• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,718 Thanks
  • 872 posts

Posted November 16, 2013 - 07:39 PM

Hello all, here i go adding another brand to my collection, i am beginning to know what it means when i here you guys talk about "wish i had the money" especally when sometimes its only a few hundred, i dont know weather to thank you guys or curse you, i have gone from having a mtd lawn mower to having over 30 decent gts from the 50s to 80s in less than 2 yrs (but it has been fun) anyways i was offered a rear engin gravely with blade, tire chains, owner says it runs good, but he says he replaced the carb with one off a vw, he thinks its 18 hp late 60s. been looking around the net and i have only come up with a g16 model onan engin, i am not fond of onan as cummings in canada does not support engins over 15yrs old, but i will go look at it tomorrow, he only wants $150 for it so its worth a look

• MH81 said thank you

#2 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted November 16, 2013 - 08:51 PM

Depends what era it is from.  I think the majority of Gravely riders had Kohler engines, both single and the occasional twin.  That said, it could still be an Onan.  Gravely riders are pretty tough machines by all accounts.  I do know one of the "weak points" was the clutches, as some of the models were almost life-threatening to replace the clutches in due to a very powerful compressed spring.  

I'd say it's worth taking a look at to see what it really is.  You can always say no after you look at it.

• superaben and farmer john have said thanks

#3 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted November 16, 2013 - 09:19 PM

Those who love those old Gravely riders really do love them.  I've never worked one, but the few I've moved through my shop always were nice machines and they really carry their age without the wear that many other machines show. 

They sell for good money down here.

Mose of what you need for an Onan, anyway, you can get off the internet.  Onanparts.com is a great resource, he's sent me quite a few packages.  :thumbs:

Ben W.

Edited by superaben, November 16, 2013 - 09:19 PM.

• farmer john said thank you

#4 Natureboy OFFLINE  

Natureboy
  • Member No: 49649
  • 73 Thanks
  • 86 posts

Posted November 18, 2013 - 12:48 PM

Not really familiar with them, but I saw one for sale on the roadside awhile back. Guy wanted $1200. for it. Looked like a solid build.

#5 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,579 Thanks
  • 3,959 posts

Posted November 18, 2013 - 03:43 PM

From what I have seen locally, they hold a higher value than other tractors of the same era. It seems the kohler is the most popular, but there are a few onans around. I never drove one so I don't know how they handle with the extra weight in the back.

#6 BowlBuilder OFFLINE  

BowlBuilder

• Member No: 8169
  • 446 Thanks
  • 427 posts

Posted November 18, 2013 - 04:05 PM

I've never ridden one, but it appears it would do well on sloped terrain with the engine mounted as low as it is.  I have always been interested in them and will probably own one when the right one (price/condition) comes along.  I, however prefer the Onan engines. Yes they are expensive to repair and maintain, but they run so smooth and have abundant amounts of torque.  JMHO

#7 Guest_Fluid_*

Guest_Fluid_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted November 20, 2013 - 01:29 AM

Hello all, here i go adding another brand to my collection, i am beginning to know what it means when i here you guys talk about "wish i had the money" especally when sometimes its only a few hundred, i dont know weather to thank you guys or curse you, i have gone from having a mtd lawn mower to having over 30 decent gts from the 50s to 80s in less than 2 yrs (but it has been fun) anyways i was offered a rear engin gravely with blade, tire chains, owner says it runs good, but he says he replaced the carb with one off a vw, he thinks its 18 hp late 60s. been looking around the net and i have only come up with a g16 model onan engin, i am not fond of onan as cummings in canada does not support engins over 15yrs old, but i will go look at it tomorrow, he only wants $150 for it so its worth a look

Do you know the model # of the gravely?  Is it 400, 800, 8000 series? I have 3, 1986   8123-G 12hp Kohler, single 40" deck.  1986   8179-G 17hp series II Kohler twin, 50" deck.  1973   816  16.5hp Onan, twin  50" deck.  The Onan is a good engine with tons of torque. Yes parts are expensive but you can get them on the net. An Onan is a very reliable engine, they are used on lots of standby generators and they have a cool sound when their running. The Gravely two and four wheel tractors are build to last and hold their value and have lots of accessories. I love them  The Kohler is also a good engine. They also used the Briggs on some Gravelys to.   

#8 Guest_Fluid_*

Guest_Fluid_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted November 22, 2013 - 06:38 PM

What ever happened with the Gravely?  Did you look at it?  If you do go and look at it maybe you could take some pics?

#9 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,718 Thanks
  • 872 posts

Posted November 22, 2013 - 08:14 PM

hi all, went and looked at it , junk, briggs motor no compression, he did have a home made that had me waving a lot of cash at, built in the 40s it was featured in popular mechanics, he had the magazine, but would not part with, his wifes grandfather built it