• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted November 11, 2013 - 09:17 PM

So the other day my dad's supervisor was using his rototiller to clean a small hillside when the motor locked up (someone forgot to check the oil) Well he replaced the motor with a newer one and then the transmission went out of it. Now its an older model. Its a 197? Roper walk behind with a 17 inch path. So I searched craigslist for a beat up one and the first one I see has a bad motor but good transmission on it so I can easily do a swap on it. Got it for 50$ and it turns out its an older Ariens rocket tiller serial number 1m. Its rusty but its complete and a very simple forward design. The old Briggs on the Ariens has compression but no spark but may keep it for something later down the road. SO what I plan on doing is tearing down the big pieces sanding priming and painting then reassembling it. I wanted to do a full restore on it but dad didn't want me to since I have the MTD 990 to start, the diesel to finish working on and everything else so it was a smart thing to do. As of right now its a faded yellow but in places you can see the Ariens orange so that's what im gonna paint it back to.

Attached Thumbnails

• 572.jpg
  • 573.jpg
  • 574.jpg
  • 575.jpg
  • 578.jpg
  • 580.jpg

Edited by Dieselcubmike, November 11, 2013 - 09:18 PM.

• hamman said thank you

#2 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,564 Thanks
  • 3,942 posts

Posted November 11, 2013 - 09:42 PM

Sounds like a neat project. Will the other motor bolt right on or will you have to do some fabbing?

• Dieselcubmike said thank you

#3 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted November 11, 2013 - 10:56 PM

As far as I know itll bolt right up with having to fab.

#4 B10Dave OFFLINE  

B10Dave

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1808
  • 386 Thanks
  • 250 posts

Posted November 14, 2013 - 11:32 PM

The Ariens Rocket tillers are a well built unit. My Dad used a Rocket 5 for about 15 years and then I bought it. I used it for weeding between the rows for 10 or so years and then sold it to a guy I work with. He has been using it for 3 years now and it is still original in every way; engine' tines etc. Great machines. Good luck on your rebuild....Dave