Garden Tractor Forums banner

Wpgta Plow Day

12K views 72 replies 20 participants last post by  wally471 
#1 ·
Any one going to the plow days this weekend and the beacon hotel in butler pa? i might go not to sure yet if i think the speedex can handle it

#2 ·
I'm giving it about a 1/2 thought.

I just pulled in from a roughly 3,000 mile road trip, and right now I'm kinda 'driven out'.

However in a day or two I might feel different :D :D :D

The weather forecast will play a role in that as well.

Is there a link to any info on exactly where it is?

#12 ·
It's been a little dry here but we have snow on the ground right now. With that little bit of snow melting, the plowing should be good. At first I didn't think I was going to make it this year, but recent events have me thinking that I may make it after all. I'm still not 100% certain but I'm feeling good enough about it to mount the plow on the tractor. Hope to be there.

#13 ·
Thanks Guys, here is the weather http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/16053?par=OAP&site=GENXV&code=webs&cm_ven=WOWs_voap&cm_cat=Generic&cm_ite=link&cm_pla=10-day

Here the weather for Nov. 16, 2013 event at the Beacon Hotel also a video made by one of our young member http://www.chapter34.com/apps/videos/videos/show/17967058-wpgta

http://chapter34.com

Hope to see you all there, all makes and models welcome. We have a young member with a speedex in the video that had a field day with it.

Wally Whitfield President WPGTA 724-799-0362

#14 ·
I was there :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana:

We are sitting in a Wal-Mart parking lot in Butler, and will leave for home in the morning. I had an absolutely FANTISTIC time.

Got to meet some fellow GTTers, got to try plowing with the HDT1000, and even entered to sled pull.

I had plenty of help getting the plow setup, and some REAL good advice at the sled pull.

I won't say how I did in the pull. I'll leave that to others :D :D :D

Plowing conditions were, I was told, horrible, but from what I could gather it wasn't something the WPGTA guys had any control of.

That won't deter me from going back in the Spring. A REALLY friendly bunch of guys.

I didn't take the first pic, so will have to rely on those that did. One fella said that his wife took 150 or so, and offered to send them to me via email when they get loaded onto his PC. I gladly took him up on his generous offer.

This is the first event of this type that I've gone to, and believe me, I'll be going back.

#15 ·
I Was there on the speedex bout 5 mins in i lost my key off my transmission had to find another but luckily the trader horn had one didnt get to pull but wanted to i plowed some the stupid corns stalks kept balling up and they had mulch that was deceiving sometime you could get through it others times you couldnt. Got to meet mh81 31 im not sure probably talk to you others but who knows

#16 · (Edited by Moderator)
The plowing was fun, but challenging. Since we all realized that cornstalks are a part of life and not a thing to be done about them, we made the best of it and had a ball.

It was about 10' to the next clean out of your plow, so we had fun even while we were cleaning out. Heck, Jeff (David Brown) and I were even setting "good examples" by throwing salks in from of each other (just to mess with each other). DH1 and the ET2 Massey had no problem with pulling the plow and the loss of the Tranny at FCVAEC was only a memory. It did a fine job.

The pull was fun too. This is the first year I participated in that.
Doug and the ET2 pulled, so I decided I would too. The ET2 did great and he had lots of power left, just ran out of traction.
My little SS12 did much better than I though she would, not being eliminated until the 1430# class. Just plain spun out. Many others were eliminated in that class too, so I didnt feel to bad.

There was a tie for first place. OB took it all the way to the end with another fellow. The HDT1000 did a fine job and in the end, the only other tractor that could keep up was a Cub that may or may not have been stock... They'd still be pulling, except the pullers only had 2500# of weight or so with them. I think the last class was 2530.

Of course, my favorite part of any of these events is the people. I finally got to meet IamSherwood, SuperSpeedex, and Old Buzzard as well as shake hands and catch up with many of my friends from years past. BTW, Will and Casey you guys have to bring a tractor the next time. OK, who am I missing?

A big thank you to the WPGTA, it's members also to the landowner and the Beacon Inn. We'll see you next year.

I do have a few pics, but they're on the camera. I will get them loaded up as soon as I can.

#17 ·
Yes, Alan and I were like a couple of kids out there. May I say, it's GREAT FUN having a horn on your tractor! Sorry Alan, couldn't resist. The plowing was, to say the least and keep things nice, challenging. Had it not been for the corn stalks, I think it would have been about perfect. It certainly wasn't up to the usual standards but, as stated, we made the best of it. I had to bow out early so my tractor could live to plow another day. It was really great meeting some forum members there as well. Hope everyone had a safe trip home.

#18 ·
... was a Cub that may or may not have been stock...
Wait till you pics of that beast. Cub? Stock? :bigrofl: :bigrofl: :bigrofl: :bigrofl:

I will say though that for me the most impressive tractor in the pull was Wally's (the club Prez if I'm not mistaken) little 8 Hp. Cub.

That little rascal pulled a BUNCH of weight and held on to close to the end.

Weight at the end was 2250 Lbs. I don't know if the HDT could have pulled too much more than that, but it would have been fun to see just how much it would pull.

They said that they will have more weigh in the Spring so maybe we will find out :D :D

I probably would have gone out on the pull before that except for some advice from a fella that was watching.

He said he watched me in the 3rd to last pull. I was struggling to get through it and came REAL close to losing traction.

He said that I still had a lot of weight on the front tires, and that I needed to raise my hitch. I asked him to look at where it was set, and he had me raise it about 3" or so.

On the next (which was the next to last) pull), The HDT just walked down the track with the front wheels just touching the ground enough to give a little bit of steering.

So, any success can be given to the "Helpful Stranger" and not me.

I was just the nut holding the steering wheel, and trying not to spin the tires. :D :D :D

#22 ·
OK, Here is what I have for pics. Took less this year.

Ryan said it's hard to take pics when you're ratchet-jawing...

Attachments

#23 ·
Yes, Alan and I were like a couple of kids out there. May I say, it's GREAT FUN having a horn on your tractor! Sorry Alan, couldn't resist. The plowing was, to say the least and keep things nice, challenging. Had it not been for the corn stalks, I think it would have been about perfect. It certainly wasn't up to the usual standards but, as stated, we made the best of it. I had to bow out early so my tractor could live to plow another day. It was really great meeting some forum members there as well. Hope everyone had a safe trip home.
Thanks for letting Ryan try out the Beaver. He really enjoyed it. We talked about it on the way home. Said the whole diesel thing would take a little getting used to. :D

#24 ·
Said the whole diesel thing would take a little getting used to. :D

Believe me, it doesn't take long! I'm glad he decided to try it out. I was anxious to see his reaction. Wasn't sure what to think when he said "it was fancy". Fancy? Really? This is two cylinder diesel, 15 hp of raw, unadulterated POWER! Fancy. I couldn't get any traction but that's beside the point. It's sad really. That Satoh is a drop and go tractor when it comes to plowing. Not today. I had hoped that Ryan would get my plow adjusted for me. Good kid.

#26 ·
Just got in about 1/2 hr ago and had a great time. This time before I crossed the border going back into Canada I washed the tractor and had no problem, last 2 times they said no US soil can come into Canada.

As far as plowing goes it was all my little electric tractor could do to do it but in-spite of all the trash, corn stacks, it did plow.

In the sled pull it pulled 730lbs, and almost pulled 930lbs (sled weight increased in 200lb increments) but the tractor stopped short and spun it's wheels. More tractor / wheel weight needed.

And the best part was the people, saw some members from before and some that I never seen.

I got some pictures I'll get uploaded some.

Can't wait for the next plowday to come.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.