thanks

#2 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted November 19, 2013 - 10:44 AM

The only thing that keeps me moving is the fact that if I don't do it, nobody else will then I'll be even further behind.  I don't get much help around here so I basically have to grit my teeth and work through thoughts of the comfy chair.  It never fails though, I knock off early figuring "it will be there tomorrow" only to get fidgety in that chair and head back out to get something else done.  I absolutely hate it when it gets dark so early.  Very counter-productive.

• MH81, Alc, hamman and 7 others have said thanks

#3 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,625 Thanks
  • 2,577 posts

Posted November 19, 2013 - 11:02 AM

OHHHHHHH........long story short, family and looking at the end result. If you can see it in your mind how you want it to be after your hard work, that is as much a finish as a started but not yet completed project. Family is a motivator if you let them be. Pride in what you have or are going to accomplish at the end of the project. Believe me I have a lot of projects and to much time and not enough money to do them. I am just grateful for what I have in my family and my health and of couse my hobby. Just take it one thing at a time and get that one done. Have fun doing it and make sure to take time to admire and be grateful for what you are doing and have done. Whewwwww, longer answer than I thought. Good Luck, feel free to let us know how you are doing in these projects. I like reading about other members projects and accomplshments.  

As Red Green says, "..... Keep your stick on the ice, I'm pullin for ya...."         Roger.

• MH81, Alc, IamSherwood and 7 others have said thanks

#4 bh115577 OFFLINE  

bh115577
  • Member No: 9791
  • 434 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted November 19, 2013 - 11:06 AM

My kids motivate me to keep going. I love them, don't get me wrong, but when they start complaining at Mom I'm out the door.

As for the beer part, I find it helps a lot  :thumbs:  as long as I'm not working with sharp things. I have my own repair shop working on golf course equipment, lots of sharpening, and a full time job as well so I usually don't have to be nagged into finding something to do.

Maybe a few whiny kids will do the trick.  :smilewink: 

• Alc, hamman, boyscout862 and 5 others have said thanks

#5 Jack OFFLINE  

Jack
  • Member No: 9304
  • 1,127 Thanks
  • 771 posts

Posted November 19, 2013 - 11:15 AM

Less beer and More Coffee ! Good luck.
  • olcowhand, Alc, hamman and 6 others have said thanks

#6 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,222 Thanks
  • 5,069 posts

Posted November 19, 2013 - 11:30 AM

Thanks for the inspiration. 

I think the key is going to be just going in there with the sledge and sawzall and just start ripping stuff out.  After its ripped out I have no choice but to be motivated and start putting it back together.  I can't stand a half finished project.

Bad part is money isn't the issue.  I have the drywall, compound, screws, 2x4s, closet doors, flooring, plywood, and all the other things to finish it with as I bought them when I had the money set aside for the project. 

I didn't start it earlier because splitting wood, and doing other things took over.  Then it was birthday party for little girl, and I didn't have time to complete it.  Now there is no excuse.

Oil tank is full, and there is enough wood split and stacked for probably 2 and half winters. 

I don't have trouble in the spring and summer.  Its late fall and winter that are killers for me.  And really that should be my most productive time.  Since I don't have to cut grass and do outdoor chores.

Edited by toomanytoys84, November 19, 2013 - 11:38 AM.

• Alc, hamman, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#7 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,469 Thanks
  • 5,005 posts

Posted November 19, 2013 - 11:32 AM

I've always been active. My wife is the same way. Two type A personalities under one roof can get interesting at times.  :bounce: 

Another thing that plays into it is if I set to long it starts getting painful, bad back. There is nothing like pain to keep you motivated.

• hamman, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 2 others have said thanks

#8 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted November 19, 2013 - 11:51 AM

I too suffer from the late fall and winter blahs, the getting dark early really does me in, even for inside projects, I find that when I get home from work I can't stop and eat/relax or I am done for, I have to keep moving, a light snack and then get right into whatever needs to be done, if it sit and eat, spend any time in front of the TV or computer it takes way more to get me back up and moving. :help:

• hamman, IamSherwood, KennyP and 5 others have said thanks

#9 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,297 Thanks
  • 4,656 posts

Posted November 19, 2013 - 12:46 PM

I've always been active. My wife is the same way. Two type A personalities under one roof can get interesting at times.  :bounce: 

Another thing that plays into it is if I set to long it starts getting painful, bad back. There is nothing like pain to keep you motivated.

My problem is that when I get motivated I'm fine until 2 days later..  Then the pain comes on..  It's heck to get old!!  

**but it beats the alternative!

• hamman, Cvans, boyscout862 and 3 others have said thanks

#10 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,584 posts

Posted November 19, 2013 - 12:49 PM

I don't always stay busy... Often the allure of the easy chair calls me in like a siren.

I do have to watch tho, as feeling like I am unproductive will make me grumpy. Add to that a couple of teenagers and things can get interesting :smilewink:

I wish you luck and if you find the magic elixir, please share it... Without caffeine in my life any longer, it may be a long and lazy winter.
  • hamman, IamSherwood, Cvans and 4 others have said thanks

#11 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,478 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted November 19, 2013 - 12:49 PM

I fell your pain, this daylight savings time sure doesn't save much daylight. Sucks getting home after dark, then grabbing a bite to eat. By that time it's 6:30 or so and I have no desire to start a project.

Then a little depression kicks in cause you aren't getting anytihng done, nasty cycle it is!

I have 4-5 different tractors in different stages of repair, a project truck I bought July of 2012 that i have barely touched. Now we are going into remodel and moving into moms house.... I'm getting more depressed thinking about it.

Now my wife is having anxiety issues, been at hospital twice in the last week. I wonder sometimes, but I just do stuff and what doesn't get done, doesn't , it will be there tomorrow or the next day.

• hamman, IamSherwood, Cvans and 5 others have said thanks

#12 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted November 19, 2013 - 01:23 PM

One thing you could do is make a list of what needs done.  I do this around this time every year.  This is what needs done and it needs done by this date.  Sometimes I have to get so much done by the fall plow day so I can go without guilt.  I'm a list maker as are my daughters.  I make a list and just can't relax until everything is crossed off.  It actually makes it nice because you can prioritize however you want.  On a lazy day, pick a couple of small jobs that don't take long to do.  Then you feel better because the list is smaller.  I even break down the firewood chore into smaller increments and plug in small jobs between.  Breaks things up.  Just a few things that work for me.

• hamman, IamSherwood, Cvans and 5 others have said thanks

#13 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted November 19, 2013 - 01:28 PM

One thing I have found that helps me this time of year is bright blueish (daylight) light.

• hamman, Cvans, boyscout862 and 3 others have said thanks

#14 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,222 Thanks
  • 5,069 posts

Posted November 19, 2013 - 01:36 PM

One thing you could do is make a list of what needs done.  I do this around this time every year.  This is what needs done and it needs done by this date.  Sometimes I have to get so much done by the fall plow day so I can go without guilt.  I'm a list maker as are my daughters.  I make a list and just can't relax until everything is crossed off.  It actually makes it nice because you can prioritize however you want.  On a lazy day, pick a couple of small jobs that don't take long to do.  Then you feel better because the list is smaller.  I even break down the firewood chore into smaller increments and plug in small jobs between.  Breaks things up.  Just a few things that work for me.

I like that idea, but I'd end up losing the list! 

This will seem weird, but the firewood got addicting.  I just kept gathering more up, cutting more, splitting more, stacking more...it was like a drug.  I was all over it.

I'm going to go home tonight, walk in the garage, pick up the sledge and throw it through the closet wall.  I'll have to get started then..or hang a picture over the hole.  Either way I accomplished something.

• MH81, hamman, IamSherwood and 7 others have said thanks

#15 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted November 19, 2013 - 01:40 PM

I like that idea, but I'd end up losing the list! 

This will seem weird, but the firewood got addicting.  I just kept gathering more up, cutting more, splitting more, stacking more...it was like a drug.  I was all over it.

I hear what you're saying.  It can get addicting, especially if you're feeling good and the weather is with you.  The list is like a budget.  It's workable, adjustable.  You can pick and choose what you do so long as you do something on the list.  My list usually grows as I cross things off and things come to mind.  Flexibility is the key.

• hamman, Cvans, oldedeeres and 3 others have said thanks