• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 973 posts

Posted November 16, 2013 - 09:28 AM

I'm looking for opinions on building a pair of rippers to fit a horse tiller.The tines would be removed and the rippers mounted so they are directly behind the tires on the tine gearbox housing. The plan is to make passes so they overlap making the distance 1/2 the ripper spacing. Linda and I have been debating the advantages or disadvantages of tilling in the veg garden. Some folks say it's great to thoroughly mix the soil and prevent hardpan. Others say it disturbs the different layers of organisms in the soil and they take time to get back where they want to be. Your thoughts and opinions will be appreciated.

BTW: I can't figure out why my posts are sometimes in normal text like this and sometimes bold like I'm shouting and once it appeared to be in some form of italic??

Mike                                                  

Edited by ol' stonebreaker, November 16, 2013 - 09:31 AM.

#2 GlenPettit OFFLINE  

GlenPettit
  • Member No: 34353
  • 520 Thanks
  • 143 posts

Posted November 16, 2013 - 02:43 PM

•  Over tilling is bad, in virgin soil without organic matter.  Pure soil, does have layers of organisms (usually 3-4" layers, down 2-3'), and more importantly is when you till.  Too wet, moist or even when too dry can lead to compaction & hardpan, soil needs air and open spaces to hold water.

•  With heavy organic soils, which stay naturally open for air & water, and host considerably more organisms throughout the 8-10" growing area, tilling is much less a problem, as long as you till when the conditions are best (not too wet not too dry), and especially good if you're adding more organic materials each time.  Tilling may be worst on the earthworms, but you will still leave a good supply of them.

•  It's important to remember that plants do not eat the organic matter, nor the live organisms; plant roots absorb the remains, the residue & the oils from the dead organisms.  The thin plant hairs also absorb the nutrients from the rocks, those plant hairs have little suction cups on the ends that give off an acid directly to the rocks to dissolve it's surface to take up the minerals.

In the summer I like to sit in the garden and rather than removing stones, I use a small sledge hammer & anvil to smash those stones into dust & tiny pieces, to supply next years plants with food (old timers called it "Rock Phosphate").  Great de-stresser too.  The "round stones" in the garden have basically given up all their surface minerals, when you smash the stones you'll see how the outside 1/8" layer is darker, the minerals are done, smashing stones will give the plants a new fresh surface to work on.  The metal tines in tilling do this a little, nicking.

•  Leave your regular tines on, just keep adding organic matter  (I pickup 100 bags of leaves in the Fall, till in half then, and save 50 for the Spring tilling).  Two-three passes in both the Spring & Fall are fine, and shallow passes in the paths in the Summer can actually conserve moisture (loose soil acts as its own mulch, as does an Organic Garden).   A healthy Organic garden does not need any chemical fertilizer, just the balance of organic materials you add and till into the soil.

Re: Posting,  In posting, "Use Full Editor" will give you all the options to do whatever you want and mare font corrections.

Edited by GlenPettit, November 16, 2013 - 02:56 PM.

• Alc and ol' stonebreaker have said thanks

#3 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,508 Thanks
  • 3,905 posts

Posted November 16, 2013 - 03:45 PM

I think that should work. One thing to keep in mind is that what works in one kind of soil won't always work in yours. Try it and each year keep tweaking it to get the result you want. I actually do both, till and a small ripper. In the spring I use a tool bar with 4" shovels to rip and break it up a bit to loosen and help dry it out. It helps to dry faster without pulverizing it. I then till when I am ready to plant. In the fall I till again to mix leaves and grass clippings in. I had tried to let the leaves on top, but that left a mat that kept the  ground too wet to til and plant. When I just tilled I had heavy organic matter for about 5", now that I rip first I have moderate organic matter for about 9". I am still adjusting my methods yet for better mixing and keeping organic matter. It will be interesting to hear more opinions on this.

• Alc said thank you