35 replies to this topic

#16 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted December 16, 2010 - 03:22 PM

This is the kind of thing that convinced me to install sliding doors on both my shed and garage.

#17 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted December 16, 2010 - 04:13 PM

Get a pick or 5ft wrecking bar and remove the pavers, once you get under one the rest will come out.

#18 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted December 16, 2010 - 08:18 PM

Can you boil some water, pour it on them to remove them without harm? Don't feel too bad, I once washed out my shop floor and squeegeed the water off the floor and shut the garage door, which promptly froze solid as could be to the floor. It took a LOT of work to free that up!

#19 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted December 16, 2010 - 09:19 PM

This is the kind of thing that convinced me to install sliding doors on both my shed and garage.

I was wishing I had a roll door last night when I was trying to get in there, but the roll up doors that size are so ugly. Maybe I could make a slider out of the two I have?

#20 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted December 16, 2010 - 10:13 PM

Sound like a good reason to buy something with a FEL. "Honey its gonna take alot to get those pavers up!"

#21 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted December 17, 2010 - 01:28 AM

I was wishing I had a roll door last night when I was trying to get in there, but the roll up doors that size are so ugly. Maybe I could make a slider out of the two I have?

Mine don't roll up, they slide to the side like the old barn doors. The shed is just an 8x8 single slab, the garage is two 4x8 slabs. I have to move the fence a bit, one garage door only opens about half way, but that's a "when I fix my own fence" job. Ya ever notice that the things other people pay you to do never get done at your own house?

#22 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 17, 2010 - 05:47 AM

I find the problem ( at least for me ) with sliding doors in the winter is that the channel at the bottom will fill with ice,and then it is quite a job to get it out so the doors will slide.

#23 TUDOR OFFLINE  

TUDOR

Tractorholic

• Member No: 915
  • 543 Thanks
  • 497 posts

Posted December 17, 2010 - 05:50 AM

Propane cooking pot heater, 10 gallon pot, water pump, 50' of garden hose and a couple of pieces of 2" styrofoam. Weave the hose on the pavers in front of the door, cover it with the styrofoam and recirculate the water. The water does not have to be hot, just warm. I've melted a hose into ice pumping ice water out of my portable carport. Use the exterior grade foam, a couple of 2'x 8' panels, and cut to the size you need. That should thaw out the ground under the pavers, but it probably won't be quick and you'll have to keep an eye on the water level.

High temps won't make the job go faster. The heat transfers through the pavers and ground only so fast and I don't think anything over 100* will help, probable 70* or less would be as much as you can use effectively. Just guessing here. You also want to cover 50% more area than you need to open the door.

At least your frost shouldn't be as deep as ours.

Bob

#24 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted December 17, 2010 - 10:07 AM

I find the problem ( at least for me ) with sliding doors in the winter is that the channel at the bottom will fill with ice,and then it is quite a job to get it out so the doors will slide.

Yeah, but my option on the garage is shovelling snow enough for a four-foot door to swing open, since there isn't enough headroom in there for an overhead door. I don't think the people who built it were very tall.

I built the shed new, but there's a wooden ramp that forms the channel, so there's lots of room for debris and it's fairly well protected.

I was thinking about the original post and would be concerned that lowering the bricks near the garage might channel water into that space. I don't know the property, obviously, so I can't say for sure, but I think I would tend to shorten the doors, not lower the bricks.

#25 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted December 18, 2010 - 09:44 AM

Maynard, is the channel at the bottom made of metal like the one at the top? If so (and this is probably a job for summer) if you could remove the bottom track and install heat trace on the bottom of the track, You could turn it on when the cold weather hits and it would keep the track clear of ice for the winter. Just a thought.

#26 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 18, 2010 - 10:44 AM

Maynard, is the channel at the bottom made of metal like the one at the top? If so (and this is probably a job for summer) if you could remove the bottom track and install heat trace on the bottom of the track, You could turn it on when the cold weather hits and it would keep the track clear of ice for the winter. Just a thought.

Not metal,it's a channel in the concrete,but your idea is good though.

#27 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted December 18, 2010 - 11:03 AM

Not metal,it's a channel in the concrete,but your idea is good though.

Maynard, just pee in the channel & you'll get in there. But be sure to take a big cup of coffee with you so you can get back out after the first pee freezes. :bigrofl:

#28 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 18, 2010 - 01:46 PM

Maynard, just pee in the channel & you'll get in there. But be sure to take a big cup of coffee with you so you can get back out after the first pee freezes. :bigrofl:

Maybe four or five big cups of coffee :rofl2::rofl2: ,the channel is 24 feet long,I have 12 foot doors.

#29 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted December 18, 2010 - 06:20 PM

I am assuming that the doors are hinged on the outside and that they swing open. If you want to leave the pavers at the height they are now and leave the door the same height you could cut maybe the bottom 3 or 4 inches off of the bottom of the doors and then reattach them with hinges so the bottom of the door could be hinged up when you need to open the doors. Then the doors would clear the frost raised pavers in the winter and you could leave the hinged part of the door down the rest of the year.

#30 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted December 18, 2010 - 06:50 PM

I am assuming that the doors are hinged on the outside and that they swing open. If you want to leave the pavers at the height they are now and leave the door the same height you could cut maybe the bottom 3 or 4 inches off of the bottom of the doors and then reattach them with hinges so the bottom of the door could be hinged up when you need to open the doors. Then the doors would clear the frost raised pavers in the winter and you could leave the hinged part of the door down the rest of the year.

Yes, they swing open. They clear except when the ground is frozen. I would lower the pavers but then it's hard to back up onto the floor of the shed without my tires slipping on the cadet.

The hinged idea is great, thanks.