8 replies to this topic

#1 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

Has anybody seen my coffee ?

• Member No: 325
  • 2,367 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted November 13, 2013 - 01:41 AM

There is a lot of grief thrown around about the cast iron Tecumseh engines. I have had six Sears tractors this year. 5 of hem have good running Teckys.

Attached Thumbnails

• 909169_398692610258274_754941487_n.jpg
  • 1372812_398723460255189_2042031882_n.jpg

• sacsr, boyscout862, robert_p43 and 1 other said thanks

#2 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted November 13, 2013 - 02:02 AM

Good looking SS. I like that seat. Put a bit of a butt cushion on it, and

that would be a comfy ride.

I find the problem with the Tech is the carb. Once you get that dialed they

do what they're meant to.

• rustyoldjunk and Dieselcubmike have said thanks

#3 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted November 13, 2013 - 02:13 AM

I agree with will. My three wheeler has a 5hp tec on it and it runs great. No every other one ive had its always been the carb and the same with the briggs. Its always those carbs but once you get them dialed in then you can really work them. I love my kohlers though :poke:  :D

• rustyoldjunk and IamSherwood have said thanks

#4 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted November 13, 2013 - 07:15 AM

Tecumseh really did make a good engine back when the H and V series were kings.  As long as you kept the oil high enough, they could last forever. 

Tecumseh screwed up when they went cheap.  That's when they received the terrible reputation, not before.  I have an old pushmower with an old Tecumseh on it that has been used to trim for nearly 25 years.  Starts on the first pull everytime. 

Ben W.

• rustyoldjunk, sacsr and Dieselcubmike have said thanks

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,266 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted November 13, 2013 - 07:18 AM

Boy, I feel less alone now
Thanks guys :D
  • rustyoldjunk, IamSherwood and Dieselcubmike have said thanks

#6 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted November 13, 2013 - 07:24 AM

Boy, I feel less alone now
Thanks guys :D

We try to keep you happy Alan. :D

• rustyoldjunk and MH81 have said thanks

#7 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted November 13, 2013 - 09:02 AM

The problems with the Tecumsehs that I hear about are 1- carb.  Either it needs a service jet ot the throttle shaft is loose and it is sucking air.  Both of these things can be fixed with available parts.  2- I only hear of problems with the SSI Tecumsehs, not the points and mag ones.  The only SSi failures that I have heard of were operator caused failures.  The ignition switch fails and the replacement switch isn't wired properly or it is different and is not connected properly and the SSI burns out. Other than that STRONG,, STRONG, STRONG.  Did I mention that these engines are STRONG?  And Powerfull.

• rustyoldjunk said thank you

#8 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,293 Thanks
  • 2,329 posts

Posted November 13, 2013 - 09:41 AM

I like the Tecumseh Blocks.They're Carbs are junk though.They plug up very easily and cause the Engine to run Lean and HOT.That's why you see alot of Tecumseh engines with busted rods.That and they were run low on oil or the ignition timing was off and caused it to run lean.

The rods in the Tecumseh engines are not quite as heavy built as a Kohler rod and if you run them hot they don't take the heat very well.

Truthfully I don't like Kohler k series blocks at all.They will run forever if you keep good rings in them but no other brand of engine that I've ever had to rebuild has needed rebored because the cylinder was Egg shaped.  

#9 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted November 13, 2013 - 10:45 AM

I have to agree, I love my Tec motors. The 6 Hp on the troybilt is the best motor I've ever had short of a SBC :D  Put it away in fall with old gas, never fails to start in the spring. My dad ran it low on oil once in 92, snapped rod. Replaced and still running since new in 1976.

All my Sears have Tecs, the cyls seem to never wear out. Newer ones like said, not so much , but up to about 77-78, good motors.

The OH160 motors were prone to valve seat failure, but keeping motor clean and running a little rich helps out a bunch to prevent it.

The problems with the Tecumsehs that I hear about are 1- carb.  Either it needs a service jet ot the throttle shaft is loose and it is sucking air.  Both of these things can be fixed with available parts.  2- I only hear of problems with the SSI Tecumsehs, not the points and mag ones.  The only SSi failures that I have heard of were operator caused failures.  The ignition switch fails and the replacement switch isn't wired properly or it is different and is not connected properly and the SSI burns out. Other than that STRONG,, STRONG, STRONG.  Did I mention that these engines are STRONG?  And Powerfull.

I agree and disagree.

AGREE on both failures, the carbs and their SSI modules.

Disagree- I lost 2 modules within a month due to just being old and getting hot. They just have an epoxy covering up electronics, there is no heat sink from the engine to protect them. You are right about people mis-wiring, but more oftne than not, just old electrical components failing.