#1 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted November 18, 2013 - 07:48 AM

Won a Farm King MTD 990 off epay from Logansport, IN.  I just sold one about like it at show this fall, and now I'm getting another.  Something wrong with me?  Anyway, will be small road trip and have pictures later when I get it home. Don't tell Mama! Wonder where I'm gonna jamb it into the garage?

• rustyoldjunk, Alc, hamman and 5 others have said thanks

#2 SupplySergeant OFFLINE  

SupplySergeant

Eggman's Dad

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 45293
  • 1,079 Thanks
  • 655 posts

Posted November 18, 2013 - 08:03 AM

Won a Farm King MTD 990 off epay from Logansport, IN.  I just sold one about like it at show this fall, and now I'm getting another.  Something wrong with me?  Anyway, will be small road trip and have pictures later when I get it home. Don't tell Mama! Wonder where I'm gonna jamb it into the garage?

Just drop it off here, we'll keep it safe for you!

• rustyoldjunk and trowel have said thanks

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 18, 2013 - 11:17 AM

Congrats on the new tractor!

• rustyoldjunk said thank you

#4 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted November 20, 2013 - 05:34 PM

Tractor is "Home"!   PO couldn't get it to crank and was fiddling with key when I got there. Looked it over some,, and loaded it to go home as is.  I got it running when home by crossing selonoid  and took right off.  Drove some back and forth, not far and backed into garage. Runs OK, no smoking or knocking. Wiring will surely need work. Brake pedal not movable and even drive lever was really sticky, no lube for long time I guess. Had to hunt for N as usual on these things it seems. Took the blade off, it was for Bolens and lift cobbled to make it work. Here's some shots. I want to find year. Does not have the Start/Gen, but a mounted starter, much like my Speedex has, not even a bump out in grill for that. No big park lock lever like one I've had before, just a lift knob for park. Here's numbers. Not sure on all of them, hard to read and worn pretty good.

Model 140-990 20 AD70D   That first D might be O or ?? 

Serial  41-013 ? 020  That question mark may have been a 5? or other ? 

Steering wheel looks like later model MTD and the seat might not be stock, not sure on that yet. Has correct spring mount. Also has diff muffler and heat guard than I've had before, that help in vintage?

Attached Thumbnails

• Z Farm King 3 2013-11-20 006.jpg
  • Z Farm King 3 2013-11-20 007.jpg
  • Z Farm King 3 2013-11-20 008.jpg
  • Z Farm King 3 2013-11-20 009.jpg
  • Z Farm King 3 2013-11-20 010.jpg
  • Z Farm King 3 2013-11-20 011.jpg

Edited by glgrumpy, November 20, 2013 - 05:37 PM.

• sacsr said thank you

#5 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,585 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted November 20, 2013 - 05:42 PM

Looks good, did you get any attachments with it?

#6 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted November 20, 2013 - 06:28 PM

According to the model number it's an '80 (third digit) and that matches the quick attach carriage, starter/no bump, one-piece front wheels, dipstick notched gas tank, and late style muffler. Plus there should be no hole in the frame.
  • sacsr said thank you

#7 VTXrider OFFLINE  

VTXrider
  • Member No: 16031
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted November 20, 2013 - 06:29 PM

I was watching that Ebay listing to see how far it would climb. End right where it should have - on your trailer.

That will be a 1980 GL. The "0" in the model number 140 indicates the year. Looks like a replacement seat, the original had a high back. Your muffler and heat shield are also correct. The brace from the side plate to the shield was added though. The cracks on the top of the shield and the dash tower are also standard. The muffler may have a rust hole on the inside bottom. The chrome air cleaner is another new style change.

Good find and glad you got it.

Edited by VTXrider, November 20, 2013 - 06:31 PM.

• sacsr said thank you

#8 61Gold OFFLINE  

61Gold

• Member No: 8052
  • 8 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted November 20, 2013 - 06:33 PM

Looks like one of mine which is a 1980 model year. I seen some 79 models with the starter but they had the big lever for parking brake not the pull up knob. My 1980 also came with the chrome air filter housing.

• VTXrider said thank you

#9 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted November 20, 2013 - 08:13 PM

Dumb question but in the last picture, it looks like the oil drain plug is missing.  Am I missing something there??

#10 HALFSCALE OFFLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4343
  • 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted November 21, 2013 - 11:14 AM

Drain plug is on the right hand side of engine Jim. That style muffler started in 76 or 77. And there should be a hat shape section that goes between seat and the spring, it keeps the seat from hitting the fenders, I've seen most missing on tractors that have had the seats replaced.

Neat to see it has the tool box option.

#11 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted November 21, 2013 - 07:12 PM

"Tool Box"?  That little tin on back with lights?  Was gonna remove and throw that! Shouldn't then?   80! Wow! Almost a "new" one then. Will be tearing into it this spring, not in winter. Might look over and tinker some and lube stuff up for sure, to see it anything moves easier or not. Those pedal fulcrums or shafts or ? that go thru the frame can be a real bear to get loose. Last one I gave up on removing them and blasted and painted around the parts hanging on frame. Almost wrecked them trying to get out.  ON the hole in frame, didn't see anything, but DID notice frame edge bumps up just before the axle mounting. Kinda narrows down in a curve shape right there on both sides. Probly don't get what I mean w/out a pix. Don't recall that on other frame I did, but have "slept" since then and don't recall now. I have interest in 3pt arms and links for it if any avail.  Are they diff for this year from others? Don't have to be "correct" for year, just workable. Guess would need the upper link mount too, and a link if Lucky enough to find one of those. I DO have a three point of smaller MTD that is heavy, but has rockshaft above the main arms on back and diff set-up. Don't really wanna cobble something on it to work. 

#12 VTXrider OFFLINE  

VTXrider
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted November 23, 2013 - 08:29 AM

GL, a while back I posted here about a local welder - fabricator who is selling the 3 pt hitch setup, or its parts.

http://gardentractor...-hitch-install/. I bought one for mine and am happy with it.

There is a picture or it at his Facebook page, scroll down. https://www.facebook...?ref=ts&fref=ts

Another option is Blacksmithman's posted prints here on GT Talk, to fabricate your own. 

The arms from any 990 style tractor will fit. The older models look a bit different. They used heavier steel and slightly different shapes.

I have available from my recent acquisition the lift arms and the upper link mount, the pull links and draw bar were destroyed. Sent a PM if you are interested.

Attached Thumbnails

• Image00001.jpg

Edited by VTXrider, November 23, 2013 - 08:30 AM.

• sacsr said thank you

#13 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted November 23, 2013 - 01:47 PM

OK, no PM here??  Interested if not too much $$$. 

#14 VTXrider OFFLINE  

VTXrider
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted November 24, 2013 - 06:48 AM

Looks like one of mine which is a 1980 model year. I seen some 79 models with the starter but they had the big lever for parking brake not the pull up knob. My 1980 also came with the chrome air filter housing.

Looks like you have quite the range of 990s 61. Do you have a picture of all of them you could post? 

Welcome to the forum.

#15 oifla OFFLINE  

oifla
  • Member No: 8732
  • 6 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted January 20, 2014 - 11:54 AM

Looks like you have quite the range of 990s 61. Do you have a picture of all of them you could post? 

Welcome to the forum.

yeah, let's see a pic  :wewantpics: