#1 SearsYellow OFFLINE  

SearsYellow

Mower Extraordinaire

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10530
  • 449 Thanks
  • 561 posts

Posted November 13, 2013 - 04:34 PM

Excuse me for my inexperience on this but bare with me. I got a hydraulic front blade for my 300 today and wanted to make sure the fluid was at the appropriate levels. I assume that ALL hydraulic fluid runs from the rear end. I pulled the dip stick out (@ the rear end) and it looked like a spring but no place to tell where the appropriate level was. I hooked the blade up and it worked great.  The rear fluid needs to be changed  bad because it was black. Is there another hydraulic reservoir located on this model? I am really green when it comes to these Green garden tractors and plus I can't find a manual for these either. I know JD contacted this website because of copyright infringement but right now I can't afford to pay 40 bucks for one.

• JRJ said thank you

#2 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted November 13, 2013 - 05:39 PM

Some of the models you can get the manual on a CD for a lot less, then there is someone that has it where you can down load it to your computer and there it is or you can even print your own copy and have it that way also. These can be had for a lot less than $40.00.

I don't have an answer to your original question but there should be someone along before long that can help you.

Dick 

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 13, 2013 - 07:17 PM

It sounds like you have an early 300 with the dipstick. The later ones and the nearly identical 316 had the fluid level gauge and no dip stick. I have a 314 and 317 which both have the gauge. I will send you a PM with some info. that may help. You can also look at the parts diagrams on jdparts.com. Do a model search for 300 then find the 300 garden tractor in the list. It may be included with the 316 as they are really the same tractor in slightly different versions. 

#4 SearsYellow OFFLINE  

SearsYellow

Mower Extraordinaire

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10530
  • 449 Thanks
  • 561 posts

Posted November 13, 2013 - 08:30 PM

It's a 1975 John Deere 300 with 3 point hitch, hydraulic deck lift and hydraulic snow plow. It does have the 4 ports in front and 2 ports in the back used for 3 point hitch.

#5 Delmar ONLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,322 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted November 13, 2013 - 09:53 PM

that's a pretty special 300 that you have.  My 300 is a 1976 with 2 ports on the front and none on the back....  I will take a look at it tomorrow and tell you what the hydro fluid level check is. The one you described is the same as the one in my 1974 J D 140... I do know that they use a low viscosity transmission fluid.....  J D dealers still sell it.

p.s. .....Any pics????  you know we all want pics!!!

Edited by James henry, November 13, 2013 - 09:54 PM.