• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 MadAtGrass OFFLINE  

MadAtGrass
  • Member No: 49320
  • 76 Thanks
  • 46 posts

Posted November 14, 2013 - 07:13 PM

I hate to see anything get scrapped that might be in one piece and usable so I need your help. I don't own a Gravely, although if I was offered one I would take it, or buy one cheap. I do respect them as a tractor so I can't allow this to get scrapped.

http://burlington.cr...4191132100.html

Description: 40" sweeper 30" mower 2 rotary plows and a box of parts all must go or I will scrap it make me an offer NNN.......(Please look at ad for a number.) 

I realize that the people on this forum are not necessarily in my area, so I would also like to know what you might offer if you were to buy this. I probably can't buy it, but if there's a chance I can save it I don't want to see it get trashed when it is so close to me. (Believe me, people around here are dumping metal like crazy if the item can't be sold to someone with a use for them.) So please speak up.

• Dieselcubmike, oldedeeres and JRJ have said thanks

#2 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted November 14, 2013 - 07:32 PM

I would offer him $40.00 and see what he says.

Dick

• oldedeeres and MadAtGrass have said thanks

#3 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,768 Thanks
  • 2,946 posts

Posted November 14, 2013 - 07:38 PM

Rotary plow is around 100 lbs, ditto for the 30 inch deck.  Sweeper maybe that much in metal.  So he is talking about 4-500 lbs maybe of metal.  I'd offer twice the scrap value of the iron and see what he says.  

Did a bit of poking online, what he has will probably be graded as contaminated ie mixed metals.  What I saw was 10-15 cents for contaminated cast iron, so at 30 cents, thats an offer of around $150.  I need to see if our resident scraper can comment on metal prices.

And yes, it would be a shame if this character scrapped these heavy duty implements.

• oldedeeres, JRJ and MadAtGrass have said thanks

#4 farmerall OFFLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8266
  • 2,200 Thanks
  • 1,473 posts

Posted November 14, 2013 - 07:58 PM

I would start at scrap price. Since there is no picture there is no way to tell if they are in good shape or if they are only worth scrap value.

• JRJ and MadAtGrass have said thanks

#5 MadAtGrass OFFLINE  

MadAtGrass
  • 76 Thanks
  • 46 posts

Posted November 14, 2013 - 08:24 PM

I'll check our local scrap prices and make sure I'm on the same page for mixed metal prices. If it turns out he would rather these items go to a good home he might be willing to go low. If he needs the money though, there might be a price close to scrap he'll accept.

• Dieselcubmike, oldedeeres and JRJ have said thanks

#6 Rock farmer ONLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,177 Thanks
  • 1,218 posts

Posted November 14, 2013 - 08:34 PM

When he says scrap. He's not talking about selling it. He's talking about throwing it in the scrap metal pile at the town dump. I'd offer $40 bucks. And when You meet him, maybe he'll take $20! My guess is he'd rather see it saved too. But. I wonder if these are walk behind attachments, or rider.
If its close by. And, you have the room why not.

Joe
  • oldedeeres and MadAtGrass have said thanks

#7 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,768 Thanks
  • 2,946 posts

Posted November 14, 2013 - 08:35 PM

Our resident scrap guy says around $11 per 100 lbs for mixed metal like those implements are.  So sounds like $55 might be about scrap price.  If he's willing to talk, make sure he understands the difference between "clean" metal which is all the same, and "contaminated" which is what those implements will count as.

#8 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 8,506 Thanks
  • 4,654 posts

Posted November 14, 2013 - 08:46 PM

"I will scrap it"  is a marketing ploy to entice people to call with an offer.  The potential buyer is supposed to think he can get a great deal this way.  Once in a while you can find a deal but usually the seller wants double what the item[s] are worth or 10 times scrap value. 

:deadhorse:

• oldedeeres, JRJ, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#9 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

HAZMAT CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 13,070 Thanks
  • 9,583 posts

Posted November 14, 2013 - 08:58 PM

I'm with Kris, it's a marketing ploy and nothing else.
  • oldedeeres, JRJ, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#10 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 5,896 Thanks
  • 5,809 posts

Posted November 14, 2013 - 10:23 PM

I'd hate to loose it because I didn't know the sellers true motives.  :wallbanging:

• JRJ and MadAtGrass have said thanks

#11 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted November 14, 2013 - 10:23 PM

If he scraps, he has to load it up and take it in someplace.  If he sells it, he just sits back while you load it, unless he helps you of course.

• JRJ, Sawdust and MadAtGrass have said thanks

#12 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 8,088 Thanks
  • 4,151 posts

Posted November 15, 2013 - 01:07 AM

To me it's worth the try to make an offer, nothing ventured, nothing gained.
  • KC9KAS, Rock farmer, JRJ and 1 other said thanks

#13 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 5,357 Thanks
  • 3,258 posts

Posted November 15, 2013 - 10:29 AM

I agree it's getting to be a selling tactic. Offer him a fair scrap price & remind him your doing all the loading.

#14 MadAtGrass OFFLINE  

MadAtGrass
  • 76 Thanks
  • 46 posts

Posted November 15, 2013 - 05:01 PM

"I will scrap it"  is a marketing ploy to entice people to call with an offer.  The potential buyer is supposed to think he can get a great deal this way.  Once in a while you can find a deal but usually the seller wants double what the item[s] are worth or 10 times scrap value. 

:deadhorse:

Gtractor, so true. I expect this person is trying to get more for the items than they're worth. I checked scrap prices, and they are $135.00 per ton for mixed metals right now. Depending on a 2,200 lb ton or 2,000 lb ton that's around 6 cents a pound. I am forced to let this sit for a while thanks to a physical injury, so some time on the Inter-web might do the trick of lowering his expectations, or some scrapper might get it. That's the way it is I guess, and dry room being hard to do at my house right now it might be a good idea wait all around.

If it's still up after a week, I'll give him a call to take a look. Maybe someone here will grab it who can put it to work.