OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted November 18, 2013 - 01:27 AM

I went over to the WPGTA plow day in Renfrew Pa. on Saturday.

I took the HDT1000 with loaded tires (front and rear), rear wheel weights and the Brinly 3-pt plow.

It was my first time for plowing, and I really needed all the help I could get.

The guys over there were great, and pretty soon we had it very close.

Due to no fault of their own, the field was in pretty bad condition for plowing. It had a thick layer of stalks and in places an even thicker layer of a mulch of some sort that the field's owner had put down as the path for the corn maze that he had there.

It was plow for 10-15 feet, clear out the huge mass of stalks built up in front of the plow, plow for another 10-15 feet,...

I only made one pass down and one pass up the field, as it was just too much like work :D :D :D

After that, I went over to where they were starting to pull and asked if I could pull using the A-frame on my 3-pt as I had taken the hitch off the rear end because it interferes with the stabilizing chains on the 3-pt.

They said that it would be OK as long as they could hook the chain from the sled to it. So off I went to the trailer, dropped the plow and put on the A-frame.

Back to the pulling area, gave the lady $5.00 and I was now ready for my very first pull as well.

It was a dead weight pull with weights piled on it. Im not sure where they started but after each round, they put on another 100lbs. and those that did a 'full pull' (around 15' or so} went again.

When it got to 2,050 lbs, I really struggled, and was sure that I wasn't going to survive the next round.

However, a gentleman there took me aside and said that he was watching the pull, and that during it, I had too much weight on the front tires. He said that if I raised the hitch that would help transfer some of that weight to the rears, and give me better traction. Others around us concurred, so I asked him if he would take a look and give some advice on how high to raise it since I could do that with the 3-pt.

He took a look at it, and said just start raising the hitch and I'll tell you when to stop. I did just that, and after around 3-4" he said stop and try that.

This time, at 2,150 lbs, the HDT just walked down the track like they had taken weight OFF the sled instead of adding it! I also noticed that the front tires were just barely skinning the ground which was just enough to give me a wee bit of steering.

Only two of us survived the next round at 2,250 lbs, and that was where it ended, as they had run out or weight to put on the sled. I'm pretty confident that the HDT would have been good for 2,350 if not more but sadly, that wasn't to be.

So with the help of a danged good tractor, a helpful bystander, and clueless driver, I managed to tie for 1st place. :dancingbanana: 

Running out of weight for the sled also helped contribute to that as well, as there was no possible way for the HDT to have out pulled the fella that I tied with.

It was one heck of a lot of fun, and I thoroughly enjoyed the experience, and will be sure to go to their next Plow Day in the Spring.

Oh, the 'goodie' that I brought back?

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_4941.JPG

• DH1, Gtractor, Alc and 8 others have said thanks

#2 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted November 18, 2013 - 01:39 AM

Glad you had a good time OB. Was someone able to get video of it? :smilewink: Glad you enjoyed your first pull and I hope itll be something to look forward to in the future.

• hamman and JRJ have said thanks

#3 MyBolens1053 OFFLINE  

MyBolens1053
  • Member No: 50025
  • 634 Thanks
  • 566 posts

Posted November 18, 2013 - 01:44 AM

Awesome experience you describe here. Way to go tying for first place in the pull. I guess they will get prepared for your return and have more weight waiting for you. LOL.

• hamman, Dieselcubmike and JRJ have said thanks

#4 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted November 18, 2013 - 01:52 AM

It was a HECK of a lot of fun, but pulling isn't something that I would be interested in unless it's something like this.

It was more about seeing how much YOUR tractor could pull than competing against each other.

There was every thing pulling from an 8 Hp Cub Cadet to a behemoth beast of a tractor that was built specifically for pulling.

I didn't take the first pic or vid, as I was too busy having fun :D :D :D

If you go to this thread:
http://gardentractor...wpgta-plow-day/

You can see some pics on page 2, and a vid of MH81 pulling on page 3.

If anyone took a vid of me pulling I don't know about it.

Edited by OldBuzzard, November 18, 2013 - 01:54 AM.

• boyscout862 and JRJ have said thanks

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,609 posts

Posted November 18, 2013 - 05:19 AM

OB, I just took pics, glad you had a good time, congrats.
BTW, they've been using up their broken engine parts this way for a couple of years... Ingenious.
  • JRJ said thank you

#6 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,449 Thanks
  • 6,616 posts

Posted November 18, 2013 - 06:25 AM

Glad your prize wasn't from your engine from pulling ! . It sure sounded like it was a great time for all .

• JRJ said thank you

#7 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted November 18, 2013 - 06:48 AM

I watch you pulling there. That sure is an impressive machine you've

got there. That was nice of the bystander to coach you, and it makes total

sense. I had been looking at a couple of the "pro" pullers that where there, and noticed

their hook up point was higher than the axle. Just a bit. I thought that odd, as one of the

rules was no wheelies, or your run would be stopped. I guess that's why a couple had wheelie wheels.

I'm guessing that by next spring, you'll have that Bolens loaded up with a few more hundred pounds

of weight. :thumbs:

Nice prize. I like that.

Edited by IamSherwood, November 18, 2013 - 06:49 AM.

• JRJ said thank you

#8 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted November 18, 2013 - 10:24 AM

The guys with the wheelie bars were allowed to do wheelies, but without them wheelies were an instant disqualification.

That makes perfect sense, as once you get the front wheels off the ground, there's a point, and it varies from tractor to tractor, where it takes very little for it to go over backwards, and it happens so fast that the driver just doesn't have time to react.

Going 'off course' was also supposed to be a disqualification, but they didn't really enforce that.  There were a couple of tractors that went off the track and still pulled in the next round. The "big beast" went out 2 or 3 times. No one seemed to be bothered about that, as it was fun watching that rascal point it's nose in the air and take off like a bat outa ....  :D :D :D

I won't be doing anything special for any pulling.  I'll just stay setup for plowing.  At most, I'll have front wheel weights.  I wanted them this year, but when I went to put them on, I found that the front wheels aren't setup for weights, so I'll have to drill holes for the mounting bolts. 

The hydro, (with the rear end in low range) helped a lot as did the REALLY aggressive tread on the ANCLA tires. The positraction rear end helped as well, as it kept me hooked up to the ground.

I could just ease on the pedal a wee bit to slowly get the sled moving, and then go faster after overcoming the initial inertia of the sled. I'm guessing that a hydro has a distinct advantage over a geared tractor when doing a dead weight pull like this one was.

Oh, I forgot to mention one other part.

I was the last to pull, so when I finished they needed to add weight.  After a number of pulls, it turned out that when it was my turn, the sled was at the opposite end of the track from where the weights were located.

The guys running the sled asked me if I could/would pull all the way to the far end, so that they wouldn't have to lug 100 lb. weight all that distance.

I said OK, so instead of just pulling the 10-15' length that was required, I was going from where ever the sled was located to the opposite end of the track. :D :D :D

I hope no one there thought I was showing off or anything like that. Especially the first time I did that, as the sled was all the way at the opposite end. I was just trying to save the sled guys some work.

• powerking56, IamSherwood and Dieselcubmike have said thanks

#9 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted November 18, 2013 - 01:56 PM

So Oldbuzzards can be taught new tricks. Sounds like you had a good time and learned an thing or three.

Dick 

• OldBuzzard and KennyP have said thanks

#10 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted November 18, 2013 - 06:09 PM

Great job, Dave!!  :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana:

Ben W.

#11 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted November 18, 2013 - 07:47 PM

So Oldbuzzards can be taught new tricks. Sounds like you had a good time and learned an thing or three.

Dick 

Yep, I've been around long enough to know when I don't know, and never refuse good advice from someone that knows what I don't.  :D :D :D