Garden Tractor Forums banner

Did You Get Your Moose?

927 views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  Team_Green 
#1 ·
I'm wondering if TG got his winter meat in. How about the rest of you? What are you going to be eating? Venison? Bear?

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
Not if it's packed right =] I took last year and this year off so I could knock out a few babies with Momma, and I'm glad I filled the chest freezer with 3 of them buggers in '11. Good thing I did...I have 3 lbs of burger left, and may finally get a chance to go out...next weekend...maybe.

Seriously though, the way this stuff get's vacuum packed is light years ahead of the butcher paper we used to use. Venison was toast before a year in the freezer with that stuff. I can grab a loin and thaw it today, 2 years old, and have it taste, smell and look great.

#6 ·
Not if it's packed right =] I took last year and this year off so I could knock out a few babies with Momma, and I'm glad I filled the chest freezer with 3 of them buggers in '11. Godo thing I did...I have 3 lbs of burger left, and may finally get a chance to go out...next weekend...maybe.

Seriously though, the way this stuff get's vacuum packed is light years ahead of the butcher paper we used to use. Venison was toast before a year in the freezer with that stuff. I can grab a loin and thaw it today, 2 years old, and have it taste, smell and look great.
Yes, we use the vacuum bagger and everything comes out as though it was frozen just last week! NO more freezer burn at all!

#9 ·
My son has hung up his bow. Its trapping season and he loves that more. Last Sunday he was over for lunch and said he got 6 ***** the first day. He did say he had an invite for Shotgun season in december. And may take my .444 in January for a doe in the southern two tiers of counties of Iowa. I quit hunting deer since I am the only one in the house that will eat it.
If Bailey gets a deer he will bring me a ccouple medallions off the back strap annd that wiill hold me.

#10 ·
We don't hunt with a gun anymore, a camera does it for us now. When we raise cattle, sheep, chickens, ducks and turkeys, and catch fish, why kill deer, moose and elk? We did eat a grouse that killed itself on the front window the other day, but as a rule we'd sooner watch the wild life than eat it. No condemnation on those who do hunt, it's just our personal choice. Good luck to all, and may all your kills be quick and clean.

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
We did well this year at our place.

I got a 140" 3 1/2 year old 12 point opening day of archery and two does for the season. The wife got a nice 2 1/2 year old eight pointer opening of the firearm season.

Our buddy killed a buck we call half rack. He was a 3 1/2 year old with 7 points on one side and a spike on the other. Last year is when we noticed he lost his one antler way earlier than normal, we figured he must have damaged his petical and it carried over this year, he also got two doe.

And three other buddy's we asked to come in and help with our "doe patrol" harvested nine more does, hopefully another seven antler less and we can call it a year, but time is running out, we only have till the first week of Jan. and it's done for another year.

See on our land and the neighbors the deer are eating themselves out of house and home, just more deer than the land can support and keep them healthy. I think back to the days of farming. We never kept more critters than we had land to support them.

Plus it's better in our freezers then some ole wolf or coyote pack eating them alive, or packed in someone's grill.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.