Buying A Small Utility Trailer

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#16 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 39654
  • 1,332 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted November 15, 2013 - 01:14 PM

It's 1000lb, I checked into it when I bought my 4'X8' at the local auction, I need to finish the repairs on mine and get it titled as homade before I can uswe it.  (bougt it with no title for $60. :D )

#17 baerpath OFFLINE  

• Member No: 10928
  • 314 Thanks
  • 514 posts

Posted November 15, 2013 - 03:09 PM

In NYS, a trailer normally must be registered and inspected. A non-commercial trailer is exempt from the requirement for liability insurance. A non-commercial trailer is covered under the liability insurance of the motor vehicle that tows the trailer.

Trailer Registration

A trailer must be registered. There are machines and other devices that are similar to trailers or that look like trailers that are exempt from the requirement to be registered. Read form form MV-274 (Trailer-type Vehicles Not Requiring Registration) for more information.

The requirements to register a trailer are the same as the requirements to register a motor vehicle except that:

The NYSDMV does not issue a title certificate if the trailer has an unladen weight of 999 pounds or less. The proof of ownership issued if the trailer has an unladen weight of 999 pounds or less is a transferable registration.
Proof of insurance is not required to register a non-commercial trailer.
The expiration date for a trailer registration is December 31. A trailer registration is issued for one year, not for two years.
Trailer Inspection

An annual safetylb_icon1.png inspection is required for a trailer. A DMV-licensed inspection station that inspects passenger vehiclesicon1.png and other light-duty vehicles can inspect a trailer. The inspector will give you the inspection sticker. Carry the inspection sticker in the vehicle that tows the trailer.

Just so were on the same page