Tips For Stock Garden Tractors At The Pulls

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#46 Roland OFFLINE  

• Member No: 10765
  • 31 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted December 08, 2013 - 11:34 PM

I don't know too much about tractor pulls, but I was told that the Kohler on my 110 John Deere, wouldn't stall out as fast as my 19 FB Briggs and Stratton on my Jim Dandy. I will say that I never saw my Kohler Engine stall out, (she just spun wheels) when even my equipment in the garden got stuck on some roots though. Is it the same with an old Briggs and Stratton engine that runs well?

• JRJ and MountainMichael have said thanks

#47 tex tractor jack OFFLINE  

tex tractor jack

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1854
  • 41 Thanks
  • 86 posts

Posted December 27, 2013 - 03:55 PM

Just a couple of things from an old retired puller.

Front end off the ground, the higher it goes the more drawbar height you lose and the less it pulls up on the sled. If you don't just lift the front end to where it gets light, you have not transferred the maximum wieght to your back wheels for traction. Balance is the main item.

Tires digging in, you need to get traction but you do not want a pile of loose dirt to pull the sled over. So every track you pull on will dictate what stile of tire you use. The more you dig in also the more drawbar height you lose.

The more weight you are trying to rotate, the more HP you are using up. Put all the extra weights on your tractor. Again each track will be different.
  • Dieselcubmike, lesmeister and MountainMichael have said thanks

#48 lesmeister OFFLINE  

• Member No: 30635
  • 185 Thanks
  • 164 posts

Posted December 29, 2013 - 10:45 AM

I agree with you 100 percent jack, I have found that to be true in stock pullers especially. Some of the Lucas ppl pro stock guys have been playing with wheel weights to gain some enertia type power at the end of the pull, I couldn't tell a difference though.

#49 petrj6 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,701 Thanks
  • 2,161 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 06:11 PM

I do some hobby pulling here with allis chalmers b series, I have had good luck filling the tires with washer fluid, adding wheel weight's lots of them and adjusting the height of the rear hitch so the front wheel just come up of the ground enough to transfer the weight to the rear.  never been in a big competition though just hobby stuff at the fairs .  good luck and use what you like not what works best you will have more fun that way.

• Dieselcubmike and MountainMichael have said thanks