UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,729 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted November 11, 2013 - 06:31 PM

Most of the counter help at parts stores have never even opened the hood of a car.When they start asking me the list of questions I go nuts providing them with details that have nothing to do with the part I want. The old guys love it when a new person is there.

Counter guy What kind of vehilce is it.

Me :94.....Chevy......Suburban.....k2500....7.4l......automatic....aftermarket AC.....blue paint....grey seats....tinted glass...H2 wheels....

Counter guy : HUH?

• EricR, twostep and dodge trucker have said thanks

#17 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted November 11, 2013 - 07:23 PM

I am so tired of their "computer".... like has been said, most parts store help these days has no clue.
I used to be able to go to the shelf without going to the catalog (paper or electronic variety) as soon as I heard what they were wanting..

brakes on the front of most 90s Jeeps were the same... Wrangler, Cherokee or Grand Cherokee... rear shoes on my Cherokees, my Dakotas  Wranglers  (have owned multiples of each of these)  and my brother's Caravan take the same part number...

when I go in these days and say "cmon now all small block Dodges took the same sparkplugs since the '60s" they look at me like I'm stupid...

I have sold parts before and used to find what I needed faster in a paper catalog (or in my head) than some co workers could on the computer

and I also knew in many cases what other parts would work for that application and what (if anything) was different about it vs what the listing showed.

and yeah I know about the Honduh's  more reason for me to despise them.  I remember this one for some reason from eons ago... '94 Civic had 4 possible sets of front brake pads... US or Jap production,  Nissin calipers (or not)  a DX an EX an HF or what ever variations that year,
4 sets of pads to cover 1 model for 1 year"  was stupid when you consider a set of D-52s fit anything from a 69 Impala to a 75 88 to an 87 C-10 pickup or even a '94 Chevy G20 van.... 1 set of brakes, fit 25 years worth of vehicles... the only question was whether they wanted cheap grade, mid grade or Severe Duty pads?

#18 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,584 posts

Posted November 11, 2013 - 08:29 PM

I agree with everything that has been said. Parts counter guys should know more than they do... But a lot of it has to do with the J. Edgar Scheister Lawyer types.

For instance: Years ago, there were only one or two kinds of igniters in Gas stoves... Then someone built a better mouse trap.
Something was different, resistance probably, some part guy just handed the normal igniter to a guy who didnt have his model number and the ensuing fireball shortened the hem on his wife's apron... Law suit.

Where I work, we try to keep it all in perspective. We also know the most common belt number for a Whirlpool dryer is 341241 and the GE water valve will sub for a lot of older washers... but when it comes to the glow bar igniter for your stove or the high limit cutoff for the dryer, there can be differences and I don't want to be sued by your estate...

The more electronics and the newer it is, the less crossover stuff... More model specific parts, more dumb looks.

#19 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,509 Thanks
  • 3,908 posts

Posted November 11, 2013 - 09:25 PM

I have walked out of a store already without my parts. When I walk in and don't see a one of the good old parts guys, the repairs will have to wait until I get good service.

I guess I got spoiled at the local store close to where I used to live. One day I needed new wiper blades and checked which style I needed in the parking lot. By the time I got in the store the parts guy had pulled it up on his computer, walked out and pulled them off the rack and had them on the counter for me. He was a good with computer and the parts books.

#20 adamjd200 ONLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,391 Thanks
  • 1,526 posts

Posted November 12, 2013 - 01:48 PM

I had a good one a few years back.I was putting a motor in my brother 78 blazer and I told him while the motors out lets change the torque converter seal.We went to the parts store told them what we needed the employee went down through everything they asked got to the question  he asked is it manual or automatic trans?I just looked at him and thought are you serious.One of his coworkers overheard us and he said automatic.He needs a torque converter seal.

Also I went to pep boys to get new rear tires for my 79 Camaro to run at the track.I told them  I wanted 275/60/15 B.F Goodrich radial t/a's.They asked for what vehicle I told them.He looked it up and said I can't sell you that size tire for that vehicle you can only go 2 sizes bigger,besides that that size tire won't fit.I said I have the proof in the parking lot that they will.He went out and looked went and got his manager after a lot of b/s I got the tires.Never went there again. 

They did something similar to me and my dad at a walmart in rotterdam NY, only they told us that they couldn't just do one alxe they had to do both, and could only install the size specified onthe tag in the door jam.  We were in a bind becuase it was a sunday and we had to get to Massechusetts to pic my sister up from colledge.  Later found out that they installed the wrong sized lugg nuts and bs'd us into buying 4 brand new tires.

#21 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,729 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted November 12, 2013 - 04:44 PM

Many years back truck was dead and I borrowed a friends spare truck for a while. It was an 86 Nissan Hardbody. Beat to pieces, but it wouldn't die. While I had it I fixed almost everything that was wrong with it. It had been plagued by broken motor mounts for years so I called down to Advance and asked about them. The kid who answered the phone went through all the questions and then said, "There are no motor mounts available for that truck only transmission mounts, because it is a front wheel drive." I said no it isn't and then the arguement began. He wanted to fight me because I kept telling him the truck was a rear wheel drive. I even went so far as to tell him that there have only been 3 front wheel drive trucks sold in teh US and they were all cars that had the back chopped off: The little Volkswager, Dodge Rampage (and whatever they called the Chrylser version), and the Subaru Brat. He kept arguing. I told him I wanted to talk to his manager. (I as at my security job on a Saturday when the plant was closed so I had nothing else to do).

The manager go on and asked what the problem was. I said,"Your employee is and Idiot," and then recapped the conversation. The manager asked the guy if I was telling the truth and the guy said yes. Manager fired him on the spot and told him he needed to get a job at McDonalds. I got a discount on the motor mounts.

When I took the truck back to my buddy and he saw all the work I did to it he asked if I wanted to borrow his other truck for a while .LOL

• twostep, WNYTractorTinkerer and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#22 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,297 Thanks
  • 4,656 posts

Posted November 12, 2013 - 05:11 PM

Seems to almost always happen when you borrow something..  You gotta fix it!  

I'm pretty spoiled by our parts store downtown..  The guys working there are car nuts and know their stuff..

The parts suppliers, on the other hand....  Not so much!

So I took apart my 2005 GMC K2500HD to replace a wheel speed sensor and the brake caliper bracket's sliders and boots were in poor shape so I called and ordered a caliper repair kit.  I went down and picked it up and cleaned things up and removed the old parts and cleaned up the rust & junk to repair it.  I was working on the left caliper and wouldn't you know that the parts in the Dorman kit were 2 sets for the right caliper?!?!?!  I called and let them know about the problem..  OK-  we'll get you one by 5pm tonight..  I went down @ 5pm and took the old parts with me to make sure and guess what?  The other kit was exactly the same!  I returned the old kit and he ordered another set froom another manufacturer..  (raybestos)  The 3rd time was the charm but the boot kits had to be altered to put into the holes!  I spent about 2hrs refiting the new boots to fit!  grrr.   :wallbanging:  :wallbanging: 

I would have been better off just replacing the caliper mount! :deadhorse:  :(  :ah_shoot:

#23 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted November 14, 2013 - 09:53 AM

He looked it up and said I can't sell you that size tire for that vehicle you can only go 2 sizes bigger...

...at a walmart in rotterdam NY..... and could only install the size specified onthe tag in the door jam. 

For anyone that hasn't bought tires in while, you'll find that this is now standard operating procedure industry wide.  Walmart is especially know for it.

Due to liability concerns, most tire shops will only install the stock size and speed rating tire.

The other new thing tire shops are finding out about are the legal ramifications involved in dealing with TPMS (tire pressure monitoring systems.)  It's illegal to disable the system in any way.  This includes installing snow tires on separate wheels without the sensors.  The vehicle owner can do it themselves but a shop can't.  It's not just a liability issue, it's actually a criminal offense in violation of federal law with fines of $6000.  If a vehicle comes in with a non-working sensor, the shop can send it back out like that, but if a tech breaks a sensor while mounting your new tire and a new sensor isn't available, legally they have to hold your vehicle until it can be replaced.

Even if your set of snow tires has wheel sensors installed, many vehicle brands require special factory tools to program the car for the new sensors.  If your tire shop doesn't have the tool for your brand, they won't be able to swap the tires as a working system coming into the shop has to be working when it leaves the shop.

Keep in mind, any vehicle produced from 2007 and newer was required to have a TPMS system. 

Edited by Canawler, November 14, 2013 - 09:57 AM.

#24 adamjd200 ONLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,391 Thanks
  • 1,526 posts

Posted November 14, 2013 - 12:59 PM

Our old van is a 95' so it doesn't have the tire sensors. Aint it sad how johnny lawyer has to make everything difficult?

#25 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,729 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted November 14, 2013 - 06:32 PM

TPMS the government hard at work to make the world safe for people who are too stupid to live.

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#26 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,222 Thanks
  • 5,069 posts

Posted November 14, 2013 - 06:53 PM

I haven't owned a vehicle with the tpms.

My wife's kia has been on since 2010 the day she bought it.

My dad's jeep patriot always on. Fixed under warranty twice and broke both times.

It's a joke

Edited by toomanytoys84, November 14, 2013 - 06:53 PM.