#1 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,585 posts

Posted November 11, 2013 - 02:04 PM

I've been looking at maybe building a lift pole or something simular to that for the back of my Homelite T - 16 H. Was wondering if anyone had done this. As I get older it would be nice to have an attachment that I could put on to lift heavy items and move them around. If you have or have seen one I would welcome any pictures or ideas. Making the boom is not a problem. Making it work and stable is my concern. Thanks. Roger.

• JRJ said thank you

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 11, 2013 - 03:20 PM

What about trying to find a loader for it. Very useful for lifting all kinds of stuff. 

• hamman and JRJ have said thanks

#3 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted November 11, 2013 - 03:39 PM

It seems to me there are a few on here who have made boom poles for their GT. So someone should drop in on this one.

The only problem I see is the boom needs to be short or the front end can get very light.

I have a category 1 boompole for my Ford 1500. The tractor weighs just over 2,000 lbs with 4 70 lb weights on the rear and 3 33 lb weights on the front and I have to be careful or it's carrying the front wheels.

#4 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted November 11, 2013 - 03:47 PM

I bought a lite one once for my full size tractor an MM.  I found it acts very quickly when lifting and you gotta watch that for jambing your body parts or other items in the way. Even big tractor got light when moving metal for a flatbed  and some iron parts for other tractors. Think I would look into a fork like lift and use pallets if you have a 3pt on tractor. Another thing is they don't left far and best is to have a winch to help with more movement, but that becomes another addition and harder to make, plus they get all rusty if setting outside, and needing power to run it, or just a manual crank, which is STILL lots of work to crank.

Can you get that I don't care for them?  Make the forks or at least a platform for the back instead. Keeps stuff low and easy to roll onto it and safer. Just don't overload either kind, they are not Super Man strength on just a garden tractor.

#5 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted November 11, 2013 - 04:26 PM

I am with Grumpy on using forks.I have used forks for for years and they work especially well for moving items around on pallets.I have a boom pole but have never had it on a tractor.It came with some items I bought.

Attached Thumbnails

• lll 043.jpg
  • lll 044.jpg

• Alc, hamman, IamSherwood and 1 other said thanks

#6 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted November 11, 2013 - 04:35 PM

Roger there was someone just recently that had built what you may be looking for. I do not remember who it was but it sounded like what you are wanting and he built it himself and he also ran into the problem of weight transfer. Hopefully someone will chime in that know more about this than I do--I'm sorry I am of no more help.Like I said this was posted within the past 2 weeks.

Dick

• hamman said thank you

#7 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,585 posts

Posted November 11, 2013 - 05:01 PM

I was considering the pole boom because I don't have forks or plces to keep items on palets. I could use the lift boom to put reach to the back of the shed to lift and place things in there. I have a 400# front weight I can mount on the Homelite to counter the weight on the back. My lift is an electric one and I was thinking of using an extra (auto style) battery for it . I have the starter generator so I believe it would generate enough to charge the battery for the short time I would be using it. I have the simplicity style hitch and that is where I am kind of stumped. Making it work with the hitch I have. I like the one in the second picture username ( I love that name by the way) it is near what I was thinking. I have a 10' piece of schedual 30 3" pipe I can use. I have access to 1/2" rolled steel rod. I have had a lot of ideas and things to do but not a lot of money. Feeling better from all of the malities I have had in the last 4 yrs. and want to keep going. Spring will hold a lot of projects for us but being retired gives me equally or more time than projects.

I am going to try to draw up a picture of the boom I want and post it. Hopefully you guys will help me refine it. Thanks. Roger.

#8 Dee OFFLINE  

Dee

• Member No: 1853
  • 37 Thanks
  • 59 posts

Posted November 11, 2013 - 05:41 PM

I came across a trunk wheelchair lift and set it up on the back of my Allis B-110.  Good for about 150# and has 12 volt motor which I added a momentary switch for so I can raise or lower electrically.

• hamman said thank you

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted November 11, 2013 - 06:37 PM

I built one for my sears. It works great as long as you remember to slide the lift point according to weight. I need more front end weight to do big stuff (within weight limit of the Sears lift at least) http://gardentractor...ild/#entry47828

#10 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted November 11, 2013 - 07:30 PM

Didn't Kenny build a boom during the summer?

I recall it worked great for him.

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,482 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted November 11, 2013 - 07:37 PM

Didn't Kenny build a boom during the summer?

I recall it worked great for him.

Sure did Will! Here's the thread:   http://gardentractor...-this-gonna-be/

• IamSherwood said thank you

#12 Talntedmrgreen ONLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,062 Thanks
  • 2,177 posts

Posted November 12, 2013 - 08:38 AM

The problem with the other designs for you (us), Roger, is that we don't have a 3pt style hitch.  What I have come up with but never put to practice, was to build a lower frame/hitch off of a sleeve hitch design, but extending further outward, and widening.  Build a teepee shaped support that extends up from the end of that, to support a pole sitting atop it (like in MH81's sears build).  Mount that pole ridgid to the base of your hitch, nearest the tractor, and also to the top of the teepee...your pole is now at your desired upward agle, but it's hangin floppy on the tractor's hitch/drawbar.  Utilise the same 1" barstock and chain lift as early Simplicity/Allis tractors did with sleeve hitches, for lifting your lower frame and boom.  This means no mutiliation of the tractors lift, and is a rear attachment that pins on, like any other.  I also thought that perhaps using two dimensions of pole, to allow one to telescope inside the other would give extra reach and lift height for lighter weight objects.  A series of aligning holes within the pipes could be used with a bolt or hitch pin to collapse or extend the boom.

Biggest concern I would have, is that your tractor now lifts a bunch of weight far outward from the rear, with counterweight on the front, and huge stress on your frame to BGB connection point.  Early machines fatigue and fail here...your Homie is a bit stronger, but I would still recommend a subframe or ladder frame to bridge that poitn of the tractor.  You could pin it to your rear lower drawbar and then to your front attachment mount points. 

As a tease, here is one of my favorite builds, by a local fella who is also over on simpletractors.  He used one of the Harbor Freight truck bed hoists and adapted it to a homebuilt subframe and hitch.  Slick.

mini-toe1jpg.jpg

mini-toe4jpg.jpg

• MH81, Alc and hamman have said thanks

#13 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,585 posts

Posted November 12, 2013 - 05:25 PM

Looking at this and having sketched some ideas I am now going to see if I can't incorporate a "cage" that might go to the front and pin at the point for the mower and front blade as well as have a rail to mount a counter weight on. Thanks. Roger.