6 replies to this topic

#1 earthgrinder ONLINE  

earthgrinder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 450
  • 862 Thanks
  • 373 posts

Posted November 14, 2013 - 10:49 PM

For those living in Maryland,  I am looking for information on the Suitland Tractor Company that was located in Suitland, Maryland from 1951 until about 1975.  I know they sold Rototiller equipment, but was wondering if they sold other products.  I do know there was a gentleman there by the name of James A. West.  I don't know if he was a salesman or the owner of the company.

• hamman, jerseyeyes and JRJ have said thanks

#2 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted November 14, 2013 - 11:35 PM

Found this picture when I searched for Suitland Tractor Company. Hope it helps. Roger.suitlandtractorco.PNG

If you enlarge the picture it shows a bunch of what looks like tillers on the back of the 1951 Ford.

Edited by hamman, November 14, 2013 - 11:38 PM.

• Cvans and JRJ have said thanks

#3 earthgrinder ONLINE  

earthgrinder

• Contributor
  • 862 Thanks
  • 373 posts

Posted November 15, 2013 - 08:53 AM

Thanks, I found that one too and have emailed the site owner to see if he has more information.  All of my web search has pretty much turned up blank.  I am researching for an article I want to write on the photo attached.  This is a newspaper clipping.  I actually have a very nice large photo like the one in the clipping.  The Suitland Tractor Company provided the tiller in the photo.  I got the name of James West from information I received from the Eisenhower Library.  I checked with the BBB in Maryland and their records only go back 10 years.  Surely someone will remember this company.  I would like to know what they sold besides Rototillers.

Attached Thumbnails

• EisenhowerRototiller.jpg

Edited by earthgrinder, November 15, 2013 - 08:54 AM.

• Alc, hamman and JRJ have said thanks

#4 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted November 15, 2013 - 07:17 PM

The description of Suitland is that it is unincorporated and has no official borders  ( according to one source ) . Its' size has been down-sized   over the years . Finding its' actual location in today's world may be challenging .      i.e. The plant's former address if found may need a lot of translating .

#5 Kurtee OFFLINE  

Kurtee

• Member No: 7561
  • 463 Thanks
  • 415 posts

Posted November 15, 2013 - 09:43 PM

I can't say about Suitland but I can say my dad had one of those Ford 1/2 tons. The dealer told him when he bought it that "it was built with human hands and there might be some flaws". It worked on the wheel drive manure spreader too.

#6 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted November 15, 2013 - 10:34 PM

Found this picture when I searched for Suitland Tractor Company. Hope it helps. Roger.attachicon.gifsuitlandtractorco.PNG

If you enlarge the picture it shows a bunch of what looks like tillers on the back of the 1951 Ford.

I have worked on the MTS and IMTS  telephone systems mentioned  , even some that needed warm up time first . I am not even that old . Now any fool can text and drive - but damn , don't do it .

• earthgrinder said thank you

#7 earthgrinder ONLINE  

earthgrinder

• Contributor
  • 862 Thanks
  • 373 posts

Posted November 15, 2013 - 10:56 PM

Yes, I already have that picture and emailed the website owner.