• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 13, 2013 - 02:20 PM

I have a line on a low hour CH18s and am wondering how much work it would be to drop that into a JD 317. It would be replacing a series 1 KT17. It's a V twin versus the old opposed  KT17.

#2 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,415 Thanks
  • 2,118 posts

Posted November 13, 2013 - 03:55 PM

You will need to do a little rewiring and change the key switch to the correct one for the motor. The stub shaft should switch between the motors not positive on that. The pto may be the biggest problem unless the length and dia is the same. You may also have to drill new holes in the mount brakets to line everything up.

#3 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted November 13, 2013 - 04:38 PM

Brian I did some searching and did not find much info on the Kohler swap. I did find kits for Briggs Vangard and Honda GX engines in the 317.

Like Bob said I think it should work but may require some tinkering. I would start by measuring the crank on both engines and maybe the height of the crank on both to see if the driveshaft would line up,  One kit supplier said to look closely at the joints for wear in the driveshaft or it could take out the crank.

I do think when done the V Twin would make a sweet Gt even better.

I know my brother put a Small Engine Warehouse 23 hp Briggs Vanguard Kit in his 420 and said it took some machineing to make it bolt up.  He Said his 30 yrs of machine shop at Maytag and 5 yrs with Vermeer in the machineshop  paid off on that job.

Edited by JD DANNELS, November 13, 2013 - 04:40 PM.

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 13, 2013 - 07:04 PM

Thanks for the input guys. The guy wants 500 for this engine but says it only has about 50hrs on it. I've yet to see pictures. I may have to go look at it on the weekend if he still has it. 

#5 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted November 13, 2013 - 10:35 PM

The crank would be my concern for the swap.  Where there is a will there is a way...

• JDBrian said thank you

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 14, 2013 - 11:29 AM

The crank would be my concern for the swap.  Where there is a will there is a way...

He says it's a 1" crank. He sent one blurry picture and the crankshaft looked strange so I've asked him specifically about it. I can't get there to look at it until Sunday Afternoon at the earliest so it may be a moot point anyway. It has an alternator, VR and muffler although the muffler looks pretty big. I'm going to see if I can find some measurements.

#7 Case-Closed OFFLINE  

Case-Closed
  • Member No: 13397
  • 225 Thanks
  • 123 posts

Posted November 22, 2013 - 11:45 PM

Just do it!! I just finished up putting a CH 18 in a Case 646. Had to fabricate everything, the project had some tough sections to deal with but now I have a gnarly little tractor. Check it out under Case, Colt, Ingersoll.

Edited by Case-Closed, November 22, 2013 - 11:46 PM.

• MH81 said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kohler ch18s, jd317, repower