sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted November 17, 2013 - 06:47 PM

Just wanted to bragg a little on my sorry old dog Peat. For many years I ran him in Boykin Spaniel field trials in the Carolina's. He is now 12 years of age and pretty much a house dog at this point. I was asked to judge an upland hunt test this weekend that is a BSS sponsored upland hunt test. Peat was the first Boykin to earn an Open Upland Hunter title several years back. I decided to let him run again, not for the potential pass, but because I figured this was probably the last time he would ever compete. Keep in mind, at 12 years of age, I do not train him any more, so we went to this test "cold". Saturday the dogs were having issues scenting the birds, Peat was no exception. His quartering was not as clean, no surprise since he had not done this for a long time. We picked up some birds but I did not want him to over heat. On water his instincts helped him over come his poor eye sight and memory, and he picked up his two birds. The next part of the series is a "blind". The bird is planted with out the dog seeing it and he must go in a direction his handler tells him to find the bird. The dog must have confidence in his handler and believes the handler when he is cast out to go find the bird. Peat took his cast and after several casts and some refusals he picked up his bird. He had fun, but not good enough for earning a "pass".
We went home that night and I was not sure he would be able to physically run the test the next day. I suspected he would be "stove up" from all the exercise the day before and would be too tired to go. This morning when I got up, he was dead asleep on his bed, calling his name finally got him up. He seemed in good shape and was waiting out by the door ready to go. When we came into the field today, the scent conditions were better. When I cast him out to "huntem up"- his pace was much faster and his quartering pattern was much better. It was like this old rusty dog had remembered the game and how it was played. He got his three flushes and retrieve and we were out of the field looking okay. Not perfect, but maybe good enough. The water series had two marks. One duck landed in the water and the other mark had the duck landing on dry ground. He would have to swim across the pond, climb out of the pond and pick the duck off the ground 10 or so feet back. Years ago this would have not have been a big deal, but it had been a long time since he had done this, and now much older there was a good chance he would not be able to do it. The birds were thrown and I sent him for this duck on land. He was looking good till he came to the pond bank and he started looking for the bird short of the land. After waiting to see if he could figure it out I decided to give him a cast to the bird. One toot on a whistle means sit/stay and turn and look at me. Since he was in the water, when he heard the whistle toot, he turned to see where I wanted him to go. I gave him a right "angle cast" and yelled " back", he turned right and climbed up on the bank and found the bird! He swam back across the pond delivered the bird and turned and stared out where he knew the other duck had fallen. The duck had floated 10 or so feet left of where it had landed so I had to "no" him off the original line of the fall and send him 10 ft to the left. He trusted my line and started swimming in the new direction. He made a few loops looking for the bird and finally scented it and picked it up. Two down and the "blind" to go. He was sent from the same place we had been, but this time he and I had to stand in some shallow water for him to take a good line to this blind. I cast him out and away he went, about 15 ft out, I blew the whistle and once he turned to look at me, gave him an " left over cast" , he took the initial cast but then started fading back right. (Most dogs will try to square back to the bank when they are swimming at an angle to the bank). Three more casts and we had our bird! Final part of this series he must honor another dog retrieving the ducks in the same test. I was nervous, since at this point he was pretty jacked up and ready for more ducks! (Not bad for a 12 year old dog!)The shots were fired and the working dog jumped in the water to get his birds. Peat stayed by my side, but he was ready to go! We were excused by the judge, our test was over and he had done good! Going on his instincts and those years of training had all come back to him to help him complete this test.

When they called his name out for earning an Upland Hunter Open pass, I can not say how grateful I was that he had come through one more time. I prayed this morning that he would have a good day. No expectations for a pass and ribbon, just that he would have fun and I would get a glimpse of the dog I had competed with many years ago. My prayers were answered and for that I will be eternally grateful! This evening, I sit in my office with my old warrior laying at my feet. We have been in many battles together. Today was one of the most fulfilling conquests we have ever made! Happy for today's success and sad because I know it was his final test.
image.jpg

Edited by sacsr, November 17, 2013 - 07:46 PM.

• DH1, Gtractor, MH81 and 21 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,458 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted November 17, 2013 - 06:54 PM

Awesome! He has earned his retirement!

• hamman, sacsr and jpackard56 have said thanks

#3 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted November 17, 2013 - 06:56 PM

Congratulations to Peat and you!! What a great story. He may be older but he is still wanting to please you for your love and affection. Sounds like he had a good trainer in you. That is half the battle in training a dog. Glad he did so well. Time for him and you to take a well deserved rest and now Peat can retire very proud.

Good Luck.      Roger.

• sacsr, jpackard56 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,293 Thanks
  • 28,625 posts

Posted November 17, 2013 - 07:00 PM

It doesn't have to be the final adventure, just that the adventures will start becoming less exerting.
Give your boy a scratch behind the ears for me and tell him we said Good Boy!
  • hamman, sacsr and jpackard56 have said thanks

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,639 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted November 17, 2013 - 07:01 PM

Great story Scott....thanks so much for sharing it.  Peat is a good dog, and he knows you're a great "dad" as well! 

• hamman, sacsr, jpackard56 and 1 other said thanks

#6 jerseyeyes ONLINE  

jerseyeyes
  • Member No: 9906
  • 198 Thanks
  • 74 posts

Posted November 17, 2013 - 07:21 PM

Enjoyed reading this Scott. Amazing to think of the desire these dogs have to work birds and please their masters. Congratulations Peat on a job well done!!!!!

#7 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,488 Thanks
  • 5,015 posts

Posted November 17, 2013 - 07:30 PM

Heart warming story. Thanks for posting it.  :thumbs:

#8 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted November 17, 2013 - 07:44 PM

Great story.  :thumbs:

The way Peat is going, he probably doesn't want to say quit!  There may just be another run up to come. 

Ben W.

• hamman, sacsr and oldedeeres have said thanks

#9 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,079 posts

Posted November 17, 2013 - 08:22 PM

Good job olé peat!
  • hamman and sacsr have said thanks

#10 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted November 17, 2013 - 08:50 PM

Great story & a good looking dog. I recently lost my black lab a few years ago & really miss that dog. It's amazing how loyal they are. Thanks for sharing.

#11 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted November 17, 2013 - 10:00 PM

Great Story. One of the greatest gifts to man is the sight of a well trained dog working.

#12 bgkid2966 ONLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted November 17, 2013 - 10:00 PM

Great job Peat! Thanks for sharing the story!

Geno

#13 Littledeere OFFLINE  

Littledeere

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2778
  • 1,545 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted November 17, 2013 - 10:06 PM

Great story hope you and him have many more years together.Amazeing how we and our pets connect know matter what it is they are our friends ,pals,companion.

I have missed mine greatly sence she has gone.

#14 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,866 Thanks
  • 3,198 posts

Posted November 23, 2013 - 11:35 PM

Sorry I didn't catch this post sooner, great story! Having done some field training with G.S.P.s back in the day, I know what this means to both you and Peat. There's nothing like watching an old pro doing his stuff and still loving it. Well done.

#15 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted January 15, 2016 - 09:41 PM

RIP Oyster Creek's Pistol Peat
I have been out of town at a trade show this week. Got home around 8:00 tonight and my wife said she had not been able to find Peat. I went looking fir him and found him in the back wooded corner of the lot.
Was my buddy and hunting partner for many years. He was 14 years old this past October.
  • MH81, hamman, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks