#16 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted December 21, 2010 - 11:43 PM

nra1ifer Do you have any pictures of your Speedex ?

Yes, there are a few in the registry, but none of the pictures have the hillers attached.

I can get some pictures of them, but I don't know when I'll have a chance real soon.

Garden Tractor Talk - Forums - Registry Database

#17 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted December 22, 2010 - 10:24 PM

I did a search for bed makers , too large and expensive for my garden but now there are more things to think about on how to build this raised bed maker - make it so plastic mulch could be laid over the raised bed by hand ,with an a slight depression on either side so the plastic can be cover with dirt (to hold it down). My sweet potatoes did better in the plastic this year then with newspaper or wood chip mulches .

#18 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted December 24, 2010 - 11:50 AM

Found this by a websitepowerbedder-1.jpg combo tiller and bed maker, they called it a power bedder I might be able to something like this but on a smaller scale

#19 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted December 24, 2010 - 12:19 PM

Found this by a website[ATTACH=CONFIG]8534[/ATTACH] combo tiller and bed maker, they called it a power bedder I might be able to something like this but on a smaller scale

That's a nice piece of equipment. I bet I could make some guides out of sheet metal to make my Cub #1 tiller make beds something like that. Hmmmmm

#20 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted December 25, 2010 - 08:59 AM

I was thinking something that bolts on to the tiller frame work and is adjustable . The tiller isn't as wide as the tractor but is offset to one side enough to till the tire track. To make wide beds might be able to remove the other side and do two passes , one in each direction .

#21 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 10, 2011 - 09:16 PM

I see this is an old thread, but I'll post anyway. I used to use a Gilson Rear Tine Tiller. And it had a hiller attatchment that fit on the back.
The hiller just looked like a large field cultivatoer shovel, and pushed the soil off to the sides as you ran through the garden.
It would not be as effective for making large beds as the disk type pictures above. But I used it constantly for Sweet Potatoes and potatoes.

#22 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 04, 2011 - 10:53 PM

I'm going to add to this again. I have been thinking on this quite a bit since like someone else said my whole place is a hill and beds on a contour would be wise.
You mentioned something to attatch to the tiller and I think that might work. Maybe left & right Sweeps for a field cultivator?
Or could one put a tool bar on the back like the hiller in the first picture I think Old Cowhand posted.
On another site on a thread on plowing a guy had a 430 with a 2" solid square bar on the fronat about axle heightt, He said it worked well for leveling the tops of the beds.
So now I have this idea of using the hilling discs on a tool bar with a bar off the back to level the tops off. As I said right now it is only an idea becaus I'm trying to figure out how to make it level the tops when the tractor is tilted on a slope.

#23 JoshBrown OFFLINE  

JoshBrown

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1978
  • 20 Thanks
  • 277 posts

Posted March 05, 2011 - 12:59 AM

Here is the little hiller I made from a old disk that I don't have any use for.
100_3440.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_3439.jpg
  • 100_3437.jpg
  • 100_3441.jpg
  • 100_3438.jpg

#24 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted March 05, 2011 - 07:25 AM

You did a great job in making the hiller

#25 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted March 05, 2011 - 08:02 AM

Josh, let us know how well your hiller works. I'm pretty sure I could do that to mine buy adding an angle to spread the disks wider . Al