• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 keithbrainard OFFLINE  

keithbrainard
  • Member No: 48716
  • 2 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted November 12, 2013 - 01:35 PM

Been tinkering with my 917.5752 transmission and I found the clutch plate wasn't disengaging. I tore the tractor apart to learn how this ole work horse is built and found the clutch was pretty well froze up. I did find Sears still sells the axel seals  (WAY COOL!) but not the clutch facing. I read somewhere linoleum tile was used and worked great. I am trying to find a line on phenolic material to cut/make my own. Any ideas out there people found good success with? (cheap and easy is up my alley)

• freedhomemarcus and billievd16 have said thanks

#2 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,709 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted November 12, 2013 - 01:53 PM

Welcome to GTtalk Keith.  I have not heard or anyone using Linoleum tile as a clutch plate and I'm not to sure it that would last.  Have you tried some of our sponsors to see if they may have one.  Another Idea would be to check a later model and see if on out it would work.

#3 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted November 12, 2013 - 04:59 PM

... I am trying to find a line on phenolic material to cut/make my own. Any ideas out there people found good success with? (cheap and easy is up my alley)

When I had mine apart, I thought the plates looked like the stuff they use for laminating counter tops.  Not the pre-fabbed stuff, but the sheet-goods they sell at building supply stores for making your own custom counter tops.  One side would be smooth, but sand paper might fix that.  I'm not sure if it will work, but it might be worth trying if you are stuck.  You might be able to find a piece that got cut out of a sink hole or some off cut scraps.  Our Habitat for Humanity Restore often has small pieces.

• Alc said thank you

#4 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,728 Thanks
  • 4,286 posts

Posted November 12, 2013 - 05:25 PM

Welcome to the forum. There was a guy in Texas that was reproducing them. I think he used to advertise in LAGT. Not sure if he is still doing it or not. Lauber will probably know.

#5 Lauber1 ONLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted November 12, 2013 - 05:33 PM

his name is Sam Adams or Andrew, but I'll have to look to find the address or phone number. sometimes he has an ad on ebay. you have to use the correct thickness of material. just because it looks similar don't mean it the right stuff. The first few yrs used a spring clutch with a thinner disc than the later ball lock one. There isn't any real adjustment to the spring loaded one, that why you have to start out with the correct thickness,

• MH81 and Alc have said thanks

#6 VSTROM803 OFFLINE  

VSTROM803
  • Member No: 10269
  • 369 Thanks
  • 338 posts

Posted November 18, 2013 - 05:19 AM

The plates that a bush hog clutch use may work if you can find the right diameter. I took apart a DB clutch once that had flooring material in it as you mentioned. I don't know how well it worked for the previous owner though since it was just a junk parts tractor.

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted November 18, 2013 - 05:25 AM

his name is Sam Adams or Andrew, but I'll have to look to find the address or phone number. sometimes he has an ad on ebay. you have to use the correct thickness of material. just because it looks similar don't mean it the right stuff. The first few yrs used a spring clutch with a thinner disc than the later ball lock one. There isn't any real adjustment to the spring loaded one, that why you have to start out with the correct thickness,

I just looked on eBay, didnt find anything, but maybe typing wrong search terms.
Does anyone know OEM thickness and dims of the different clutch plates?

#8 VSTROM803 OFFLINE  

VSTROM803
  • Member No: 10269
  • 369 Thanks
  • 338 posts

Posted November 18, 2013 - 06:20 AM

O.D.=6"

I.D.=3-1/2"

THICKNESS= 1/8"

• MH81, Alc and keithbrainard have said thanks

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted November 18, 2013 - 07:01 AM

These are to small, but might be a useful search term or a clue to further research.
http://www.agrisuppl...219/&sid=&eid=/

And these guys have friction material.

http://www.allfricti...tsservices.html

http://www.knottbrak...m/friction.html

Just some alternate possibilities.
  • Alc and VSTROM803 have said thanks

#10 Mike Unwin OFFLINE  

Mike Unwin
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12382
  • 380 Thanks
  • 297 posts

Posted November 22, 2013 - 09:29 AM

TSC sells clutch plates for PTO shafts for large tractors,don,t know if the size is right but material should be correct. Good Luck Mike

• MH81 said thank you

#11 tractorlady47 OFFLINE  

tractorlady47
  • Member No: 62562
  • 7 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 02:18 PM

Hello,

I have a DB 57599 Super Power. The clutch facing needs to be replaced.  Does anyone have any ideas for how I can replace it? Are the clutch facings interchangeable between different DB models?

Thanks for the assist!

• Lauber1 said thank you

#12 Lauber1 ONLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 06:04 PM

the 99 uses the last type of DB clutch which is the one piece, and they are riveted to the pulley face. Usually the facing don't where out as much as they get out of adjustment. That model of tractor was reverse ready so there should be two pulleys, the outer one is the reverser , the inner one is the one with the clutch facing on it. In the center of the hub, there will 2 set screws, which you have to remove. in the very center of this is a large nut that threads to the R pulley. You have turn the R pulley forwards about 1/6th of a turn, while keeping the Nut still. This nut should have a pair of 5/16 threaded holes in it, where you have to bolt a bar to, to keep the nut still. You will have to make this tool, out of something like a 1/4" x 1" flat stock. If the facing actually bad , then there is a guy from Texas that makes new ones and sells them on Ebay.

• Alc and WHdbJD have said thanks

#13 tractorlady47 OFFLINE  

tractorlady47
  • 7 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 07:29 PM

Thanks so much for the assist. My son thinking the clutch was locked up when it failed to work took it apart. While trying to free it, it broke in two pieces.

I could not find the guy on Ebay. Do you have other contact info for him?

Are there any DB models I should stay away from that are not a good match?  

We use this tractor to get our field ready for growing, and it being down has delayed us. Trying to get it back into operation. Thanks again.

• Lauber1 said thank you

#14 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,728 Thanks
  • 4,286 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 08:02 PM

try this  http://www.mypeoplep...yparts/id7.html

• Lauber1 said thank you

#15 tractorlady47 OFFLINE  

tractorlady47
  • 7 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 08:07 PM

Thank you. I reached out to him and hopefully he is still fabricating them.

• Lauber1 said thank you