• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 Alberta Bolens OFFLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • Member No: 49650
  • 428 Thanks
  • 242 posts

Posted November 03, 2014 - 11:06 PM

So I started looking at the 317 today.  I discovered along with the wheel wieghts the rear tires have fluid in them.  I also see the rear rims and tires will interchange with my 425.  So instead of my home made weight setup for the 425 going to do a tire swap, look a lot better.  Need the weight on the 425 for pushing snow.

To get he old battery out, I had cut the battery clamp off the cables as they were  corroded up something ugly.   The PO had said the starter was no good and that was all that was really wrong wit it.  I hooked up a big battery with booster cables.  Yes the starter kicks out and squeals .  But it does turn the engine..  So out with the trusty squirt can with gas to prime the carb.  Sure enough it fired.  I thought maybe some fresh gas in the tank.  Good I checked I think the tank was empty.  A little more cranking on the noisy starter and its running, drawing fuel out of the tank.  I'm quite pleased with this as when the engine is warm it starts on about 1/2 a turn.  

I checked a few more things over starting it and shutting it off.  Suddenly it wouldn't start.  Turn over but no fire.  So back to the basics.  Squirted some fuel into the carb. Nothing.  It had been running, check the plugs and for spark.  NO spark!!  So I run a hot wire to coil and it runs.  Now I need to do some trouble shooting.  Maybe the switch or connection or bad wire from the switch.  

I do have one question.  It has a PTO shaft with pulley out the back that seems to turn all the time.  Is that normal?  The shaft seems to rattle a little.   I'm not used to the 317s.

Other than that it seems like a very clean, good sounding nice machine.  

Edited by Alberta Bolens, November 03, 2014 - 11:09 PM.

#17 Alberta Bolens OFFLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • 428 Thanks
  • 242 posts

Posted November 05, 2014 - 12:08 AM

Looking into the wiring / electrical problem tonight.  tracing the ignition wire from the key over to the PTO switch.  I find there is a dead spot in the PTO switch.   When the switch is in its sweet spot It starts and runs well.

Looks like the engine is a Gen II.  The Spec # is 24301 from I see that makes it a Gen II.  Also the yard the PO mowed was hilly and steep thats why he had wheel weights and fluid in the tires for the hills and stability as it seems to be the original engine.  

I'm not sure why the PO thought the starter was gone.  It is noisy however it starts the engine no problem.  I don't think I really need to do anything to this machine other than change the oil.  I will mow with it next spring see if the PTO switch and starter gives me trouble fix them then if needed.  Its a nice machine.

Edited by Alberta Bolens, November 05, 2014 - 12:09 AM.

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#18 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,461 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted November 05, 2014 - 12:20 AM

Sounds like you got a great machine that just needs to be run and maintained !! Congratulations Again !!

#19 Alberta Bolens OFFLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • 428 Thanks
  • 242 posts

Posted November 05, 2014 - 07:21 PM

Attached few photos.  Only one scratch on the corner of the hood, seat is great shape mower isn't even that beat up.  

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG-20141105-00559.jpg
  • IMG-20141105-00561.jpg
  • IMG-20141105-00560.jpg
  • IMG-20141105-00562.jpg

#20 Trav1s ONLINE  

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,586 Thanks
  • 3,736 posts

Posted November 05, 2014 - 07:23 PM

Wow!!!  Nice looking 317

#21 SonnyT OFFLINE  

• Member No: 382
  • 116 Thanks
  • 125 posts

Posted November 06, 2014 - 11:18 AM

Glad you got it running. don't forget to check points and the condensor for your no spark.

Rear  shaft does turn all the time. It is there to attach a pto shaft to run a 33 tiller.

#22 seva318 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 63250
  • 3 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted November 11, 2014 - 08:06 PM

Take a look at your drive shaft.  I pull the seat pan and gas tank to do this.  The fuel line is connected to the tank at the back on the bottom.  Only the later models had grease jerks in the drive shaft joints.  When the joint starts to go they make noise and vibrate.  They can make a mess if they come apart.  The rear is attached to the pump with a roll pin.  The front uses a key and can slide on the short shaft to the flywheel.