1 reply to this topic

#1 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,530 Thanks
  • 6,382 posts

Posted November 11, 2013 - 04:39 PM

Have my 2114 mostly done. When I filled the gear cases (bull gear cases) they leaked real bad. Seems oil is coming from the mount bolts (4) that hold cases to frame. I tried tightening but they are bolts with nothing holding inside and turn and turn and turn, with no tightening.  SO, means I will be tearing whole rear down almost just to get to those bolt heads. Think PK had washers with felt or fiber sealing washer on those. Have heard of using silicone with washers. This is fine when you can just crank on the nut and hole the bolt while all apart.  I want to do MORE than that to allow tightening from outside EVEN if the case is together. SO, thinking of using a thin strap between the bolts, or maybe a rod over top of heads all tacked on. Could use thin tin too to bend up ends around head like flywheels used to have on the older cars/trucks, but think welded on would be more durable. Anyone ever do this and is there room for all that extra metal in case by gear?? I would think there would be plenty, but not sure. THEN, guess one would have to put bolts into case and weld the strap on them right there to make sure of alignment??  Hoping I wouldn't need to make holes bigger to allow  inserting and removing these bolts as the set they would be then. I would drill hole in the straps for the bolts to slip thru and tack the heads to it. Anyone see any problem with this idea?  Gaskets and seals for rest of the case are no problem then and should assemble just fine.

#2 Alc OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,293 Thanks
  • 6,497 posts

Posted November 11, 2013 - 09:01 PM

I had to look back in an old post , but I just used silcone to seal the washers/bolts  .