• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 973 posts

Posted November 11, 2013 - 05:44 PM

Picked up a Lincoln Weldanpower 250 G9 PRO for $80 today. The guy said he was grinding w/ it and the onan all of a sudden started pukin' lots of oil smoke. It's gonna have to wait 'til later in the winter as I have other projects ahead of it. When I find out what the damage is I'll be pickin' brains to see about parts availability. I'd like to find out if Lincoln had another make of engine on this welder. Unless this is an easy fix I'd rather go to a different brand engine if possible. Are Onan parts as hard to get as I've heard?

TIA,

Mike

PS: I may get lucky on this. I just went out and pulled the dipstick and it's more gas than oil. I'll just hope there's no cyl or brg damage. Someone mounted the gas tank so it was gravity feed. I'll remount the gas tank and get a new fuel pump for it. The old one is still there w/ the fuel fittings broke off,LOL!!

Edited by ol' stonebreaker, November 11, 2013 - 05:54 PM.

• MH81 said thank you

#2 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted November 11, 2013 - 06:34 PM

Sounds like it may be related to the Hemorrhoid. It fills the block with gas too. I bought a new fuel pump on Ebay from a seller that was listed as being in California. The tracking number came back as China it will be a month before it gets here. Good thing the grass isn't growing.

#3 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted November 11, 2013 - 07:06 PM

Wow, that sounds like you Might get lucky, all depends on how fast he got it shut down.

#4 jms180 OFFLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 915 Thanks
  • 1,207 posts

Posted November 11, 2013 - 07:09 PM

wow that is a great price. Welder engines would have the taper crank on the gen end. Hope the engine is ok.

#5 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted November 11, 2013 - 08:44 PM

When you want parts, you can deal with this guy: http://onanparts.com/

I have worked with him a bit, he knows what he is talking about with Onan.

Ben W.

#6 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 973 posts

Posted November 11, 2013 - 09:14 PM

Thanks, Ben!! I just put his site in my favorites.

Mike

#7 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 973 posts

Posted November 12, 2013 - 06:40 PM

Well, had some spare time today and tinkered w/ it. Dumped the gas/oil mix and added oil. Hooked jumpers to it and poured a little gas down the carb. It started and ran fine, no knocks or rattles. I think my luck's running good so far.
Mike

#8 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted November 12, 2013 - 06:46 PM

Drop the vacuum fuel pump, block the vacuum hose from the block & go electric.  What a smoking HOT deal!!!!!!!!!

#9 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 973 posts

Posted November 13, 2013 - 11:11 AM

Checked the pump and it's working fine. Took the top off the carb and everything look clean. Fired it up and ran fine for a couple of min. and the one cyl started missing and it was spitting back thru the carb. Fed it a heavy dose of marvel oil, shut it down to sit for 10 min. Started back up and everything seems fine. Guess the intake valve was sticking a little. The outlet end of the muffler is rotted out. Later I'll attempt to fab and weld in a patch for it.
OCH, I'll run the pump until it quits and then convert to electric. I need to take it to a friend who has extra leads and try the welder to be sure it works well before I put anymore $ in it.
Mike

#10 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted November 13, 2013 - 11:19 AM

The vacuum pumpis likely how the crankcase got filled with gas.  The pump will still pump fuel to the carb, but if there is a pinhole in the diaphragm, it will also send fuel into the block.

• MH81, IamSherwood and ol' stonebreaker have said thanks

#11 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 973 posts

Posted November 13, 2013 - 09:41 PM

That's good to know, OCH, I'll keep an eye on the oil to see if it's "making " oil. The surging returned and I finally figured out was getting too much fuel. Removed the carb top, took out the float and needle and blew out the hose and needle passage. Reassembled and it runs fine now. BTW, it has an inline fuel filter. Borrowed some leads from a friend and it wouldn't weld or make power. Removed the shroud and started checking things out. Finally noticed someone had removed the exciter fuse and fuse holder. Jerryrigged an inline 3 amp blade style fuse for temporary until I can get the new fuse and holder. It welds fine and makes power. Engine battery charger isn't working, will have to diagnose that later. Other than that she's good to go. I'll just keep my fingers crossed hoping the engine hasn't suffered damage I can't hear.

Mike

OCH, I got to thinkin' after I posted w/ the tank higher than the pump I could take the pump loose from the fan shroud, remove the vac hose and let it hang loose for awhile w/ the gas valve open, if there's a pinhole gas would run out the vac fitting. Right?

Edited by ol' stonebreaker, November 13, 2013 - 09:46 PM.

#12 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted November 13, 2013 - 09:51 PM

OCH, I got to thinkin' after I posted w/ the tank higher than the pump I could take the pump loose from the fan shroud, remove the vac hose and let it hang loose for awhile w/ the gas valve open, if there's a pinhole gas would run out the vac fitting. Right?

I would think it would, depending on size of any hole it might have.  It would of course pull much more with the vacuum on it though.  But with the tank higher than the pump and engine, the float needle valve issue would cause it to overflow when sitting, and the gas could leak pass the piston rings.  So if you find no pump leak, that's likely how the fuel got into the oil.

• ol' stonebreaker said thank you

#13 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 973 posts

Posted November 13, 2013 - 11:17 PM

Thanks, OCH!! I'll try that tomorrow. I'll be religious about closing the gas valve when not in use. I have myself trained well on my mig and torch tanks. So good, in fact, I have gone out to the garage in my skivvies at bedtime just to doublecheck on myself,LOL!!

Mike

#14 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted November 14, 2013 - 12:49 AM

What kind of float is in it? One of them is suspect and trouble (sticking) prone...

#15 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 973 posts

Posted November 14, 2013 - 10:40 AM

What kind of float is in it? One of them is suspect and trouble (sticking) prone...

It has the solid plastic floats. I held the pivot pin down while cranking it to see the floats in action. It starts and runs fine now so I think it just had a piece of crud in the needle seat.

Mike