• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Alberta Bolens OFFLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • Member No: 49650
  • 442 Thanks
  • 252 posts

Posted November 17, 2013 - 01:10 AM

My 21 year old son found a 1997 VW jetta Diesel 280,000km on it.  Been sitting for ten months, no 5th gear, wont start.  I thought oh nice maybe we can get our money back by parting it out.  

Drag it home stopping by the carwash.  Put a battery in it and 4 way flashers are going and the starter is kaput.  Went to he friendly internet. and discovered that the security system is triggered if the battery is removed.  Locks out the starter.  Cool.  

We get it turning over ,put some air pressure in the fuel tank to force fuel through the filter up to the pump.  Crack the injector lines and crank it over no fuel.  Take out the shut off solenoid it works fine, still no fuel.  Hmm.   Maybe the pump is buggered.   Got nothing to loose.  I selected a nice little ball peen hammer a large long punch gave the pump a few selective taps but the fuel shut off.  Fuel starts to come out the injector lines.  10 minutes later its running.  

Over the next night or two we checked this thing out.  The body is ok for a $300 car.  Not a mark in the windshield.  (I figure if I can get 2 years on a windshield doing good)  Front brakes are next to new, steering etc is good.  Rear brakes had one weeping wheel cylinder so we did the brakes $200. Front tires $200, a signal light bulb.  It passes safety and he's driving it 75 km one way to work.  Think 5th gear must have a broken shift fork.  He is still getting 7.5 litters/100km or 35 mile/gallon.  

Now looking around trying to find a parts car for a transmission.  They seem to be going for $500 or more with wrecked engines or been in an accident.  

He was lucky this time.

• Alc, Texas Deere and Horse, sacsr and 2 others have said thanks

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted November 17, 2013 - 01:51 AM

Man, I would love to find one to commute 53 miles each way to work everyday. I wouldn't care how ugly it was. Congratulations

• JRJ said thank you

#3 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,723 Thanks
  • 8,906 posts

Posted November 17, 2013 - 01:51 AM

Around here, a used TDI is made out of gold I think. Nice find.

• JRJ said thank you

#4 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted November 17, 2013 - 02:37 AM

Thats a deal for Alberta..  welcome to the forum... hows the car in this snow we just got?

• JRJ said thank you

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 17, 2013 - 06:55 AM

Congrats to your son on the new VW. 280K is not a lot for that power train. The older TDI's are a better bet as a used car then the new ones. The old style injection system was simple and easy to repair. The new high pressure system in the 140hp engines yields a lot of power and makes a sweet power train with a 6 speed manual but the injection pumps have been known to grenade and send metal bits through the entire fuel system. This can cost upwards of 10K$ to fix. That's what keeps me from getting one. 

• Alc and JRJ have said thanks

#6 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted November 17, 2013 - 09:49 AM

Sister in law has a Jetta diesel about 2-3 years old. She really loves it and she gripes about everything!

She just had to have the entire fuel system replaced (VW's expense) because it wouldn't start.

• Alc and JRJ have said thanks

#7 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,705 Thanks
  • 8,559 posts

Posted November 17, 2013 - 11:18 AM

I know a few friend who have them and love them.  One guy bought one when they first came out and he is still driving it and getting great gas mileage.

#8 Alberta Bolens OFFLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • Member No: 49650
  • 442 Thanks
  • 252 posts

Posted November 17, 2013 - 11:59 AM

Thats a deal for Alberta..  welcome to the forum... hows the car in this snow we just got?

As he is 21 he is invincible. He left Ponoka at 10 pm Friday night going to Calgary. Part of that trip 60km/h His reasoning that be lot less traffic at that time of night. Came back last night.     Took me for a run around town.  The low end torque is nice.  He just lets out the clutch at an idle and the car moves without spinning.

• HDWildBill and Team_Green have said thanks

#9 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,485 Thanks
  • 4,945 posts

Posted November 17, 2013 - 01:33 PM

My coworker has a TDI in a jetta I think. He bought it to pull and swap into his TJ Jeep. He decided to make sure it ran good, etc and now that he's getting 35 or mpg back/forth to work, he's got second thoughts on the swap.

#10 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted November 17, 2013 - 02:35 PM

I had a VW rabbit diesel for several years and absolutely loved it. Never got less than 40 mpg.
That one only put out about 40 hp. Worked fine in Iowa where most interstate ramps are long and downhill I could get up to crusing speed to merge into traffic. It was under powered in KANSAS CITY Where most ramps are short and uphill.
Would buy a Jetta or gulf TDi in a heartbeat but people around here never let them go.

#11 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted November 17, 2013 - 07:42 PM

I love the concept but I will never own another vw product! My jetty was a pile.