#31 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted November 21, 2013 - 12:38 PM

Could there be a chance that a screw or nail get poked into the supply lines running them so close to the wall ? Maybe not be in spot where that could happen anyway.

There's always that chance. Normally you put metal plates on the 2x4s when you put pipes in like that, sometimes for wiring too. Obviosuly, that would be hard to do in this instance. Thsoe maybe outside walls so maybe nothing should ever get nailed to it???

My dad was putting baseboards in my sister's house years ago, drove a #8 finish nail right through a copper pipe for bathrooom that was on other side of wall.

• MyBolens1053 said thank you

#32 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted November 21, 2013 - 02:39 PM

I am still not sold on the PEX....

I still prefer copper, Although the pex looks so easy to run, I"m just not sold on it lasting for years and years

#33 MyBolens1053 OFFLINE  

MyBolens1053
  • Member No: 50025
  • 634 Thanks
  • 566 posts

Posted November 21, 2013 - 09:03 PM

What's the valve up on/in the wall for? Shut off valve or something?

I'm thinking of running PEX and using those same crimp type clamps for my next projects. I can get the crimper for about $35. The other style, those bands, wow, that tool is like $80

Hey Tahoe,

That valve is the shower valve of the Moens shower kit I bought. Single handle design and temperature setting type.

The crimps work just fine and yes, the tool is about $35. I don't trust the compression ring style.

#34 MyBolens1053 OFFLINE  

MyBolens1053
  • 634 Thanks
  • 566 posts

Posted November 21, 2013 - 09:09 PM

Could there be a chance that a screw or nail get poked into the supply lines running them so close to the wall ? Maybe not be in spot where that could happen anyway.

Considering that I'm the plumber, carpenter, sheetrock guy, tile installer and electrician I am pretty much on the know of where the lines and stuff are. And the other part is setting them that far back is against what used to be the outside wall of the house. It's about 8" thick. Good observation, though.

• Alc, oldedeeres and Sawdust have said thanks

#35 MyBolens1053 OFFLINE  

MyBolens1053
  • 634 Thanks
  • 566 posts

Posted November 21, 2013 - 09:17 PM

I am still not sold on the PEX....

I still prefer copper, Although the pex looks so easy to run, I"m just not sold on it lasting for years and years

The product before PEX became the latest was called Qest. The pipe itself was great. The plastic elbows and other connectors are what sunk that company into bankruptcy and law suits.

Pex, before being approved for water was originally used in the natural gas and propane industry. The walls are thick and will allow some expansion if water freezes in them. GatorBite connectors work great on this stuff, too.

I decided on PEX because of the wind chill and temps of winter in this area. 4 to 6 months of nighttime freezing.

• Alc and oldedeeres have said thanks

#36 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted November 21, 2013 - 10:31 PM

AAAHHH, that's where the shower is going with the mixer valve, didn't put 2 & 2 together.

From my research recently on the PEX, it, in various forms, has been used in Europe for close to 30 yrs, just hitting the states in last 8-10 yrs, seems to be really gaining steam in last couple years.

They have been using this type of plastic piping in campers for 30 plus years with out issues. I like the ease of use and how cheap it is over copper pipes. I'm very traditional, but can change on this one.

Shoot, the main water pipe coming into my house from the well is a HD plastic, it's held up since '78 and still going!

#37 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted November 22, 2013 - 06:27 AM

Having the pipes run right next to a 8" wall is like how my copper pipes run in the garage under our kitchen  , they run down the 8" block wall with fausets in the garage  . I'm not lucky if they was a way to hit somthing in the wall that would be me lol