Klopfenstein MF16

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 512
  • 1 Thanks
  • 42 posts

Posted December 16, 2010 - 08:27 PM

Hey Guys,

Does anyone have any tips on starting your Kohler in the winter? My K341 is very stuborn in the cold months of winter. I had couple guys tell me that they put a petcock in the head to get the piston to move easier...not sure about drilling a hole in the head. Does anyone know if there is a high torque started availible??

Steve

#2 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted December 16, 2010 - 08:38 PM

I'd try a synthetic oil if you haven't already. That will let things turn over more easily. You might also want to try some sort of block heater. There are magnetic ones available, or you can improvise with a battery blanket or trouble light.

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,292 Thanks
  • 28,623 posts

Posted December 16, 2010 - 08:59 PM

There were several suggestions for general starting in cold weather (regardless of engine type) found HERE

As for your engine, Does anyone know if the k341 has a spark advance or compression release for starting? If so, it may not be functioning correctly.

#4 dryrun OFFLINE  

dryrun

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1559
  • 56 Thanks
  • 342 posts

Posted December 16, 2010 - 09:29 PM

Steve, all the K series have ACRs. It is operated by two flyweights on the cam gear. There is a spring on the weights to return them to the release position. The tab on the cam that raises the valve could also be worn down enough to not lift the exh valve. You can take the cam cover off to see the tab and I believe you can tell if the spring is still hooked. I would really lean toward the valves being out of adjustment, or the spring being off. I don' t have a K manual in my comp now, So down load one, or maybe some of the other guys can get you a picture.

Sorry steve, just noticed in old manual that early Ks had auto spark advance, but could not find ser, or spec no. break. Could still be spring broke or off. But first, I would try the synthetic oil, block heater thing.

GEORGE

Edited by dryrun, December 16, 2010 - 10:06 PM.